AAR
Click here for full forums index
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 
Great endings to TV series
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
CD



Joined: 15 Sep 2007
Posts: 665
Location: London, UK

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Great endings to TV series Reply with quote

I've just finished rewatching the original British series of Queer as Folk and was just amazed at how great the ending to the first series was (although it was good, I don't consider the second season to be really part of it). It was an ending that made you laugh and cry, and hug yourself at the same time. And then immediately want to rewatch the whole thing all over again.

I'm still on a high from that but even after ten years, I honestly can't think of any other series which had such a SATISFYING ending - just absolute perfection: where everything you had gone through as a viewer just paid off tenfold. Most really good series that I can think of just kind of lose steam and peter out.

Any thoughts?
_________________
"Socialism to help sick people - bad.
Socialism to help billionaires - good."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LeeB.



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 1277
Location: Seattle, WA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen Queer as Folk but I'm glad it ended well.

The series that end well usually just do an episode like it's nothing special. I think people appreciate that -- knowing that the characters are just going about their business as usual though we aren't seeing them anymore.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LACI



Joined: 22 Sep 2008
Posts: 53
Location: Johnstown, PA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Christmas Special of the British Office is perfect in my opinion. Season 2 ends really sadly, and you think, well that's it I guess. Then they did a special and every good thing you would want to happen, happens. Unfortunately the American Office has already gone on too long for this good of a payoff. I just hope it ends while the viewer still cares about the characters.

The series finale of Gilmore Girls tried to wrap everything up nicely, but couldn't rise above a terrible last season for me.

Freaks and Geeks got canceled and the Season Finale became the Series Finale, it's really sad and all the characters are facing changes in their lives, and Lindsey goes off to follow the dead - but it's a great finish to a great show.

I'm watching West Wing reruns on Bravo these days (I've seen the whole series more than once thanks to friends with the box set) the finale seems as if it could go either way, more seasons with a new administration or end like it did at the end of Bartlet's 2nd term. They're probably better off stopping with 7 seasons, but I would have watched more episodes for sure.

Has anyone heard anything about the Finale of Pushing Daisies?
I missed Season 2 - but from what I'm reading online ABC pulled it and they're reworking the last filmed episode for viewer closure, but it might not be seen til the DVD comes out. This is one show that needs a happy ending!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Cora



Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 1129
Location: Bremen, Germany

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the series finale of Six Feet Under was pretty much perfect. We find out what became of everyone.

For a really old one, I liked the last episode of Remington Steele though I know a lot of people don't like the final season. But Remington and Laura got together, he found out about his parentage and inherited a really big mansion, too. All loose ends tied up neatly.

I was initially on the fence about the Twin Peaks finale, but in retrospect I like it precisely because it was a shocker.

The British Life on Mars had an ending that was sad and happy at the same time and manages to pull it off.

The British series Jekyll had another good one. The main characters are safe, but there is still a nasty little twist at the end.

For the Germans among us, Raumpatrouille Orion has a great final episode, ending with a kiss - squee! I was also quite fond of the last of the original Schimanski episodes, back when they still ran under the Tatort banner. Schimanski goes hang-gliding from the top of a building as a sort of f-you gesture - absolutely perfect for the character. Not so fond of the follow-up movies - they should have stopped there.

Though most series finales suck, either because the series ran out of steam long ago and no one cares anymore or because it ends too soon and viewers are left without closure.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Niftybergin



Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 1086

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit of a Star Trek fan, and I have to admit that my favorite of the various shows was Voyager. Not sure why. I just liked it. I remember that when that show wrapped up (2000? 2001? 2002?) I taped it. I loved that show and liked how they solved everything.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Susan/DC



Joined: 26 Mar 2007
Posts: 1661

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Final Episodes Reply with quote

LACI wrote:

Has anyone heard anything about the Finale of Pushing Daisies?
I missed Season 2 - but from what I'm reading online ABC pulled it and they're reworking the last filmed episode for viewer closure, but it might not be seen til the DVD comes out. This is one show that needs a happy ending!!!


Unfortunately I have no information about "Pushing Daisies", which was the only show I watched consistently. Loved, loved, loved everything about it, from the actors to the costume and set design to the weird plotlines. If you find out anything, please let me know.

As for good final episodes, the old Ellen DeGeneres sitcom had a great final episode. It was supposedly a documentary on her life, and it had some wonderfully funny and clever parts -- much better than the regular series itself and much better than the final episodes of some series that I'd actually preferred (Seinfeld, anyone).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Trish B



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 1258
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niftybergin wrote:
I'm a bit of a Star Trek fan, and I have to admit that my favorite of the various shows was Voyager. Not sure why. I just liked it. I remember that when that show wrapped up (2000? 2001? 2002?) I taped it. I loved that show and liked how they solved everything.


I'm not a huge Star Trek fan, but I did enjoy The Next Generation and adored Patrick Stewart's Jean Luc Picard. The finale of that series, The Best of Both Worlds was really good IMO.
_________________
Later that night, still 1789!
~"Start the Revolution Without Me!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LinnieGayl



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 824

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trish B wrote:
I'm not a huge Star Trek fan, but I did enjoy The Next Generation and adored Patrick Stewart's Jean Luc Picard. The finale of that series, The Best of Both Worlds was really good IMO.


I really loved The Next Generation. I'm with you, Trish, the finale of that show was just wonderful. I try to catch it whenever it's on tv. I really should just try to buy it on DVD.
_________________
LinnieGayl
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Linda in sw va



Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 4708

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Great endings to TV series Reply with quote

CD wrote:
I've just finished rewatching the original British series of Queer as Folk and was just amazed at how great the ending to the first series was (although it was good, I don't consider the second season to be really part of it). It was an ending that made you laugh and cry, and hug yourself at the same time. And then immediately want to rewatch the whole thing all over again.

I'm still on a high from that but even after ten years, I honestly can't think of any other series which had such a SATISFYING ending - just absolute perfection: where everything you had gone through as a viewer just paid off tenfold. Most really good series that I can think of just kind of lose steam and peter out.

Any thoughts?


I have only seen the US version, this makes me want to watch it in it's original form.

Linda
_________________
"The Bookshop has a thousand books, all colors, hues and tinges, and every cover is a door that turns on magic hinges." ~ Nancy Byrd Turner
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CD



Joined: 15 Sep 2007
Posts: 665
Location: London, UK

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LACI wrote:
The Christmas Special of the British Office is perfect in my opinion. Season 2 ends really sadly, and you think, well that's it I guess. Then they did a special and every good thing you would want to happen, happens.


Oh YES!! How could I have forgotten... That was perfect and a surprisingly feel good ending. I thought Ricky Gervais was planning on ruining Xmas Wink...


Quote:
Though most series finales suck, either because the series ran out of steam long ago and no one cares anymore or because it ends too soon and viewers are left without closure.


Completely agree there, Cora. It's kind of rare to find a series that's just right. I'm currently DVD following Dexter and Mad Men and so they've had good season finales. Crossing my fingers for good series finale.

Yet another reason to check out Six Feet Under and Remington Steele - I know I know, I'm behind the game, here. Nice to know ahead of time that they end well. I haven't seen the second season of Life on Mars (is it being remade by the Americans?) but loved the first. I can imagine that any resolution would be bittersweet.

I've never watched Star Trek but I've heard that Babylon 5 was a really good sci-fi series in that it had an actual story arc which it managed to play to the end - guy friends who would have scoffed at my romance reading had been known to weep tears at the series finale...


Quote:
I have only seen the US version, this makes me want to watch it in it's original form.


Well, it's pretty different but heartily recommend it. The storyline is basically the same as the first few episodes of the American version but the British version is only 6 episodes ie 4 hrs long so tells a pretty compressed story with a definite ending. It's also quite a bit darker and grittier. Nathan (the British Justin) is actually only 15 years old and definitely acts it, if that gives you an idea. Excellent and highly quotable script penned by Russell T Davies - sharp, in your face, heartbreaking, and extremely funny. He later went on to revamp Doctor Who - slightly different audience there, methinks...

If you're a romantic (which I'm guessing you are Wink), I think you'd really REALLY like it. Especially if you like a friends to lovers storyline. The feeling you get at the last scene is the feeling you get after reading the last scene of a perfect romance novel. I swear, it's the first and only time in my life that I've actually laughed and cried at the same time.
_________________
"Socialism to help sick people - bad.
Socialism to help billionaires - good."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cora



Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 1129
Location: Bremen, Germany

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CD wrote:

Yet another reason to check out Six Feet Under and Remington Steele - I know I know, I'm behind the game, here. Nice to know ahead of time that they end well. I haven't seen the second season of Life on Mars (is it being remade by the Americans?) but loved the first. I can imagine that any resolution would be bittersweet.


Remington Steele is a show I'd recommend to every romance fan, because the chemistry between the leads is fantastic (even though the actors supposedly didn't like each other in real life). One of the real gems of the 1980s

Six Feet Under doesn't necessarily end happily, but you learn what becomes of all the characters and most of them lead long and fulfilled lives.

Life on Mars is indeed being remade in the US. The second season of the original British version is well worth watching, as is the spin-off Ashes to Ashes, which is set eight years after the original, puts a new spin on the characters and turns DCI Gene Hunt into an unlikely romantic hero.

Quote:

I've never watched Star Trek but I've heard that Babylon 5 was a really good sci-fi series in that it had an actual story arc which it managed to play to the end - guy friends who would have scoffed at my romance reading had been known to weep tears at the series finale...


I haven't seen Babylon 5 in ages, but it was stunning for its time. The final season suffered somewhat, because the production team believed the show would be canceled after the fourth season and hurried to tie up all loose ends. Then they got the fifth season anyway and had run out of plot. That said, the final episode is indeed great.

Quote:

Quote:
I have only seen the US version, this makes me want to watch it in it's original form.


Well, it's pretty different but heartily recommend it. The storyline is basically the same as the first few episodes of the American version but the British version is only 6 episodes ie 4 hrs long so tells a pretty compressed story with a definite ending. It's also quite a bit darker and grittier. Nathan (the British Justin) is actually only 15 years old and definitely acts it, if that gives you an idea. Excellent and highly quotable script penned by Russell T Davies - sharp, in your face, heartbreaking, and extremely funny. He later went on to revamp Doctor Who - slightly different audience there, methinks...

If you're a romantic (which I'm guessing you are Wink), I think you'd really REALLY like it. Especially if you like a friends to lovers storyline. The feeling you get at the last scene is the feeling you get after reading the last scene of a perfect romance novel. I swear, it's the first and only time in my life that I've actually laughed and cried at the same time.


I was at university in Britain when Queer as Folk originally aired. I originally watched it because it showed handsome men doing interesting things to each other and suddenly found myself involved in the characters. Unfortunately I never saw the end back in the day.

I have recently gone off Davies, because the Doctor Who franchise went stale after the third season and I positively hate what he did in the second season of the spinoff Torchwood.

However, back in the day when his stuff was still good, he wrote a beautiful little show called Bob and Rose. It's about a man who is absolutely convinced he is gay - until the day he suddenly falls for a woman. It's a lovely romance, with a HEA that would make any romance novel proud. It's not easy to find, but I'd absolutely recommend it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Yulie



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 1149
Location: Elsewhere

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cora wrote:
Life on Mars is indeed being remade in the US. The second season of the original British version is well worth watching, as is the spin-off Ashes to Ashes, which is set eight years after the original, puts a new spin on the characters and turns DCI Gene Hunt into an unlikely romantic hero.

Life on Mars was great, and I agree with you, Cora - the ending worked really well, and considering how tricky it was to get it right, that's quite impressive. The American version, which I have not seen, has just been cancelled. I'm not that crazy about Ashes to Ashes, I think they should have left the story and the characters alone since it was tied up so well in LoM. John Simm wisely declined to participate, and Keeley Hawes is nowhere near as good.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
library addict



Joined: 06 Dec 2008
Posts: 1473

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't care for the ending of the British version of Life on Mars. I thought it was rather a copout when he basically committed suicide to get back to the past.

The American version is quite different. It will be interesting to see how they wrap it up.

I liked Gene much more in the British version. In the US version he's too politically correct underneath it all. I saw some previews for Ashes to Ashes, but Iím not sure if I will watch it or not. Iím not really a fan of Keeley Hawes and not at all sure I want to see Gene Hunt changed.

I agree the last, extremely shortened season of Remington Steele was a nice wrap up to that series.

Even though some people hated it, I quite liked the ending of St. Elsewhere. I thought it was a creative way to end the series and it still makes me think of it and smile whenever I see a snowglobe.

But my favorite series end has to be Newhart when he woke up in bed with Suzanne Pleshette Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Maggie AAR
Site Admin


Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 2471

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trish B wrote:
Niftybergin wrote:
I'm a bit of a Star Trek fan, and I have to admit that my favorite of the various shows was Voyager. Not sure why. I just liked it. I remember that when that show wrapped up (2000? 2001? 2002?) I taped it. I loved that show and liked how they solved everything.


I'm not a huge Star Trek fan, but I did enjoy The Next Generation and adored Patrick Stewart's Jean Luc Picard. The finale of that series, The Best of Both Worlds was really good IMO.


I thought (and double checked on startrek.com) that the series finale was entitled "All Good Things . . ." Yikes Confused Did I miss an epi?

maggie b.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
CD



Joined: 15 Sep 2007
Posts: 665
Location: London, UK

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cora wrote:
I was at university in Britain when Queer as Folk originally aired. I originally watched it because it showed handsome men doing interesting things to each other and suddenly found myself involved in the characters. Unfortunately I never saw the end back in the day.

I have recently gone off Davies, because the Doctor Who franchise went stale after the third season and I positively hate what he did in the second season of the spinoff Torchwood.

However, back in the day when his stuff was still good, he wrote a beautiful little show called Bob and Rose. It's about a man who is absolutely convinced he is gay - until the day he suddenly falls for a woman. It's a lovely romance, with a HEA that would make any romance novel proud. It's not easy to find, but I'd absolutely recommend it.


I was also at uni then but only heard about the controversy on the news (didn't have a telly then) - I think it aired around the same time as the whole debate on equalising the age of consent of gays from 18 to 16 so I remember the whole furor over 15 year old Nathan's seduction in the first episode. It's strange now to watch it and think about how much fuss it caused at the time, especially since that scene and a very brief Stuart orgy scene are about the only explicit sex scenes in the entire series - something which you don't really realise when watching it. Apparently, opening the series with a literal, explicit and controversial bang was a deliberate strategy on the part of the producers to make the series seemed more explicit than it actually was.

I'd also recommend BOB AND ROSE - I don't anyone apart from someone like Davies could have written that script with enough nuance without it being insulting to both gays and straights. My impression of it is that Bob is indeed gay but just happens to fall in love with a woman. In an interview, Davies said he was trying to say that love is more important than sexual orientation, and after QaF and his own orientation, no one could accuse him of having an agenda to straighten out gays Wink ... Jonathan Creek was surprisingly good in the role.

Davies also wrote THE SECOND COMING with Christopher Eccleston and CASANOVA with David Tennant prior to the Doctor Who franchise which makes me chuckle. Both mini-series are very good in different ways - I loved CASANOVA especially - Tennant really does the nerdish sex appeal very well. I haven't watched any of the Doctor Who or Torchwood as have been out of the country for some time and the DVDs are expensive - shame that they jumped the shark. I take it that seasons 1 to 3 of the former are good, though?

Quote:
I liked Gene much more in the British version. In the US version he's too politically correct underneath it all. I saw some previews for Ashes to Ashes, but Iím not sure if I will watch it or not. Iím not really a fan of Keeley Hawes and not at all sure I want to see Gene Hunt changed.


I'm not usually a fan of American remakes of British series but I thought LIFE ON MARS was one that would been an exception since the premise is founded on a love of American 70s cop dramas. It's a pity that they made Gene politically correct - that takes the whole fun out of it. Don't think I want to see ASHES TO ASHES from the description. I will watch anything with John Simms though - loved him since THE LAKES again back in the 90s.

Sorry - have drifted somewhat off the initial topic. Will definitely pick REMINGTON STEELE. I haven't heard of ST ELSEWHERE or NEWHART - are they pretty recent?
_________________
"Socialism to help sick people - bad.
Socialism to help billionaires - good."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group