AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Bachelor...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: The Bachelor... Reply with quote

Just curious and testing the waters here. Is anyone following The Bachelor series this season? I haven't watched it from the beginning, but then that's my pattern with this show. Usually, I'll watch the very first episode, then won't watch it again until it comes down to the last three or four remaining people. Then I try to watch looks, eyes, nuances--anything that may tell me who's he'll pick--kind of like making a game out of it (which it is to begin with). In this case, I didn't even watch the first show, but tuned in last week for the first time.

So, are there any die-hards out there with Jason this year? Or anyone like me who's just curious when it comes down to those few left behind? I haven't watched a complete series since forever, I think. I never watch The Bachelorette shows, so I didn't know about this particular bachelor prior to its airing.

Last edited by Tee on Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:58 am; edited 2 times in total
xina

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't watched it Tee, but I want to comment on the shows appeal. I just can't understand why they think they are in love with him when they don't even know him. Okay...I've seen previews of the girls crying and kissing him and all that. Is there an incentive to his picking them. Does the winner get paid...well, outside of winning the bachelor...do they get some $$ for it? It's just weird to me. LIke an arranged marriage.
Tee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
I just can't understand why they think they are in love with him when they don't even know him.

It's a stretch, xina; that's for sure. I think I watched the first three series when it first began, then totally left it. Only recently, have I been catching only the latter part of it, just trying to guess whom he picks by observing personal actions. I've guessed right fairly often, but I really had no interest one way or another if someone else would have been chosen.

You know, some of the women go to pieces right at the moment, but usually go on to play another day. Life is like that. Either you go on or you give up and who wants the latter choice?

I cannot conceive of being one of three or four girls whom he's dating; I think that would be hard to do. Worse would be if he's having intimate relations with any or all of them. Sometimes it's hard to figure out. Well, I'm not hooked on too many shows, but I rather like this one (at the end of it, though). Maybe it's to see how everyone handled themselves. I don't know. The only other show I enjoy would be American Idol. But in that one too I wait until they're down to about 15 finalists or so.

Other than those, I don't have any favorite programs I need to tune into on a consistent basis. I love the Hallmark channel when they're having new movies on or the Home and Garden channel. Oops, forgot about The Dog Whisperer and It's Either Me or the Dog. Love those!
xina

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the intimate relationships would be iffy. I've only seen previews, because I refuse to watch it Laughing but it does show him kissing and stuff.... hmmm, and they are all different. I did watch one dating show a few years ago. It was the on where the guy was a millionaire...I think. Anyway, he picked the girl he wanted in the end and it came out weeks later that they really didn't like one another at all. It was all a farce and they parted that very day.
As for TV favorites...I have too many! My daughter got me hooked on those crazy housewives from Orange County and New York. Those women are nuts...but I can't help tuning in!
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: The Bachelor Reply with quote

xina wrote:
I haven't watched it Tee, but I want to comment on the shows appeal. I just can't understand why they think they are in love with him when they don't even know him. Okay...I've seen previews of the girls crying and kissing him and all that. Is there an incentive to his picking them. Does the winner get paid...well, outside of winning the bachelor...do they get some $$ for it? It's just weird to me. LIke an arranged marriage.

The daughter of a friend of mine won "The Bachelor" a few years ago, and I can tell you that they don't get paid. On one of their one-on-one dates they showed her picking out a dress at a boutique, and she did get to keep the dress (although she didn't get to keep the diamond jewelry he brought for her to wear with it). She also got free trips to the resorts, etc they visited during the course of the show, but other than that she got no monetary return.

And I have to say it is beyond weird to watch a show like that and know one of the contestants.
xina

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: The Bachelor Reply with quote

And I have to say it is beyond weird to watch a show like that and know one of the contestants.[/quote]

Yes...Smile I'm sure it takes on a whole other reason to watch the show. I would watch if that were the case...if one of my daughter's friends were on. Other than that, I just find the whole idea of the show to be rather demeaning for those young women. I think I would rather watch paint dry....heh...but that's just me.
Tee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The Bachelor Reply with quote

xina wrote:
I think I would rather watch paint dry....heh...but that's just me.

I think you're trying to tell me I'm wasting my time watching this program, xina; Laughing and I believe you're absolutely correct. But only partly being a waste--remember, I only catch about the last three shows out of so many.

By the way, I watched Idol last night and was impressed with about three of them, especially the last one (Peter Dorkey, or something like that?).
xina

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Bachelor Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
xina wrote:
I think I would rather watch paint dry....heh...but that's just me.

I think you're trying to tell me I'm wasting my time watching this program, xina; Laughing and I believe you're absolutely correct. But only partly being a waste--remember, I only catch about the last three shows out of so many.

By the way, I watched Idol last night and was impressed with about three of them, especially the last one (Peter Dorkey, or something like that?).

Very Happy No, I'm not saying that Tee! Hey, I watched The Housewives of Orange County last night. I should talk.... Rolling Eyes
As for Idol...I watched with half an eye while on Skype with my daughter. But, I did like the guy with the glasses...the guy that talked about his wife. She had died just recently. He was very good. I also like the guy who sang the Michael Jackson song...but the song wasn't good for him. I do like the tone of his voice though. And why do these people attempt a Whitney Houston song? It never works. There is only one Whitney. Even she can't sing like herself anymore.....
Tee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the guy I'm talking about--the one with the glasses and whose wife died recently. He really has a great voice.

I use Skype too, xina. My oldest daughter lives in London right now and it's a good way of keeping in touch. In fact, I just got off the line speaking with her now.
xina

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
That's the guy I'm talking about--the one with the glasses and whose wife died recently. He really has a great voice.

I use Skype too, xina. My oldest daughter lives in London right now and it's a good way of keeping in touch. In fact, I just got off the line speaking with her now.

Skype...it makes the world smaller, doesn't it Tee? My daughter is in Australia now so when I talk with her, she is just getting up in the morning. We had a few problems with it in the beginning, but I think we've ironed them out. I love it. It's a fabulous way to reach out and touch somebody!

Oh, and to add about that singer on AI....I think he has a good chance of winning. I also liked one of the girls in the beginning with the short blonde hair (with pink highlights...). I really liked her style and matter of fact way she sang. The first girl with the spandex....I predict she will be off tonight.
Tee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skype really is a good deal, xina. The only thing I don't have, and neither does she, is a camera for the computer. One of my friends does have one, so I can see her when we Skype, but she can't see me. One of these days...

Yep, the girl with the pink highlights was one of my son's and my favorites, too.

I know we've gone a bit off topic here (a bit?); but since I began this thread, I give permission to go anywhere we please. Laughing
cheri

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok girls I'll post. I missed Monday night's show but got filled in at work. I've only caught three or four episodes myself. I don't believe you can have feelings for someone in thatshort a time with so many people to pick from. it does seem insecere. The only reason it's a big deal where I'm at is because Molly M, one of the final 2 is from GR. ANd jason came here for the hometown date Rolling Eyes . I am liking AI this season and am rooting for the same guy or the organ player from Kalamazoo that the 3 judges gave a standing ovation for his georgia song during Hollywood week. he hasn't sung yet. tonight should be easy. our guy and the blond woman who sang eretha franklin soul song and the Anoop or the oil driller will be the third. just my picks. Smile cheri
Tee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true, cheri, I almost forgot that Molly was from Grand Rapids MI. I think she lives in Wisconsin now for work. She appears to be less warm than Melissa, but Melissa seems to have personal relationship issues herself. Oh, well, whoever he chooses. It's just kind of fun and addicting to watch the craziness.

We'll see who gets the top three positions tonight on Idol. I'll look for the guy from Kalamazoo. My youngest daughter went to Western Michigan in Kalamazoo, but now lives in Paw Paw.
xina

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
Skype really is a good deal, xina. The only thing I don't have, and neither does she, is a camera for the computer. One of my friends does have one, so I can see her when we Skype, but she can't see me. One of these days...

Yep, the girl with the pink highlights was one of my son's and my favorites, too.

I know we've gone a bit off topic here (a bit?); but since I began this thread, I give permission to go anywhere we please. Laughing

OT again...sorry all! Tee, My camera is right in my laptop. Well, I just got a new laptop...mine went down and never came back, but this new one has a camera in it too. I think I look really bad in the camera, but my daughter looks very cute...as usual. We had to get a camera for her computer. My husband bought a really cheap one, but I bought her a better one before she left. When a person is that far away, it pays to have a better camera. They are not the most flattering things in the world and I always feel like I have to look normal. Hee...comb my hair and all that. Rolling Eyes
xina

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quote="cheri"]. I am liking AI this season and am rooting for the same guy or the organ player from Kalamazoo that the 3 judges gave a standing ovation for his georgia song during Hollywood week. he hasn't sung yet. tonight should be easy. our guy and the blond woman who sang eretha franklin soul song and the Anoop or the oil driller will be the third. just my picks. Smile cheri[/quote]

The organ player who forgot his lyrics and walked off? Is that the one you are thinking of cheri? I liked him last night too, but not the song he chose. Why do these singers always pick such classic songs? I always associate the songs with the original singer and more often than not they don't stand up to that singer. Yes, the oil driller guy was good too. Hee....we can't remember their names at this point, but give us a couple weeks.
I hope the spandex woman is gone tonight. Do they vote them off tonight??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: