AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Outlander movie-SPOILERS in regard to the Outlander series
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kerstin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Outlander movie-SPOILERS in regard to the Outlander series Reply with quote

Does anyone else having troubles to imagine "Outlander" being put into a movie? I have the sneaking suspicion that the movie might make the original story unrecognizable. First of all the book is full of graphic sex scenes. If they put all of them into a movie it will be quickly labeled an erotic movie (though I wouldn't exactly mind that, lol). Then there's Jamie beating Claire (how on earth are they going to film that? But to leave it out is not possible either..or is it?). And then there's the rape and torture of Jamie which was really gruesome. It would quickly turn the film into an R-rated movie. I could imagine that they put all the violence of the book in it (well, except for Claire's beating and Jamie's rape-I cannot imagine that in a blockbuster Hollywood movie) but leave all the sex out. Which would be a huge disappointment for me. LOL. What do you think?

Kerstin
Beth W

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so worried about the sex scenes - they can make those not so graphic while still getting the point across. The spanking/beating of Claire I doubt would be left in - there's just absolutely no way that would fly these days, look at all the controversy it has caused over the years. I'd be shocked if that would be left in.

Jamie's rape and torture is another matter - that will be delicate. But I think a good screenwriter and director could do it.

But what concerns me more than anything is there is just NO WAY that book can be made into a 2 (or even 3) hour movie, without totally compromising the story. I've always thought it was much better suited to a mini-series where 6 or 8 hours could be devoted to the telling.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they'll leave out the spanking scene as well as Jamie's rape. They may have BJR physically attack him in some way if they keep the scene but I think that's as far as it will go. I think the movie will do ok with a sex scene or two, they have a lot of practice in Hollywood. :)

Recently I watched Twilight go from book to big screen and although I liked the movie ok, so much was lost in the process. Not only what they left out but scenes they invented or changed for the movie. And this was with working closely with the author too, I don't know that DG will work that closely with the movie. It seems from what she's said on her website that she would not.

If they do make the movie I know so much of Outlander will be left behind in the process, there is just no way around it. My highest hope is that it isn't too painful and that they find some good actors to reflect the characters. I'll be the first one in line to see it, in any case, I canna help myself. :)

Linda
xina

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beth W wrote:
I'm not so worried about the sex scenes - they can make those not so graphic while still getting the point across. The spanking/beating of Claire I doubt would be left in - there's just absolutely no way that would fly these days, look at all the controversy it has caused over the years. I'd be shocked if that would be left in.

Jamie's rape and torture is another matter - that will be delicate. But I think a good screenwriter and director could do it.

But what concerns me more than anything is there is just NO WAY that book can be made into a 2 (or even 3) hour movie, without totally compromising the story. I've always thought it was much better suited to a mini-series where 6 or 8 hours could be devoted to the telling.

I think the sex scenes would be easy for Hollywood to put on a screen. (Aren't they talking about an HBO series too...so then they'd have a lot of leeway) As for the scene where Jamie beats Clare (sorry, that was never a spanking scene to me) I don't see how it could be shown and still have the audience love the hero...Jamie. I adore the books and had a hard time with that one. As for the rape scene...I could see them leaving that in. That is not so unheard of in movies. Just so it's not on the Lifetime Channel Rolling Eyes
Yulie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
If they do make the movie I know so much of Outlander will be left behind in the process, there is just no way around it. My highest hope is that it isn't too painful and that they find some good actors to reflect the characters. I'll be the first one in line to see it, in any case, I canna help myself.

You and I both, Linda - unless they seriously miscast Jamie. That would be inexcusable. And maybe a movie will finally lead to a Hebrew translation so that I can make my friends read it. None of them will tackle 900 pages in English. Cowards all! Very Happy

Gabaldon wrote somewhere that people often say to her that they want the movie to be just like the book, and that her response to his is "Great! Which 40 pages do you want to see?" Laughing

There is no way Jamie's rape makes it into a Hollywood movie. Never. Not going to happen. My guess is that they'll show him being physically assaulted and tortured, and then Claire et al. will rescue him as happened in the book, with the cows and everything, and the movie will end with J&C on their way to France after the successful escape; no scenes at the Abbey.
JulieR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yulie wrote:

There is no way Jamie's rape makes it into a Hollywood movie. Never. Not going to happen.

Maybe not graphically, but consider Lawrence of Arabia, which many consider to be a great film: Lawrence, while pretending to be an Arab, gets raped by a Turk.
xina

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no way Jamie's rape makes it into a Hollywood movie. Never. Not going to happen. My guess is that they'll show him being physically assaulted and tortured, and then Claire et al. will rescue him as happened .[/quote]

Why would it not happen? I think they could shoot the scene so that we are not specifically watching it. I think it's an important part of the book and would have to be included.
As for the whole thing about this actually becoming a movie. I'll believe it when I see it. It seems there have always been these conversations started about who would play who, but I'm not so sure it will happen.
cheri

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so sure I would see this movie. The book, no matter what the book, never comes out the way it's supposed to. I'll be so upset, I just know it. Who would play Jamie? or Claire? I think they will leave the torture scenes in and probably show enough of the rape so the viewer can put it together in their head but not enough where there is an actual rape in the scene. Like maybe the door closes on the scene and you can just hear things? well good luck cuz if they don't get it right, there are alot of romance fans that will make sure they know they screwed up! Laughing cheri
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
Why would it not happen? I think they could shoot the scene so that we are not specifically watching it. I think it's an important part of the book and would have to be included.
As for the whole thing about this actually becoming a movie. I'll believe it when I see it. It seems there have always been these conversations started about who would play who, but I'm not so sure it will happen.

Xina, I highly doubt they'll show a male rape scene but maybe they'll surprise me. I think it would be too much of a turn-off to the audience, much like the spanking/beating scene which by the way I found amusing in the way DG handled it. Smile I don't think the rape scene is integral to the story enough that it must make it into the movie, they can show him torturing Jamie and that will be enough. They're going to have to cut away an awful lot.

Like you though I'll be very surprised if it does actually make it to the big screen. The rights having been purchased and then renewed does not a movie make. Hmm, perhaps as a tv mini-series, do they still do those? That at least would allow for a little more time.

She does say on her webpage the line about 'Which 40 pages do you want to see?" Makes a good point I thought.

Linda
tirlittan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the rape scene probably being cut. Simply because there is so little time to go through all the twists and arcs of the story, and the scene is at the end (relatively speaking Wink ) of the book. And the abbey scenes - as much as I like them - seem like an easy thing to cut too, like Yulie said, to end the movie in a concise way.

I also think they'll want to give the movie a HEA and I would assume most moviegoers to find that more believable without the whole rape-baggage -thing. - Of course, if there are sequels in the horizon, leaving it out might cause problems in the future. So perhaps they'll sort of allude to it/ leave it open for that reason? (Huh! The trouble with these make-belief-scenarios is that I always end up contradicting myself..Laughing)

I'm not sure I'd want to see the film either and the whole casting thing: all I can say is (and this may sound odd) that the Jamie and Claire in my head don't really have faces, I feel like I see them more through their heads than their looks (does that make any sense?). I'm kind of afraid to have faces plastered on them, I might be unable to get them out of my head, and I don't want to see "Daniel Craig et al." every time I reread the book.. (I hate it when authors compare their characters' looks to real people for this same reason, no matter what the genre.)

So my reaction to the actors' names and pictures seems bound to be the same no matter who they are: "That's not AT ALL how they look!" What can I say? I guess I'm one of those people (at least in this), who define things through the negative.. :lol:

PS. I really like Daniel Craig, he's a great actor, but not Jamie! Wink And pleeease no too pretty boys as Jamie either, he's handsome, but rugged.
xina

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tirlittan wrote:

I'm not sure I'd want to see the film either and the whole casting thing: all I can say is (and this may sound odd) that the Jamie and Claire in my head don't really have faces,

PS. I really like Daniel Craig, he's a great actor, but not Jamie! Wink And pleeease no too pretty boys as Jamie either, he's handsome, but rugged.

Yes, that is exactly my feeling. I can't put a face on Jamie or Clare. Maybe I have certain features in mind, only because the descriptions were put there through the author's writing. But other than that....everyone who loves the book seems to have different views.
As for Daniel Craig. I am heartily sorry I put that vision in people's mind. so......never mind....X1000. Rolling Eyes
tirlittan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:

As for Daniel Craig. I am heartily sorry I put that vision in people's mind.

Don't be sorry, at least not on my account, Xina. I do like hearing/seeing how other reades picture the characters. It's the movie - if there ever will be one - that might cause cringes and/or grimaces here. Although, it's not very likely to have as big an impact as the books, or be as detailed, so maybe we'll be able to watch it as a separate entity alltogether.. Wink

T
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a very distinct image of Jamie and Claire in my mind, though it's rare I do that with any book. Usually it's just a shadowy image that's hard to pinpoint into exact features. I'm looking forward to this comic book type thing that DG has been working on, if only to see what DG approved characters will look like. I know she's been working hard to make sure they get them right. Hopefully I will not have my illusions completely shattered, lol.

Aside from faces, another thing that's hard to match in the movie is the voice inflection when speaking. When I went to see Twilight for instance, although the actress could have been Bella in my mind for looks she didn't deliver the lines in the same way I heard them spoken when reading the books and it was disconcerting. She delivered the lines in more of a monotone and the emotion that I had picture behind the words just wasn't there. When I listened to Outlander on tape it was Claire especially that sounded no where near how I thought the character would. And yet, DG will say that the woman that read the lines for the books on tape did an excellent job so apparently it wasn't far off from what she's imagined.

The beautiful thing about books is that we can bring our own interpretation into how lines are spoken or how the character appear physically. That's a large part of what suffers whenever any of them make it onto the screen.

Linda
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this movie actually being made now or going to be in the near future? I was looking for a link in this thread, but see nothing.
xina

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandlynn wrote:
Is this movie actually being made now or going to be in the near future? I was looking for a link in this thread, but see nothing.

That's just the thing. There is no solid information. None that I can find at least.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: