AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Books that the ending sucked!!!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loveromancelhjb

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Books that the ending sucked!!!!! Reply with quote

What books have you read that the endings have shocked you, left you in tears, or made you furious, etc. and why?
loveromancelhjb

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thought...maybe a leading charater died or the H and H were seperated indefinatly....
Rebekah

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cheat. I tend to read the end before I start a book to make sure I get what I want. If not...then why would I spend my time reading it? I have to read enough depressing books in grad school.
xina

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't think of a romance novel that didn't have a HEA. I mean, that is the nature of the beast, isn't it? Outside of romance...When They Last Met by Anita Shreve. The last paragraph changes the entire story. I'm not sure if it was a brilliant move, or a poor joke...on the reader.
Magnolia88

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
I can't think of a romance novel that didn't have a HEA.

I can. A Knight in Shining Armor by Jude Deveraux. No HEA. But people still call it a romance novel. I wish someone had told me about the "no HEA" part before I wasted my time reading it. I thought it was "okay" until the awful ending and then I wanted my money back. Blech.
xina

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnolia88 wrote:
xina wrote:
I can't think of a romance novel that didn't have a HEA.

I can. A Knight in Shining Armor by Jude Deveraux. No HEA. But people still call it a romance novel. I wish someone had told me about the "no HEA" part before I wasted my time reading it. I thought it was "okay" until the awful ending and then I wanted my money back. Blech.

I've managed to stay away from that book and haven't read it, probably due to all the hating of the ending. It is considered a good book by some though, isn't it? Even the Shreve book I mentioned gets raves over on Amazon, but many agree with me, that the ending, well, sort of sucked.
iluvarake

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I read A Knight in Shining Armor. Why do I not remember the unhappy ending?
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iluvarake wrote:
I know I read A Knight in Shining Armor. Why do I not remember the unhappy ending?

******SPOILER*******
Highlight if you want to know

He stays in his time and she goes back to hers. She reads his history and discovers that he died alone and never married. Then she meets his reincarnated self on a plane.

It wasn't entirely unhappy - but unhappy enough
Natalie

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was an older Bertrice Small fantasy romance where the characters only united as reincarnation. Some people also felt cheated by it. But then Small wrote a lot of what I'd call historical bodice rippers - they're not typical romance, heroes and heroines can have multiple partners and there's always a forced sex scene Rolling Eyes
Ellie

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laura Lee Guhrke's Secret Desires of a Gentleman. I was really enjoying the book until the last page. The last page ruined the entire book for me.
Mark

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first Colleen Gleason Gardella Vampire Chronicles novel The Rest Falls Away.
Diana

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A book by "debut author" Cameron Cruise that was marketed as romantic suspense but wasn't. I later discovered that this "debut author" was Olga Bicos who has been around for a long time. The h/h walked away from each other in a pfffff ending. Can't remember the title, but I'll remember the author's name - both of them. :?

ETA: I looked it up. The Collector by Cameron Cruise. Stay away.

Last edited by Diana on Wed May 20, 2009 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lea AAR

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lover Unbound by J R Ward - Jane's final form was too much for me and therefore, I was very unhappy with that particular ending.

Lea

Audiobooks Bookshelf at Goodreads http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/4403718

Last edited by Lea AAR on Wed May 20, 2009 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
iluvarake

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lea AAR wrote:
Lover Unbound by J R Ward - Jane's final form was too much for me, and therefore, I was very unhappy with that particular ending.

Lea

I feel the same way. It's not that it couldn't have worked, but it needed to have some explanation, some basis in the world she'd built and it didn't at all. It was like, oh here she is and this way they can be together. It felt like an easy out, a cheat.
desiderata

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, it looks like I'm the third person who immediately thought of Lover Unbound and Jane as the ghost. It was ridiculous and actually turned me off the entire series. I haven't read a JR Ward since.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: