AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Superbowl

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danielle B

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Superbowl Reply with quote

Any thoughts on the upcoming Superbowl??

I'm really looking forward to it but I'm a little sad to know that the seasons over.

I'm not a huge fan of Pittsburgh and although I haven't seen to many of their games since they don't broadcast all the games here in Canada I'm rooting for the Cardinals all the way. I've always been known to go for the underdog and I think it would be awesome to see the Cardinals win the Superbowl.

I'm still sad my Giants aren't going again - they had such a good start then Buress went and shot himself and teams season in the foot (literally and figuratively). I know Buress can't be blamed for all the problems in those last few games he's not totally blameless.

Anyone else looking forward to it?

What kind of recipes to you normally put together for superbowl sunday? I found a new reciped for a chip dip you make in a crockpot that sounds interesting that I might try this year.

Danielle
Kass

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It always amazes me that sports mean so much to people that they'll actually go out of their way to make special foods for certain games. I guess this is just something you don't get unless you're already into it.

I hope you enjoy it, I just will be doing nothing myself.

My blog: http://www.thoughts.com/allergywoman/blog
http://www.shelfari.com/o1517440994
Nana

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go, Steelers, here we go!

Because of the time change where I live, I will be at work and following on ESPN Gamecast whenever I can get away with it. If the results are good, I'll watch at home that night and probably get some good old Pizza Hut - the only American food in my district - to put me in a footballing mood. If the results are bad, I'll watch Dogs 101 on Animal Planet and pretend there's no such thing as football.
jebe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Superbowl Reply with quote

Danielle B wrote:
I'm still sad my Giants aren't going again -

I'm observing a moment of silence for Big Blue's demise w/you, Danielle B. I'm just hoping for a good game. No matter who makes the Superbowl nowadays, it just seems like the hype far out shines the actual game. Enough w/the hoopla, let's just play some damn football, ya know?
KarenS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super Bowl XLIII is going to be played in Tampa--my part of the world. There's a lot of hoopla about it so the area is excited about hosting it again even though there were hopes the Bucs would be playing. No such luck.

They're saying the activities surrounding the game will be scaled back this year due to the recession. Corporations aren't shelling out the bucks for the parties and parades as they have in the past.

Even so, the Tampa Bay area will still profit from the event even if it's downsized. Hopefully, the weather will cooperate that week and it will be glorious! February is a great time to visit Florida when the weather is behavin'.
Danielle B

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kass - I can see how it would seem bizarre to someone who isn't into sports. For me it's more just an excuse to eat junk food guilt free. In college when I used to watch hockey it was Pizza and Beer because really that was our hockey food we HAD to eat it. Now it's lots of Tostito's, dips, chilli and other finger munchies on football sunday.

Nana - I'm a big fan of the denial method of coping myself - After the Giants lost I decided I hated football and would never watch it again Smile Then of course I had to tune in to see the Eagles loose to the Cardinals and now I'm excited about the superbowl.

Jebe - It's nice to know I'm not alone in my mourning - I'm surrounded by Pittsburgh fans myself and after all my gloating all season about the Giants everyone else seems to be positively gleeful that they are out. Boo for them I say! I agree I'm normally disappointed in the Superbowl games - last year was awesome for me though I HATE the Patriots and everything that happened at the end of the fourth quarter totally made up for the slower moving beginning of the game.

Karen S. - I have to say I'm jealous I can only imagine how exciting it would be to have the superbowl happening in your city. Probably not so much for the people who don't like football and are just trying to get around. My Dad went to Arizona last year for the Superbowl and he said it took them hours just to get from their hotel to the golf courses, restaurants etc.
Ellen AAR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since the Titans lost, I'm not all that engaged in the game. I like the Steelers - I've always thought their organization was very classy. But I like Kurt Warner from the Cardinals so much. He is a fine man and a good athlete.
Danielle D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since my team and my husband's team are out.....I'm cheering for my numbers in the Super Bowl pool that I'm in.

I was just wondering can baseball season be too far behind.

Karen S -- do you plan on going to any of the Pre-Super Bowl events being held in Tampa?

So many books, so little time

http://www.myspace.com/danielle_de
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/DanniD?ref=profile
http://www.shelfari.com/dani807

Now a Lady of Leisure
morninggirl5

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a Steeler fan, but I've been a Kurt Warner fan for years.

In a supermarket, Kurtis the stock boy, was busily working when a new voice came over the loud speaker asking for a carry out at register 4. Kurtis was almost finished, and wanted to get some fresh air, and decided to answer the call. As he approached the check-out stand a distant smile caught his eye, the new check-out girl was beautiful. She was an older woman (maybe 26, and he was only 22) and he fell in love.

Later that day, after his shift was over, he waited by the punch clock to find out her name. She came into the break room, smiled softly at him, took her card and punched out, then left. He looked at her card, BRENDA. He walked out only to see her start walking up the road. Next day, he waited outside as she left the supermarket, and offered her a ride home. He looked harmless enough, and she accepted. When he dropped her off, he asked if maybe he could see her again, outside of work. She simply said it wasn't possible.

He pressed and she explained she had two children and she couldn't afford a baby-sitter, so he offered to pay for the baby-sitter. Reluctantly she accepted his offer for a date for the following Saturday. That Saturday night he arrived at her door only to have her tell him that she was unable to go with him. The baby-sitter had called and canceled. To which Kurtis simply said, "Well, let's take the kids with us."

She tried to explain that taking the children was not an option, but again not taking no for an answer, he pressed. Finally Brenda, brought him inside to meet her children. She had an older daughter who was just as cute as a bug, Kurtis thought, then Brenda brought out her son, in a wheelchair. He was born a paraplegic with Down Syndrome.

Kurtis asked Brenda, "I still don't understand why the kids can't come with us?" Brenda was amazed. Most men would run away from a woman with two kids, especially if one had disabilities - just like her first husband and father of her children had done. Kurtis was not ordinary - - - he had a different mindset.

That evening Kurtis and Brenda loaded up the kids, went to dinner and the movies. When her son needed anything Kurtis would take care of him. When he needed to use the restroom, he picked him up out of his wheelchair, took him and brought him back. The kids loved Kurtis. At the end of the evening, Brenda knew this was the man she was going to marry and spend the rest of her life with.

A year later, they were married and Kurtis adopted both of her children. Since then they have added two more kids.

So what happened to Kurtis the stock boy and Brenda the check-out girl? Well, Mr. & Mrs. Kurt Warner now live in Arizona. If you tune in on 1 February , you can watch him quarterback the Arizona Cardinals in the Super Bowl against the Pittsburgh Steelers! Is this a surprise ending or could you have guessed that he was not an ordinary person? Some athletes are also great people.
KarenS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morninggirl5 wrote:
I'm a Steeler fan, but I've been a Kurt Warner fan for years.

In a supermarket, Kurtis the stock boy, was busily working when a new voice came over the loud speaker asking for a carry out at register 4. Kurtis was almost finished, and wanted to get some fresh air, and decided to answer the call. As he approached the check-out stand a distant smile caught his eye, the new check-out girl was beautiful. She was an older woman (maybe 26, and he was only 22) and he fell in love.

Later that day, after his shift was over, he waited by the punch clock to find out her name. She came into the break room, smiled softly at him, took her card and punched out, then left. He looked at her card, BRENDA. He walked out only to see her start walking up the road. Next day, he waited outside as she left the supermarket, and offered her a ride home. He looked harmless enough, and she accepted. When he dropped her off, he asked if maybe he could see her again, outside of work. She simply said it wasn't possible.

He pressed and she explained she had two children and she couldn't afford a baby-sitter, so he offered to pay for the baby-sitter. Reluctantly she accepted his offer for a date for the following Saturday. That Saturday night he arrived at her door only to have her tell him that she was unable to go with him. The baby-sitter had called and canceled. To which Kurtis simply said, "Well, let's take the kids with us."

She tried to explain that taking the children was not an option, but again not taking no for an answer, he pressed. Finally Brenda, brought him inside to meet her children. She had an older daughter who was just as cute as a bug, Kurtis thought, then Brenda brought out her son, in a wheelchair. He was born a paraplegic with Down Syndrome.

Kurtis asked Brenda, "I still don't understand why the kids can't come with us?" Brenda was amazed. Most men would run away from a woman with two kids, especially if one had disabilities - just like her first husband and father of her children had done. Kurtis was not ordinary - - - he had a different mindset.

That evening Kurtis and Brenda loaded up the kids, went to dinner and the movies. When her son needed anything Kurtis would take care of him. When he needed to use the restroom, he picked him up out of his wheelchair, took him and brought him back. The kids loved Kurtis. At the end of the evening, Brenda knew this was the man she was going to marry and spend the rest of her life with.

A year later, they were married and Kurtis adopted both of her children. Since then they have added two more kids.

So what happened to Kurtis the stock boy and Brenda the check-out girl? Well, Mr. & Mrs. Kurt Warner now live in Arizona. If you tune in on 1 February , you can watch him quarterback the Arizona Cardinals in the Super Bowl against the Pittsburgh Steelers! Is this a surprise ending or could you have guessed that he was not an ordinary person? Some athletes are also great people.

This is a beautiful story. Thanks for sharing it with us. I had to laugh about the babysitter not showing up as that happened to me once. My husband and I had planned a nice evening with some friends when the babysitter was a no-show. You go in panic mode trying how to figure out how to salvage the evening. It was most humbling to realize our social life could be dependent on the whims of a teen-ager. Not fun and rather lowering.
KarenS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danielle D wrote:
Karen S -- do you plan on going to any of the Pre-Super Bowl events being held in Tampa?

Probably not. I like football but am not a major fan. My extent of being involved will be watching the game from home or at a restaurant. A lot of the events seem to be for the benefit of the visiting teams and their fans. I just want to stay away from the crowds.
KarenS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great game! It's more thrilling when the teams are evenly matched as the Steelers and Cardinals. Really wasn't certain which team would be the eventual winner with the lead changing through out the game like it did.

Joe Namath has certainly aged. He was always some one I thought would stay perpetually young.
xina

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't watch it...not into football at all but my hubby and a few of his brothers did. I did make sure I watched the half time show though. The Boss can still rock. He's 58!!! And still breezing through his songs. Amazing. He must be doing something very right.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: