AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Slumdog Millionaire, New Movie

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kayne

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Slumdog Millionaire, New Movie Reply with quote

Has anyone else seen Slumdodg Millionaire, a new movie that came out recently about a young man in India competing in an Indian version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire and reflects back over his life in the slums in India? Its a very intense drama with a love story. I definatley see Oscar possibilities.
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Slumdog Millionaire Reply with quote

This movie is definitely on my list of movies to see, but I have a question for those who have seen it: I've heard that the hero is tortured by the police, who believe he's cheated to win the quiz show. How graphic us the torture scene? The movie was filmed in Mumbai, including several of the sites that were attacked by the terrorists this week, and I'm not sure I'm up for anything that's too graphic or goes on too long. OTOH, everyone I know who has seen this movie has loved it. I generally don't care for spoilers, but I'm definitely looking for a spoiler about the violence quotient only.
Kayne

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The torture scene involved some electicity on his toes but he passed out and was then able to proceed with the interrogation. Most of the movie is told in flashbacks as he shares his life story answering the police chief's questions. The hardest scene of the story for me (I had to cover my eyes) involved maiming of an orphan. Jamal, himself, was an overcomer.

I want to rent Monsoon Wedding next after seeing it mentioned here. I hope it is like Bend it Like Beckham.
redcomet

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw this movie today with my son who is 21. I was holding my breath and had to remind myself to breath. There are intense scenes in this movie that really drew me into the story. It is an excellent movie and would recommend to people who are looking for a great story and excellent acting. Jamal and Salim and Latika are excellent. My son also thought it was exellent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: