AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lost in Austen
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schola

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roseisa wrote:
Schola
Quote:
but it's easier for me to believe in a portal to Austen-land in a modern London bathroom than in a Regency gentleman "growing" out of very deeply ingrained values

I guess than that you didn't believe Darcy when he said that loved Amanda and would follow her to hell. I guess I'm naive in believing that the love Darcy felt and had for Amanda was more of value to him than convention. Cool

Seriously, yeah, I didn't believe it at all. I think the writers were forcing Darcy's character for an HEA.

ETA: Anyway, it's good you and other people liked it. I'm just explaining why it doesn't work for me at all.
roseisa

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I'm sorry it didn't work for you, I've watched it four times now and love Amanda's growth as the heroine and yes I even liked Wickham. It was a good effort to open P&P to an unknown audience, if such a thing exists... Cool
Schola

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, one of the people who watched Lost in Austen with me had never read any of Austen's novels or watched any of the adaptations. When we asked him what he knew of Pride and Prejudice, he said, "I know it's a love story with a happy ending."
roseisa

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Life never ceases to amaze me........ Cool
Schola

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand, he's a walking encyclopedia when it comes to comic books, so it all balances out in the end. ;)

What's funny is that he laughed the hardest during the wet shirt scene, even though he had no idea what it was about.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: