AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Twilight Movie
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Caro

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Twilight Reply with quote

I've never read the Twilight novels and have no desire to after seeing the film last week. While I now understand why twelve-year-old girls are crazy for all things Twilight, I found myself alternately bored and in gales of inappropriate laughter (the staring! the staring! . . . and more staring!).
Jane G

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ I do think that's one of the failures of the movie, is that you never quite figure out what's going on with Edward in the beginning-- he just seems weird and awkward and creepy.

What's actually happening is that he's torn in a few different directions. First, he wants to kill her, because her blood smells so appetizing. Second, she's the only one whose mind he can't read--and Edward has always been a warning system for his family; whenever anyone is thinking that the Cullens might be something more than human, they leave. He has no idea what Bella thinks, if she knows, if she suspects, how she'll react... so despite the blood lust, he has to stick close to her, to hear what she's saying, observe her, try to figure her out. But, third, once he does start talking to her, to try to figure out how much she knows, she begins to surprise and intrigue him, so he starts to fall in love with her.

In my opinion, none of that was conveyed well in the movie. you could see it if you already knew what was going on, but I know my friends were like, "wtf?" most of the time, because they didn't get any of that, at all.
Skrabs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caro, I think its kinda like all highly anticipated books that are turned into movies. They never quite convey what the books do. I have to admit that I was cynical about Twilight when I first heard it raved about (there's something in my head that makes me automatically disdainful of things everyone loves - and I know I shouldn't do it because every time I do read them they're great; Nalini Singh's Psy Changeling series for example), but I have to admit that when I finally got the book I sat up until five in the morning. I couldn't put it down. And then I immediately bought the rest of the series.
Schola

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jane G wrote:
In my opinion, none of that was conveyed well in the movie. you could see it if you already knew what was going on, but I know my friends were like, "wtf?" most of the time, because they didn't get any of that, at all.

You know, that didn't occur to me until I saw it again last Saturday night with a friend who knew nothing about the books. She kept asking for clarification during scenes when I thought everything was pretty obvious!
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Twilight Reply with quote

Caro wrote:
I've never read the Twilight novels and have no desire to after seeing the film last week. While I now understand why twelve-year-old girls are crazy for all things Twilight, I found myself alternately bored and in gales of inappropriate laughter (the staring! the staring! . . . and more staring!).

Uh..I kind of cringe when I see this series lumped into something for 12 year old girls, though can't ignore the evidence that there are many young girls and older teenage girls that love the series. I loved it from the first moment I read the book and rather than a 12 year old girl I'm the Mom of a 15 year old girl. Smile For me it's a better romance than most adult romance novels I've read.

I recently found this site for Twilight Moms and feel somewhat validated. *G*

http://www.twilightmoms.com/

Linda
Cyl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Twilight again with my friend who wanted to see it; she enjoyed it and she is 56, so it really isn't just for 12 year old girls. Fwiw, Her son thinks it's for 14 year olds Laughing

Every time I've seen it (once on my own, and three times with friends/relatives), there have been lots of adults in the audience - both men and women. I wonder if they are really interested, or if they just want to know what all the hype is about.
Skrabs

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it finally hit Australia, and I got to see it on Friday! Big Very Happy from me. I don't think I've sat in a theatre, waiting for a movie to begin with such butterflies since Lord of The Rings.

Yes there were faults (ugh, the special effects!), yes I think I've become an unabashed fangirl, but I don't care. I loved every second of it. Edward was perfectly cast in my opinion and I really liked the actor that played Jacob - but he's got a heck of a lot of growing to do for the next few books! Bella was okay but looked slightly anemic. Charlie - brilliant. Loved the pepper spray and shotgun bits. Emmett - perfect. I thought Jasper was desperately underused but understand. Alice didn't get much airplay either.

Real sense of menace from James and the others, but then I'm a big Cam Gigandet fan anyway. I always liked a badass.
Natalie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder why they let the director go. The movie did very well, especially taking into account it's modest (for a blockbuster) budget.
Cyl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Natalie,

I read the studio wanted to shoot for a Dec 2009 release and Ms Hardwicke wanted more time on the development end with a mid-late 2010 release. Plus, she had another project already scheduled for the same timeframe.

On the other hand, I also read there was some tension between Robert Pattinson and the director. I don't think they would have switched directors for that reason alone, but you never know.

Both or neither could be true.
Maggie AAR

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FINALLY got to see this for the second time. It flowed much better for me, I think because the bad visuals no longer pulled me out of the movie like they did the first time. But every time I saw Carlisle or Jacob, that changed. Why, why WHY could they not have spent just a little more time on makeup/wigs. I really don't think it would have blown the budget.

I'll still be getting the video. My unhealthy obsession with all things Twilight remains firmly in place. Twisted Evil

maggie b.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maggie b. wrote:
I'll still be getting the video. My unhealthy obsession with all things Twilight remains firmly in place. Twisted Evil

maggie b.

Maggie, mine too, I can't wait for the DVD. Smile

Linda
exxie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am still waiting here ..usually movies come to my city-istanbul at the same time with world but this time i ve been waiting for motnhs.. and 11 days to come..

i am 30 and a total edward and rob fan and kinda ashamed of it when ppl generalize it a 12 year old girl flick.

anyways, i ll be going with hubby, with gfs and myself..and then ordering dvd from amazon and watch more Embarassed

had doupts about rob in the beginning cause i had cedrics image at my mind, but it totally changed whaen i saw the first stills of movie.
MMcA

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it tonight. My fifteen year old saw it with her friends the first day it was out, before Christmas, but wanted to see it again.

Given, while I've read the books, I didn't love them - I read them because the 15 year old loved them, and needed to share. So, while I know what happens, I didn't have strong ideas about how the characters ought to look, or anything.

(That always throws me with the HP movies, because I love the books so much that I can never enjoy the films at first - I'm always too conscious how they differ from the books.)

Anyway, I really enjoyed it. I'm not sure if I'd have followed it if I hadn't read the books, but as it was, apart from cringing a little bit when Edward first sees Bella, and thinking that Jacob wasn't young enough, I just enjoyed the whole thing.

I think possibly the fact that it hasn't had brilliant reviews helped: I went with very low expectations, and just thought it was good fun. I particularly liked the lead actress as Bella - and I thought they did her clumsiness well - emphasised, but not comic.
I feel guilty about liking it so much, but I think of all the films I've taken the children to, these holidays, this was my favourite.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just reading that the sequel will be out on Nov 20th. Same actor to play Jacob - honestly I was disappointed in his 'look' compared to how I picture Jacob but the actor is so darn nice I can't begrudge him the part. Same actors for Bell and Edward too of course.

Linda
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
I was just reading that the sequel will be out on Nov 20th. Same actor to play Jacob - honestly I was disappointed in his 'look' compared to how I picture Jacob

His teeth were too white. Seriously. It bugged me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: