AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lost in Austen
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schola

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Lost in Austen Reply with quote

+IHS+

Has anyone seen this? It's a British miniseries about a woman whose favourite novel in the world is Pride and Prejudice and who gets to step into Jane Austen's world for a little while. The twist is that Elizabeth Bennett steps into our own world at the same time and they end up trading places right after "Netherfield Park is let"--if you take my meaning! ;)

Naturally, even though our heroine knows how everything is supposed to turn out, her involvement only makes a mess of things. :lol:

I've seen the whole thing, but I'm not going to post spoilers yet--not even what I think of the ending.
kspears

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it, and thought it was pretty funny. One of my favorite parts was with Caroline Bingley, very amusing. I wish she would have changed her hair style to blend in with the time period, but oh, well. I also thought the dive into the pond was pretty funny. And the Colin Firth references. As I write this I keep thinking of other things in it, so I must have liked it. It was a clever idea.
Schola

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it was clever and really well written . . . well, except for the last episode, which I found really unsatisfying. Sad

Also, there's something a little off about Darcy's proving his love for Amanda by following her through the portal into modern-day London. It's supposed to be either equivalent to how he proves his love for Elizabeth in the original novel or even more amazing a deed . . . but it really fell flat for me.
bijoux

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schola wrote:
I agree that it was clever and really well written . . . well, except for the last episode, which I found really unsatisfying. Sad

What did you find disappointing, that Darcy didn't end up with Elizabeth or how he and Amanda came together at the end?

kspears, I loved Caroline's hats. And her speech to Amanda - "the music of Sappho will always be the only to touch my heart" or something like that. I just giggled like a loon throughout the scene. I also really liked Bingley in this.
Kerstin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bijoux wrote:
Schola wrote:

What did you find disappointing, that Darcy didn't end up with Elizabeth or how he and Amanda came together at the end?

kspears, I loved Caroline's hats. And her speech to Amanda - "the music of Sappho will always be the only to touch my heart" or something like that. I just giggled like a loon throughout the scene. I also really liked Bingley in this.

Yes, totally funny and I also laughed myself silly at the scene when Amanda tried to deter an enamored Bingley (who I found cuter than Darcy BTW) with telling him that she's attracted to women. The look on his face is priceless!!! I was disappointed that Amanda didn't end up with Wickham. Wickham was awesome, an appealing blend between Rhett Butler and Han Solo, the quintessential sexy scoundrel with the heart of gold who can appreciate a woman who is not quite a lady.

Kerstin
Lynda X

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like so much fun. Any idea if it will be broadcast again and when?
Retrograde

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved it, despite the fact that Pride & Prejudice (and Jane Austen in general) has never appealed to me. For anyone that hasn't seen it, it's available on DVD, and at a good price too.
LACI

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that this will be on Ovation tomorrow (Sunday) night. I think it starts at 8 - seems like it's in two parts, so the whole thing hopefully.
I've never seen it. Read the spoilers though - which should save me some grief about that ending. I'm keeping my expectations low, but I'm excited.
graceC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched it on Ovation TV when it was already half aired so I didn't watch the first half of the series.

I think it was funny and clever, and I really enjoyed it. The way the heroine's best intention to hurry up the plot along but ended up mucking things up instead reminded me of Emma & her disastrous match-making efforts.

Wickham is portrayed as a misunderstood hero in the movie, like the typical fake rake with a conscience that we find in most romance novels. He's definitely more charming here than in the original book.

I laughed when I saw Amanda brushed her teeth vigorously with real tooth brush & tooth paste as soon as she returned to her modern time, thinking that's exactly what I'd do if I were in her shoes!

I'm still waiting for my DVD to arrive from netflix.
Schola

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bijoux wrote:
Schola wrote:

I thought the very fact that Darcy and Amanda ended up together was disappointing. Of course, given what had already happened, I couldn't see how he could end up with Elizabeth. :roll:

I agree with Kerstin that Wickham would have been a more interesting hero for Amanda--and a twist more in keeping with the fun spirit of the mini-series.
roseisa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son rented the DVD for me from Netflix - I liked that Amanda would mumble outloud, in her head and was just plain funny. IMHO - Mrs. Bennet was thoughtless a witch, she tied with Caroline Bingley. The ending actually made sense - Elizabeth wanted to live in our world and Amanda in hers! Can't wait to get the DVD Cool
Schola

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amanda could have lived just as happily in Lizzie's world married to Wickham! He would have been more forgiving of her lost virginity than Darcy was. I just couldn't buy the ending.
roseisa

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schola
Quote:
Amanda could have lived just as happily in Lizzie's world married to Wickham! He would have been more forgiving of her lost virginity than Darcy was. I just couldn't buy the ending.

Yes, that could have been the case if that's how the writers wanted the story to go, but they didn't. They made Darcy grow up as man, admit the love he felt for Amanda was more important than her virginity; to hope that when she read his note she would not return to her world but to him. As interesting as Wickham was, he wasn't attracted to Amanda and she wasn't to him, they became friends, good friends I think Cool
Schola

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair point, but it's easier for me to believe in a portal to Austen-land in a modern London bathroom than in a Regency gentleman "growing" out of very deeply ingrained values.
roseisa

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schola
Quote:
but it's easier for me to believe in a portal to Austen-land in a modern London bathroom than in a Regency gentleman "growing" out of very deeply ingrained values

I guess than that you didn't believe Darcy when he said that loved Amanda and would follow her to hell. I guess I'm naive in believing that the love Darcy felt and had for Amanda was more of value to him than convention. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: