AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Great endings to TV series
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yulie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CD wrote:
I haven't watched any of the Doctor Who or Torchwood as have been out of the country for some time and the DVDs are expensive - shame that they jumped the shark. I take it that seasons 1 to 3 of the former are good, though?

I haven't seen season 3 - my cable company just has endless reruns of the first two. But they are really good, the cast is great and it's a lot of fun. And there's an episode with both the Daleks and the Cybermen (and David Tennant) - what more can we ask for? The one in which the future is filled with android-based reality shows was pretty funny.

Quote:
I will watch anything with John Simms though - loved him since THE LAKES again back in the 90s.

Sorry - have drifted somewhat off the initial topic. Will definitely pick REMINGTON STEELE. I haven't heard of ST ELSEWHERE or NEWHART - are they pretty recent?

The Lakes was pretty intense stuff, and while I didn't always enjoy it, it was very interesting. St. Elsewhere is an 80s hospital drama, Newheart I haven't seen but it's not recent, either. Speaking of hospital shows, I thought the ending of MASH was pretty good.
Margaret

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Life on Mars... The American version, which I have not seen, has just been cancelled.

I've been enjoying Life on Mars (US) so I'm sorry to hear it's been cancelled. The only good news is that all season 1 will be aired and will have a wrap-up finale. I really enjoyed the star-crossed lovers storyline. Anyone want to spill the beans on how the UK version ended? Pretty please. I have watched a few of the episodes...I tried Ashes to Ashes becasue the actress was from one of my favourite shows MI 5 (SPOOKS).
Yulie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret, are you sure you want to know? library addict already posted a brief recap, but here's a longer one.

Spoiler zone: after being involved in a shootout with his fellow detectives, Sam wakes up in 2006 and returns to his regular life. He is unhappy, however, and decides to return to help his friends. To do this, he jumps off a building, and is reunited with the 1973 crew. Later, outside the pub, Sam and Annie kiss, but they are interrupted by Gene and the other guys because there's a robbery in progress. Sam hears on the car radio a paramedic’s voice saying that "he’s slipping away from us", but he switches channels. That's more or less it.
Kerstin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved the ending of "Sex and the City". The series ended at just the right moment and with the right sense of closure. "Six Feet Under" is also one series which wasn't drawn out too long or ended too soon and I liked the closure, too.
tirlittan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really liked Ashes to Ashes, but then again I'm also a fan of MI5, (more so of the earlier seasons, the direction it's gone now is so different from those it's almost a whole other show IMO) in which Keeley Hawes had a big role too.

I really liked the conflict that came in AtA with the whole theme of "a woman acting outside of the social rules of the time". Or of any time, for that matter: In addition to her coming from the future, it wasn't real to her so she was able to do as she pleased. Very liberating. ;)

Plus the 80's music, style, pop culture icons etc. are more nostalgic than the 70's for me personally. As for Gene, I didn't see his character as changing so much, for me it felt more like we simply got to see another side of him, the one he shows to women. (And remember, all this takes place ten years after LoM, a man ought to learn something in ten years IMO.) Wink AtA made me like his character even more. And it too ended well, staying true to the characters.

I do like Life on Mars (UK) as well. After all, it's the one that started it all, and I totally agree with the sentiment that the ending was just right. (A possible fate of Sam's later on is also referred to in AtA). I'll also second the praise for John Simms.

A bit OT, perhaps: I've also seen a couple of the first episodes of the US version of LoM. The setting was really interesting, but Gene was definitely more PC, and I'm always pulled out of the story when I notice them using the same shooting (ie. filming) angles etc. as in the original. I think the remakes work much better when you stay away from that. Otherwise, why bother? IIRC, a sad example of this was the comedy "Men Behaving Badly", which was great as the UK version and really sucked as the US remake: Too PC with different character traits, yet the same scenes shot in the same order as in the original. Duh.

Queer as Folk would be my example on how to do it well, if you must do it at all. I'm not a big fan of remakes in general, but some are good, even really good, if they stay true to the original idea and take their liberties in the realisation of it.

ETA. To clarify some points a bit more.
library addict

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CD wrote:
I haven't heard of ST ELSEWHERE or NEWHART - are they pretty recent?

Neither are very recent.

St Elsewhere ran from 1982-1988. It was the first large ensemble medical drama. Ensemble dramas didn't really become popular until Hill Street Blues in 1981. St Elsewhere had a great cast including Denzel Washington (in one of his early acting rolls), Mark Harmon, David Morse, and Helen Hunt.

Newhart aired from 1982-1990.

I think Magnum PI also had a nice series wrap-up. I was very happy they extended the show an extra season because if the season 7 finale had been the series finale as it was originally intended to be, it would have ranked as one of the worst series finales ever Razz
Cora

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CD wrote:

Davies also wrote THE SECOND COMING with Christopher Eccleston and CASANOVA with David Tennant prior to the Doctor Who franchise which makes me chuckle. Both mini-series are very good in different ways - I loved CASANOVA especially - Tennant really does the nerdish sex appeal very well.

I haven't seen The Second Coming but Casanova is indeed very good.

Quote:

I haven't watched any of the Doctor Who or Torchwood as have been out of the country for some time and the DVDs are expensive - shame that they jumped the shark. I take it that seasons 1 to 3 of the former are good, though?

Seasons 1 to 3 of Doctor Who are indeed good, though there are some weaker episodes (and two I don't like at all but everybody else does). Plus, if you like Life on Mars, John Simm plays a memorable villain in season three. I haven't watched season 4 because I was fed up with the whole franchise by then. But I know that they overloaded it with ex-companions and the cast from the two spin-offs, totally overshadowing the current companion.

As for Torchwood, if you must watch it, watch only the first season. I really liked that show at the time, because it was a more human-focussed SF show (humans are actually more of a problem than aliens/monsters), was very emotional at times and had five highly flawed but likable leads. The show was successful in the UK, but caught flak from professional TV critics and the SF community, because there was sex in it (fairly mild) and some bad language (again fairly mild), because it was fairly flexible with regard to sexual orientation, because the human stories trumped the SF ones and because it did not descend into the tedious politicizing and philosophizing that US SF shows are sometimes prone to. Some people also hated the setting - apparently it was not exciting enough. The critics were a vocal minority, but apparently they scared the production team to the point that the second season changed everything that had been good about the first. The characters were unrecognizable, sex, language and "character flaws" were toned down, events from the first season were ignored, episodes focussed on uninteresting secondary characters, Buffy and Doctor Who rejects were brought in as guest stars (and wasted in awful roles) and in the end they wrote out the best actor in the entire show and in a horrible way, too. I have never gone from loving a show to utterly hating it in so short a time. Best avoid it, since it will only break your heart anyway.

Quote:
I liked Gene much more in the British version. In the US version he's too politically correct underneath it all. I saw some previews for Ashes to Ashes, but I’m not sure if I will watch it or not. I’m not really a fan of Keeley Hawes and not at all sure I want to see Gene Hunt changed.

I was ambivalent about Ashes to Ashes at first, too, but it really works IMO.

Quote:

I'm not usually a fan of American remakes of British series but I thought LIFE ON MARS was one that would been an exception since the premise is founded on a love of American 70s cop dramas. It's a pity that they made Gene politically correct - that takes the whole fun out of it. Don't think I want to see ASHES TO ASHES from the description. I will watch anything with John Simms though - loved him since THE LAKES again back in the 90s.

Wasn't the British cop drama The Sweeney as much of an inspiration for Life on Mars as things like Starsky and Hutch?
library addict

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tirlittan wrote:
I really liked the conflict that came in AtA with the whole theme of "a woman acting outside of the social rules of the time". Or of any time, for that matter: In addition to her coming from the future, it wasn't real to her so she was able to do as she pleased. Very liberating. ;)

Plus the 80's music, style, pop culture icons etc. are more nostalgic than the 70's for me personally. As for Gene, I didn't see his character as changing so much, for me it felt more like we simply got to see another side of him, the one he shows to women. (And remember, all this takes place ten years after LoM, a man ought to learn something in ten years IMO.) Wink AtA made me like his character even more. And it too ended well, staying true to the characters.

I've watched the first 4 episodes of Ashes to Ashes. Though the plots aren't the best, I am actually enjoying Keeley Hawes’ performance more than I expected to. And you are right, Gene is still very much Gene Laughing Plus it is fun to listen to the early 80s music. I don’t think many people in the US are familiar with Bucks Fizz, so it was quite a treat to hear Making Your Mind Up in one of the episodes.

I liked the ending of the US version of Life on Mars more the the British one, but the more I think about it the less sense it actually makes :?

To stay on topic Wink , I think the end of Third Watch was handled very well. The writers had the character of Sully narrate a voice over of what happened to all the characters, professionally and personally, after the original precinct closed (it was partially destroyed in a fire as part of the last story arc). I wasn‘t a faithful watcher of the program, but I tuned in for most of the last season.
Yuri

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cora wrote:

As for Torchwood, if you must watch it, watch only the first season. I really liked that show at the time, because it was a more human-focussed SF show (humans are actually more of a problem than aliens/monsters), was very emotional at times and had five highly flawed but likable leads. The show was successful in the UK, but caught flak from professional TV critics and the SF community, because there was sex in it (fairly mild) and some bad language (again fairly mild), because it was fairly flexible with regard to sexual orientation, because the human stories trumped the SF ones and because it did not descend into the tedious politicizing and philosophizing that US SF shows are sometimes prone to. Some people also hated the setting - apparently it was not exciting enough. The critics were a vocal minority, but apparently they scared the production team to the point that the second season changed everything that had been good about the first. The characters were unrecognizable, sex, language and "character flaws" were toned down, events from the first season were ignored, episodes focussed on uninteresting secondary characters, Buffy and Doctor Who rejects were brought in as guest stars (and wasted in awful roles) and in the end they wrote out the best actor in the entire show and in a horrible way, too. I have never gone from loving a show to utterly hating it in so short a time. Best avoid it, since it will only break your heart anyway.

That's a shame Crying or Very sad Out of curiousity who did they kill off?

btw I can't believe no-one has mentioned Buffy! Plus I rather liked the end to Roswell, and even Firefly which although it didn't wrap anything up was a great episode!
Cora

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped watching Torchwood season 2 after episode 5 or so, because it was just so painful, but the following happened:

Whited out for spoiler space

They married off Gwen to her horrid boyfriend, even though the relationship was practically dead in season 1, and then killed off Owen (repeatedly) and Toshiko in the finale. Now I never cared about Toshiko, because she was underdeveloped and I disliked that she was constantly jealous of Gwen. But Owen was my favourite character and I hate what they did to him. Oh yes, and the writers were apparently trying to pair up Owen and Toshiko, too, even though he never showed the slightest interest in her and had far more chemistry with Gwen.

I don't think any show has ever gone so quickly from "absolute favourite" to "hate to even think of it".
Margaret

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I liked the ending of the US version of Life on Mars more the the British one, but the more I think about it the less sense it actually makes Confused

I liked the ending too. I've heard about the UK ending and I think the US version was better. I hope the US version is released on DVD...I'd really love to watch it again.
library addict

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret wrote:
I hope the US version is released on DVD...I'd really love to watch it again.
Life on Mars will be released on DVD on Sept. 29th.
Cora

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of interest, what was the ending of the US Life on Mars?

I found the original ending daring and strangely fitting.
library addict

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cora wrote:

It ended up that the whole thing was a dream. Sam Tyler and co were all astronauts actually going to Mars in the year 2035 (I think that was the year).

Another part of the twist was that Gene was really Sam's father and Annie was the one in charge of the mission (so they all worked for her Laughing )

I liked each series for different reasons. I loved Gene much, much more in the British version. As I said earlier in the thread the US Gene was much too politically correct. And IMO Harvey Keitel was too old for the part. I like both Sam’s and both Annie’s (though I wish in the US version that they hadn’t had Sam and Annie become romantically involved as I really liked Maya – his 2008 girlfriend in the US version). I think Michael Imperoli as Ray in the US version stole many an episode and I wish we’d gotten to see his wife more. But I also liked Ray in the British version, he’s a bit more of a befuddled guy in that version as opposed to the smart-aleck he is in the US version. Chris is the most forgettable character in both versions of the series.
Margaret

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
[quote="library addict"]
Cora wrote:

It ended up that the whole thing was a dream. Sam Tyler and co were all astronauts actually going to Mars in the year 2035 (I think that was the year).

Another part of the twist was that Gene was really Sam's father and Annie was the one in charge of the mission (so they all worked for her Laughing )

SPOILERS...Rather than just a dream I thought there was a screw up in the memories implanted for Sam's extended sleep on the misson to mars? And Gene being his father was strange. Sam's connection and longing for Maya was so convincing I never really warmed to Annie...perhaps over a couple of seasons I would have.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: