AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone watching OLIVER TWIST on PBS?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trish B

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Anyone watching OLIVER TWIST on PBS? Reply with quote

2008 was the year of Jane Austen on MASTERPIECE, this year it's Charles Dickens. Is anyone else watching this latest adaptation of OLIVER TWIST? I hadn't planned on watching it as it is not a story I thought I'd enjoy, but there was nothing else on at the time, so I gave it a try. I haven't read the book, but so far I think it's pretty good. The little boy who plays Oliver is just adorable and makes you root for him. Great cast.
Karen Templeton

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started it, excellent production, but I've seen so many productions already I can't seem to stay focused.

And yet, oddly, I can watch various adaptations of Austen novels and never get bored. Weird.

Karen T.
http://www.karentempleton.com
Shar0n

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never read the novel, and have only caught glimpses of the musical version on TV from time to time. So far, I like this production, but it seems to me that Oliver is somewhat passive in his own story. I mean, except for one initiative in an early scene, Oliver just watched things happen around him and reacted to what happened to him. I cannot help but thinking of another orphan, Annie, who seems to have a more active role in her own story. I have wondered after watching part 1 whether Annie was created as the mirror opposite of Oliver?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: