AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Have You Read the Candidate?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Have You Read the Candidate? Reply with quote

Since we're a book reading web site, I thought I'd ask the question. Have you read any of the candidates' books? McCain's? Obama's? Biden's? (I don't think Palin has written a book ... yet. But, I wouldn't be surprised if "Joe the Plumber" has one coming out soon.Wink )

In any event, I'm in the middle of Laura Lee Guhrke's "Conor's Way," but I put it aside today to start reading, Barack Obama's "Dreams From My Father." (I don't usually read politicians' books. I actually had bought it to give it to a friend for her birthday, but I gave her a set of Ina Garten's "The Barefoot Contessa" Food Network DVD's and kept the book to read for myself.)

Anyway, I started reading it today and am about 60 pages in. I must say, he had one interesting childhood. Being the daughter of a -- mostly -- single mother, I too had to deal with a mother who uprooted me and took me places I never expected to be, but nothing like him, that's for sure. I don't know how I would've dealt with what he did. Frankly, when I was 13 and my mother wanted to move again, I stood fast and decided, NO!!!!!

I was not going to spend each year of high school in different schools, at different addresses, so *I,* like Obama, moved in with my grandmother so that I could attend only one high school all four years.

The difference is that Obama's mother made that decision for him. Me, I made it for myself. My mother -- not a very educated individual -- would never have figured out that a young person needs a bit more stability in terms of her academics than she was providing. (Not to disparage her, because she deeply loved me and was a good, proud mother.)

In any event, I am relating to Obama in a weird way.
tyakoffs

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read Obama's first book, but I did read his second which I found very interesting. I also grew up in an academic family that lacked roots and was moved quite frequently. I didn't move out at 17, as much as getting left behind during that move.

I have wondered about Obama's childhood also because during my parents journey's I was at times not accepted as a member of the community we lived in due to race, accent, or family background.

I once read a memior of Alice Walker's daughter who talked about childhood of confusion around race and identity. Her father is white and jewish and the book was a fascinating account of her navigating various worlds in which she seem more observer than member. To what extent was his childhood experience similar?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> The Wild Wild West Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: