AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hugh Jackman's "Australia"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynda X

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Hugh Jackman's "Australia" Reply with quote

I CANNOT wait to see Hugh Jackman in "Australia!" The preview is fabulous, but unfortunately, I haven't been able to find out much about the movie. It looks as if it is a fantastic romance! Anybody know anything about it?

Here's the site to see the preview:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0455824/

PS You might notice that the wonderful music is the same as in "Henry V."
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's movie clip of it. It does look good!! I'll have to wait to see if it has a HEA first though Smile
http://www.australiamovie.com/
LeeB.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Hugh Jackman's "Australia" Reply with quote

Lynda X wrote:
Anybody know anything about it?

Russell Crowe was originally cast instead of Hugh Jackman. I believe Mr. Crowe stepped down because of salary issues.
Skrabs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing I love about the trailer is that the film looks reminiscent of movies made fifty years ago or so. I love the cast - as an Aussie I recognise several of the locals and they're all solid performers, but I have to admit all I can think of when I see Kidman is Mrs. Coulter from the Golden Compass, with that hair.
graceC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristie(J) wrote:
I'll have to wait to see if it has a HEA first though Smile

I feel the same. Especially because the director has a tendency to make love story movies without HEA (Romeo & Juliet, Moulan Rouge).
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristie(J) wrote:
Here's movie clip of it. It does look good!! I'll have to wait to see if it has a HEA first though Smile
http://www.australiamovie.com/

The trailer does look good, but I'm also waiting to see if it has a HEA.
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evidently the original ending was NOT a HEA, but it got negative reviews -- one reviewer called it an "action-packed tragedy" -- and so the ending was redone and now there's a happy ending.
xina

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We saw this last night. Great movie with almost everything...romance, action, humor. Nicole Kidman is a hoot in the beginning. Lots of barbs exchanged between Kidman and Jackman...think Hepburn and Bogart in The African Queen..or...Only His by Lowell. The little boy Nullah was a heart breaker. And....Hugh Jackman is seriously, wonderfully sexy. Loved it but have to say it was a little long, but still...very romantic with a little something for everybody.

edited to add.....Happy ending, even though it is a very close thing.
Lynda X

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a movie with a very good romance, bigger than life characters and country (you will miss A LOT if you don't see this on a big screen), a lovable little boy, and the most suspenseful cattle drive I've EVER seen--in short, a movie extravaganza like they used to make, this is the movie for you! Yes, it's a little long, but you are NEVER bored, and seeing Hugh Jackman in a white tux--well, what more could a woman want? (yeah, having him in real life, but let's not go there). Go, RIGHT NOW, and this this movie which should win "Best Picture"!
Carla Kelly

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Australia Reply with quote

Wish I could say I enjoyed "Australia," but I didn't. I think the fault lies mainly with the director, Baz Luhrman. The movie is wildly all over the place, and he could have used editorial assistance. His style of movie-making screams "attention deficit disorder," which makes it hard to focus.

Quite possibly, Russell Crowe saw where this was going, and that's why he backed out. Hugh Jackman was excellent, though, which comes as no surprise. He's believable. Nicole Kidman, not so much. Her character was more cartoony at first, but that may have been Luhrman's intent. Hard to tell. My trouble with Kidman is that with her height, pale coloring and wide forehead, I think she looks a bit like a space alien.

Can't fault the spectacular scenery, though. What an amazing country. The bombing of Darwin was something that should have been the subject of a film years ago, IMO.

So far, to me, the best war and post-war story of Australia is "A Town Like Alice," the BBC miniseries from years back. The writer was better.

ck
xina

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Australia Reply with quote

Carla Kelly wrote:
Wish I could say I enjoyed "Australia," but I didn't. I think the fault lies mainly with the director, Baz Luhrman. The movie is wildly all over the place, and he could have used editorial assistance. His style of movie-making screams "attention deficit disorder," which makes it hard to focus.

Quite possibly, Russell Crowe saw where this was going, and that's why he backed out. Hugh Jackman was excellent, though, which comes as no surprise. He's believable. Nicole Kidman, not so much. Her character was more cartoony at first, but that may have been Luhrman's intent. Hard to tell. My trouble with Kidman is that with her height, pale coloring and wide forehead, I think she looks a bit like a space alien.

Can't fault the spectacular scenery, though. What an amazing country. The bombing of Darwin was something that should have been the subject of a film years ago, IMO.

So far, to me, the best war and post-war story of Australia is "A Town Like Alice," the BBC miniseries from years back. The writer was better.

ck

Well, I think the all-over-the-place was supposed to be in the same vein as Moulin Rouge. I don't know if you saw that movie or not, but the humor is rather subtle and I took that the beginning...with Kidman, was supposed to be humorous in that way. Personally, I thought Kidman was hysterical. Loved it. As for her looks, I don't really notice her high forehead. I don't think she was supposed to be a raving beauty anyway. I do notice that her eyes always seem to be bloodshot. Loved the costumes too. I think that was wonderful.
My daughter is studying abroad in Australia soon so we were all interested in seeing the movie. My parents lived there on and off for 6 years and have friends there. It was only natural she would pick Australia to study. I may have some emotional tie to the movie, in that way, but I really did enjoy it. Sorry you didn't. Smile
Carla Kelly

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: Australia Reply with quote

Xina, I did think that the cartoony aspect of Kidman's character was probably the way it was supposed to be, and she was funny. My problem is with Baz Luhrman and his style of movie making, I guess. I read somewhere after Moulin Rouge that Luhrman is a director you either love or hate. I wouldn't say I hate him, but I don't generally seek out his movies. "Australia" was a lure I could not overlook, though.

But what a country.

ck
xina

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it looks gorgeous! I wonder what the Australians posters think of the movie. As for Kidman, I read somewhere (can't remember if it was a review or just a commentary) that Kidman wasn't afraid to look ridiculous. She did and acted like she was totally out of her element. I also read that the scene where Jackman pours soapy water over himself was supposed to be funny. Nobody laughed in the theatre when I was there. Some of the women probably **sighed** Smile I read that he didn't want to do that scene because he thought it was silly. Supposedly, after that scene some of the crew on the movie took their shirts off and oiled their torsos, just to make fun of him...in a friendly way of course.
Still, I liked the movie. A little too long for my taste, but worth sitting for almost 3 hours.
Skrabs

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm an Aussie and I finally saw the movie last night. It took me a good half hour to warm up to it. Once I realized how much this had been made for the American market and how exaggerated everything was going to be I decided to just relax and enjoy it.
I liked it though I have to agree it was all over the place. The cattle drive could have been its own movie in one with the bombing being like another movie. Kidman was okay, considering I've never been a fan and Hugh was good. I have to admit that the boy who played Nullah stole the show though. He seemed so natural even when Kidman was overacting.

I have to chuckle at everybody's posts about the scenery - I've done heaps of travel in Australia and believe me, what they showed didn't really impress me at all. It was pretty but only average compared to what there is out there. The area surrounding Darwin is beautiful and Kakadu National Park has its share of stunning spots. Ayers Rock is pretty breathtaking and that's only some of the scenery in the Northern Territory.

One thing that really bothered me about the movie - if Hugh or Nicole said "Crikey" one more time I was going to shoot myself. The first time Hugh said it the whole audience laughed - and groaned. I cannot remember anyone with any self-respect actually using this term seriously. Anyone not an Irwin, anyway. I would be embarrassed if I were Hugh or Nicole.
xina

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Skrabs"]Well, I'm an Aussie and I finally saw the movie last night. It took me a good half hour to warm up to it. Once I realized how much this had been made for the American market and how exaggerated everything was going to be I decided to just relax and enjoy it.

I think Hollywood has to put their own special spin on movies to sell it to the general public. How do you think we, in this part of United States felt about the movie Fargo? LOL...we don't sound nearly that bad.

As for the movie, I thought it was a nice love story, overly long and certainly not a documentary. Agree with you about the little boy. What an absolute sweetheart.

Last edited by xina on Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: