AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Once upon a time in Sweden

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tirlittan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Once upon a time in Sweden Reply with quote

.. In the 70's

I was having a grey day. And then I came across these pictures while surfing the internet.

It was a tough call, but after a lot of thought (and far too much time spent looking at these guys: they've begun to look kind of cool! Shocked) I believe The Claes Lennarth Club takes the prize: (Can you spot the oddball in the band?) Laughing

The runner-ups were: (In no particular order. Wink )

Last edited by tirlittan on Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
MMcA

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...and far too much time spent looking at these guys: they've begun to look kind of cool!

How long did that take, exactly?

Wouldn't a series of connected romances based on one of those groups be fabulous? They'd probably count as Historicals...
tirlittan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMcA wrote:
Quote:
...and far too much time spent looking at these guys: they've begun to look kind of cool!

How long did that take, exactly?

:lol: Well, I stumbled across them this afternoon and have been going back all evening. (I wrote that post around 11 pm) I'm not yet at the point where I'd replace my screensaver to a medley of these or anything, but fellow readers beware, these guys have a way of growing on you... 8)

I find myself smiling a lot.

MMcA wrote:
Wouldn't a series of connected romances based on one of those groups be fabulous? They'd probably count as Historicals...

The possibilities in a series like that just boggle my mind.. Who needs brooding earls and lords of slut when you can read about a band of singing vikings who wear black leather (or colourful spandex) on the job and handknitted sweaters when they're home. Plus, all the Swedish men I've ever met have been real gentlemen. :)

ETA: Seriously, I think part of the appeal is the "ruggedness" of these "PR" pictures. In this age of photoshopping and airbrushing it's very easy to forget that the majority of the pictures in women's magazines for example have been reworked in some way or form. (Take a look at the portfolio of this firm for example.)
clutterconqueror

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link to that firm. Amazing. I think I'll show this to my ten year old daughter so she can keep things in perspective.

Ahem. And I think I'll keep looking too. Just to keep my 46 yo self in perspective. I'd love to see a before/after of Demi Moore or someone else my age.

Joyce
Schola

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+IHS+

Thanks for sharing! Laughing The 70s isn't my favourite decade, but these pictures put a smile on my face, too. Very Happy
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tirlittan wrote:

ETA: Seriously, I think part of the appeal is the "ruggedness" of these "PR" pictures. In this age of photoshopping and airbrushing it's very easy to forget that the majority of the pictures in women's magazines for example have been reworked in some way or form. (Take a look at the portfolio of this firm for example.)

You know what really interested me in that portfolio? Sure the skin was touched up but the boniness of Diaz and other models was brushed away so they looked healthier. That, I think, is what bugged me most. They look sick and unappealing with as thin as they appear and that should have been left in there.

Maggie
tirlittan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maggie b. wrote:

You know what really interested me in that portfolio? Sure the skin was touched up but the boniness of Diaz and other models was brushed away so they looked healthier. That, I think, is what bugged me most. They look sick and unappealing with as thin as they appear and that should have been left in there.

Maggie

Or how about the ones of Eva Longoria and PenÚlope Cruz, where they've actually given them the (extra) curves they're so well known of?

My biggest peeve were/are perhaps pictures like the one of Cate Blanchett and Connie Nielsen (is that her name?) or Jonathan Rhys Meyers, where the airbrushing has taken away all the fragility and humanity -that's to say the appeal of the person- by making them look all glossy and frankly not human. Sad Why would anyone want to do that? Why would anyone prefer a plastic look like that over the real thing?

I feel I should add that I don't really know if these particular pictures have actually been used in any ads/magazines (I stumbled across the link to that firm in a blog I occationally read), but they do look a lot like the ones that are. And seeing them certainly opened my eyes somewhat (like they say, there's a difference in knowing that something's done and seeing it done).

T

@ Joyce & Schola: You're welcome! Just passing on the knowledge/joy... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: