AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Outlander movie-SPOILERS in regard to the Outlander series
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tirlittan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandlynn wrote:
Is this movie actually being made now or going to be in the near future? I was looking for a link in this thread, but see nothing.

Below is what was posted at Diana Gabaldon's website re. the movie. (http://www.its.caltech.edu/~gatti/gabaldon/gabaldon.html) Like she says, it's early days yet, we'll see if this time it'll actually get made. ;)

17 November 2008

Movie News Update
I’ve been getting a number of enquiries, since press releases have started appearing about the movie production of Outlander—excited folk asking “Is it true?” “When?” and (I hope you’ll pardon a brief roll of the eyes here), “Who would you cast?” (I couldn’t begin to guess how many thousands of times I’ve been asked that over the last twenty years.)

It’s very early days as yet, but I’ll answer what I can.

Yes, Essential Productions —is developing Outlander as a “major motion picture.” (What that means is that they want to make a two-to-two-and-a-half hour feature film.)

And yes, Randall Wallace (the talented gentleman who wrote both Braveheart and Pearl Harbor—hey, ancient Scots and—WWII, how about that?) is writing the script.

No, I have absolutely nothing to say about the casting of the movie. The production people do occasionally ask me what I think of this or that person, but this is simple politeness on their part.

No, I have no control whatever regarding the script.

No, I really don’t want to have anything personal to do with the development of the movie.

Why not? Well, two major reasons (putting aside the fact that producers seldom want the original writer sticking his or her oar in and causing trouble):

1) I have books to write and a family to be with. I can’t be hopping planes every other week or dropping everything else at a moment’s notice to do script adjustments. (I do know that all movie scripts go through many (many, many) iterations, rewrites, etc. in the process of development and filming.) That kind of thing eats your time and sucks your soul, and to no good end.

2) For nearly twenty years now, people have been saying to me, “Oh! I’m dying to see the movie of your books! But I want it to be just like it is in the book!” To which the only possible reply is, “Yeah? Which forty pages do you want to see?”

Obviously, a book of the size and complexity of Oulander won’t fit into a two-hour movie. But it might be possible for a good movie based on the book to exist. Adaptations can be either good or bad—they’re seldom indifferent—but a skilful adaptation is just as much a feat of skill as is writing an original book or script.

Yes, I could adapt the book myself. With the net result that even if

a) no one then messed with the script (and they would; that’s how film works), and

b) the end result was wonderful (odds of about 900:1)—ten million people would still email me about, “But how could you leave out that scene?” Or “But why did you change this character?” Or “But you left out my favorite line in the whole book!”

I’d really rather write a new novel.

Now, do bear in mind a couple of things here:

1) Essential Productions have an option on the book. This means that they paid us a modest amount of money and we gave them a span of time, in which they can do anything they want to, in order to put together the necessary financing and logistics to make a movie (that includes hiring a scriptwriter).

We (my agents and I) get a lot of option requests. We decided to grant Essential Productions an option because we like them, we think they understand the book and its central characters, and insofar as such a thing is possible, we trust them to do their best to make it a great movie.

But it is an option.

2) Not all movies that are optioned actually get made. Even movies that have excellent scripts, A-list directors and recognizable stars don’t always get made. Naturally, we hope this one will, because we do like the EP people and think that of all the producers who’ve approached us about the film rights, they have the best chance of succeeding in making a great movie.

But we’ll all have to wait and see what happens next.

And that’s all I can tell you.

Le meas,

--Diana

P.S. Well, I can also tell you that a) yes, Gerard Butler is a fine-looking specimen of Scottish manhood, even if he is a Lowlander, but b) I think he might have difficulty playing a 22-year-old virgin; c) Keira Knightley would probably make an excellent Claire (she has the accent and the capacity for sarcasm), if she gained forty pounds, but d) James McAvoy is probably a wonderful actor, but he’s only 5’7”, for heaven’s sake.
Kerstin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tirlittan wrote:

I also think they'll want to give the movie a HEA and I would assume most moviegoers to find that more believable without the whole rape-baggage -thing. - Of course, if there are sequels in the horizon, leaving it out might cause problems in the future. So perhaps they'll sort of allude to it/ leave it open for that reason?

While I can easily do without the beating scene and don't think it is integral to the story I'm ambivalent about the rape scene. If "Outlander" is intended as a standalone you certainly don't need the rape scene, a torture scene will be enough. But if you want to do the sequels as well, leaving it out might cause problems.

I'll go and watch it anyway but I'm afraid I'm going to be disappointed. On the other hand, Outlander as a movie will be available for a much larger audience and thus be known by a much larger audience. And if they cast the right people for it, it might in the long run surpass the book's success. It reminds me of "Gone with the wind". I read the book long before I watched the movie and was severely disappointed by the film. I found Gable and Leigh totally miscast (Leigh did not look remotely like I pictured Scarlett and Gable as Rhett was only marginally better IMO) and the plot very altered but over the years I have seen countless fans who watched the movie first and have Gable and Leigh's characters imprinted on their minds to such a degree that they can't envision (nor want to envision) any other person ever playing these roles. They have become public icons as has the movie. A film has neither necessarily to be close to the book nor must the film have characters that match the heroes in the book remotely look-wise to be a raving success. A film can have its own dynamics and in fact tell a different story altogether (much to my dismay because I'm a reader first).

Kerstin
Marcella

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB lists an Outlander movie to be released in 2011, but no details are visible unless you have a IMDBpro membership... (which I don't)

Shelfari: http://www.shelfari.com/o1517877219
xina

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="tirlittan"]
Sandlynn wrote:
Is this movie actually being made now or going to be in the near future? I was looking for a link in this thread, but see nothing.

2) For nearly twenty years now, people have been saying to me, “Oh! I’m dying to see the movie of your books! But I want it to be just like it is in the book!” To which the only possible reply is, “Yeah? Which forty pages do you want to see?”

Thanks for the info trilattan! I couldn't find info anywhere and thought it was wishful thinking on the part of the readers who loved the book. I love this statement she makes about the 40 pages!
Very good that Randall Wallace would be doing the screenwriting. His book Love and Honor is wonderful...I've liked all his books, but L&H reads more like a romance. Actually, this book was rumored to be a movie. I think they had talked with Angelina Jolie about playing Catherine The Great, but nothing came of it. Maybe someday....
ajohnson

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outlander and it's sequels are my favorite books, I have read each at least twice. Some more. Although not perfect and sometimes a little wordy I love them all. After reading thousands of pages I adore Jamie and Claire and sometimes feel like I know them (as well as one can know fictional characters). They have faces and voices and emotions. A movie could NEVER live up to my expectations and I fear the movie will displace the voices and faces I have in my head when I read the books. (Already I am having to purge the Daniel Craig thing!)

When I read the movie news on DG's site I was far from excited. I thought "please no". I'm not a fan of movies adapted from books I've read and loved. I simply cannot be pleased by someone elses vision of characters that I care about. Very Happy ("Twilight" comes to mind since I just saw it last weekend and I didn't feel nearly as strong about those books or characters.)

My gosh what if they cast someone who isn't Scottish and they have a really bad "put-on" accent Crying or Very sad . Or worse yet really bad movie wig Shocked. Because honestly it would be impossible to cast someone talented, scottish and red headed!!!

Negative Nellie aside for a moment. Something I wouldn't be so upset about a cable series (HBO, SHO) series. Where it could be true to the length of the story which that takes Jamie and Claire from their 20's to their 50's (so far). And could portray the time/setting, the intimacy and violence of the books accurately.

It will be heartbreaking to me if it is done badly.
Karaa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajohnson wrote:
My gosh what if they cast someone who isn't Scottish and they have a really bad "put-on" accent Crying or Very sad . Or worse yet really bad movie wig Shocked. Because honestly it would be impossible to cast someone talented, scottish and red headed!!!

Kevin McKidd.

Talented Scottish red-head, tall enough and handsome too. :D

Résumé includes: Vronsky to Anna Karenina, Bothwell to Mary, Queen of Scots, Duke of Norfolk, Lucius Vorenus in "Rome" AND Dr. Owen Hunt, the hunky army surgeon in "Grey's Anatomy."

Perfect, no? Laughing
Yulie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karaa wrote:
Kevin McKidd.

Talented Scottish red-head, tall enough and handsome too. :D

Résumé includes: Vronsky to Anna Karenina, Bothwell to Mary, Queen of Scots, Duke of Norfolk, Lucius Vorenus in "Rome" AND Dr. Owen Hunt, the hunky army surgeon in "Grey's Anatomy."

Perfect, no? Laughing

That's not what my Jamie looks like!
ajohnson

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]Karaa wrote:
Kevin McKidd.

Talented Scottish red-head, tall enough and handsome too.

Perfect, no?

Funny when I was writing that post I was thinking of "Rome" on HBO.

I actually have a little thing for Kevin McKidd... Scottish, red-headed and tall maybe my love for Jamie Fraser has more influence on me than I thought. Very Happy

I didn't know Kevin Mckidd was Scottish (I thought he was English)...no matter. He renewed my interest in "Grey's Anatomy". I really like his character on Grey's. However, he is a little old to pull off Jamie in his 20's.

[/quote]
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently there's some news about it on movie sites. (I "love" the commentary the articles are getting.)

http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/10/30/diana-gabaldons-outlander-headed-to-the-big-screen/

http://www.cinematical.com/2008/10/30/outlander-to-show-moviegoers-whats-underneath-a-kilt/

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/braveheart-scribe-adapting-outlander?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=news
xina

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajohnson wrote:
[quote]Karaa wrote:
Kevin McKidd.

Talented Scottish red-head, tall enough and handsome too.

Perfect, no?

Funny when I was writing that post I was thinking of "Rome" on HBO.

I actually have a little thing for Kevin McKidd... Scottish, red-headed and tall maybe my love for Jamie Fraser has more influence on me than I thought. Very Happy

I didn't know Kevin Mckidd was Scottish (I thought he was English)...no matter. He renewed my interest in "Grey's Anatomy". I really like his character on Grey's. However, he is a little old to pull off Jamie in his 20's.

[/quote]

Oh...I love Kevin McKidd. He was on that time travel show on TV last year...can't recall the title, but it was canceled. That is where I started noticing him. And yes, he is Scottish. I saw an interview with him on David Letterman...or somewhere, and he said that he has alwys had to cover his accent in his acting jobs...recently. Such a lovely accent...a shame to cover it up. He's a bit old to play a 22yr. old though isn't he? Possibly they could make him look younger.
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the actors I've read mentioned on the internets are too old. And the young ones don't seem to have the gravitas, leaving aside the fact that they all look like male models.
Karaa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yulie, McKidd is not what my Jamies look like either -- my Jamie in English and my Jamie in translation, which oddly enough are quite not alike. But I do have a serious thing for McKidd ever since "Anna Karenina" and the (unfortunately!) short-lived "North Square" (which introduced me to McKidd AND Rupert Penry-Jones), and his seriously *hot and bothered* Bothwell in "Gunpowder, Treason & Plot".

"My Jamie" would be something more like this:

Another huge favorite of mine, Hans Matheson (b. 1975), with youthful good (dark) looks; is best known as Marius opposite Claire Danes in Les Misérables, Zhivago opposite Keira Knightley in Doctor Zhivago, Earl of Essex in BBC's "The Virgin Queen" and Thomas Cranmer in "The Tudors":

Other Scottish actors to consider:

Alastair Mackenzie (b. 1970), best known as Laird Archie in "Monarch Of The Glen":

And then there's the "quintessential" Scot, Ewan McGregor (b. 1971), of course, although, maybe not... Laughing

Dougray Scott, although he's quite a bit older (b. 1965), probably best known for this film:

And our Desmond Hume from "Lost", Henry Ian Cusick (b. 1967):

The younger actors seem just so...young. :roll:

Edited to add: two more young & handsome ones. Laughing

Simon Woods (b. 1980), not a Scot but young handsome red-head nevertheless. Very Happy Best known as Gaius Octavian Caesar in "Rome" and the young Dr. Harrison in Gaskell's "Cranford":

And Australian actor ("of Irish and Scottish decent") Alex O'Loughlin (b. 1975, 6' 2"), best known as the vampire hottie Mick St. John in "Moonlight" and as Will Bryant in "Mary Bryant":

xina

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of my daughter likes Jensen Ackles.....I have no idea who he is, but he has....potential for Jamie?.....
www.jensenacklesfans.com
graceC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Outlander is being made into a Hollywood movie? Wow! I can't wait!

Regarding Jamie's rape scene, I think it can be done without being graphic. There's a movie called 'Sleeper' with Brad Pitt, Kevin Bacon, Robert DeNiro, Dustin Hoffman, etc. It's a movie about a small group of boys who committed a prank that turned into a freak accident that cost a life. These boys then were sent into juveline facilities and while serving their time, they were sexually abused repeatedly by their guards (the lead guard was played by Kevin Bacon). I remember the rape scene shows nothing but prison walls, and black shadows, with the sound of little boys' muffled whimper & cry in the background. There was no sex act on screen whatsoever, but somehow it feels more powerful because it allows your own imagination to run free about the horror that's going on right then.
SabrinaJL

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVE Jensen Ackles. I don't think he'd be a good Jamie at all though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: