AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moning's Dark Highlander: Opinions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schola

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Moning's Dark Highlander: Opinions? Reply with quote

+IHS+

The AAR review is pretty hard on The Dark Highlander, giving it a D---and from the plot and what I know of Karen Marie Moning, I'm willing to bet that the reviewer got it right. :lol:

Still, we all have different tastes and different levels of what we're willing to tolerate in our recreational reading. Is there anyone who really liked this book and would recommend it?
Danielle B

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read this book years ago when I was just a newbie to romance and I don't remember much about it but I don't remember it being horrible. My main issue with it was that it was the middle of the series and didn't do a very good job of standing alone. I enjoyed it enough to pick up the first book in the series though but it's still sitting in my TBR mountain...
Schola

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Danielle. Smile I've already read its "twin" book, Kiss of the Highlander, so I should be okay with the story.

Since most AAR readers don't seem to be big Moning fans, I checked out the message boards at her own Web site. No surprise that The Dark Highlander was well received by her fans, though they all agree that it's smouldering and sinister rather than sweet.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bombed for me, didn't like the fake Scottish accent (the use of 'lassie at every opportunity') or the heroine. I kept it for a while though because I liked the cover. Smile My first and last KM Highlander book.

Linda

Last edited by Linda in sw va on Fri May 22, 2009 4:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Jane A

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schola wrote:
Thanks, Danielle. Smile I've already read its "twin" book, Kiss of the Highlander, so I should be okay with the story.

Since most AAR readers don't seem to be big Moning fans, I checked out the message boards at her own Web site. No surprise that The Dark Highlander was well received by her fans, though they all agree that it's smouldering and sinister rather than sweet.

I'm kind of a sucker for KMM's books, though I don't rush out to buy them. I did like Kiss of the Highlander better than The Dark Highlander, FWIW.
willaful

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find her books somewhat aggravating, but readable. They're "that sort of thing" books - ie., you'll like them if you like that sort of thing. Laughing
Schola

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

willaful wrote:
I find her books somewhat aggravating, but readable. They're "that sort of thing" books - ie., you'll like them if you like that sort of thing. Laughing

Oh, dear! Laughing I do like "that sort of thing"!

I guess that answers my question, aye? ;)

Jane A wrote:
I'm kind of a sucker for KMM's books, though I don't rush out to buy them. I did like Kiss of the Highlander better than The Dark Highlander, FWIW.

I think most people will like Kiss of the Highlander, because it's a genuinely lovely story, whether you like "that sort of thing" or not. :)

For me, the appeal of Drustan and Gwen's romance is the way two people who probably had no hope of finding love in their own ages found each other across time. It's just the perfect Time Travel Romance Very Happy (not counting Outlander, I should say, if only because Diana Gabaldon didn't intend it to be a Romance at the beginning).
Retrograde

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's kind of samey and predictable, and in my mind I lumped it in with Cian's and Adam's stories because they all follow a similar format. I think Kiss of the Highlander is really the best of the bunch. On the surface it's not much different from the others, but what sets it apart is a charm that I found sorely lacking in The Dark Highlander. That's not to say that it's not readable, but it's not all that satisfying either.
Schola

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I agree that charm is the greatest strength of Kiss of the Highlander. It probably won't be in Dark Highlander, given how deliberately dark Moning wanted to make it, but then again, I can't expect her to write the same book over and over, can I?

Quote:
It's kind of samey and predictable, and in my mind I lumped it in with Cian's and Adam's stories because they all follow a similar format.

Or has she already done it? Laughing
Neen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I am amazed that anyone does not completely adore Kiss of the Highlander. This book is one of my favorite romance novels...I could re-read it a million times (and probably have)....I also think The Highlander's Touch is fantastic. I agree that the Dark Highlander is not as great as some of the others, but it is certainly not a D-. I am shocked! Moning's new Fever series, although not technically true "romance," is fabulous. She has come a long way as a writer, which is evident in this series. I think her heroes are among the sexiest written by a romance author.
Diana

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I glommed them a few years ago and honestly couldn't at this point differentiate one from the other. I'd call them cheerful, cheezy fun in an over the top Kenyonesque kind of way. They're still selling very well according to Amazon's romance rankings. As is Kenyon. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: