AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gift Queries, Generally?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Gift Queries, Generally? Reply with quote

I've titled this thread generally for others to use for their own queries, but I have a specific question.

My best friend's birthday is this month. She's a woman in her 40's who is married and has a son who is four years old. She works for Fannie Mae ... unfortunately. That's beside the point, however, she is not a romance reader but she loved "The Tea Rose" by Jennifer Donnelly. She also used to study architecture, although she's not an architect. (I already got her the book "Loving Frank," about Frank Lloyd Wright.)

Anybody have suggestions on a birthday gift? I've run out. She likes to cook. She's very health conscious. She likes to go to movies, as well.

She's a tired working mom.
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Gift Reply with quote

I'd give her a gift certificate for a manicure and/or a pedicure. It's time purely to herself, it's definitely a splurge, and she gets pampered for an hour -- what's not to like?
Gail K.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about DVDs from the Food Network?

Personally, I own the Jamie Oliver collection.
bookbug

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If she likes to read but not romances why not give her a historical fiction book about architecture?
The one that most comes to mind is Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. It is all about building an ancient catherdral in medieval England in the 1100's.
One of the most fab books I've read and I'm not an architect! Flying butresses and stained glass window making along with love, murder conflict in the middle ages what could be better?

There is always the body gifts as mentioned above- manicure pedicure, massage facial etc. Or the Iron Chef America DVD's I love those! That could be nice too! Laughing

TTFN
bookbug Smile
Charlotte McClain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Gift Reply with quote

I'd suggest Sugar Lemon Body Wash from fresh (lower case intentional.) Last year I got it as a gift and loved it. The scent is wonderful and it leaves your skin feeling really soft, great for shaving. It's $25, but worth every penny.
xina

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Gift Reply with quote

Charlotte McClain wrote:
I'd suggest Sugar Lemon Body Wash from fresh (lower case intentional.) Last year I got it as a gift and loved it. The scent is wonderful and it leaves your skin feeling really soft, great for shaving. It's $25, but worth every penny.

I love the Sugar Lemon perfume by Fresh. I haven't tried the body wash. I was going to suggest a really nice body cream. The Bliss line is really nice...Body Butter Lemon. I've given it to friends and I"ve used it myself, although it's a little pricey for every day moisturizer.
The Pillars of the Earth is a good idea too...I second that rec. Great book with some nice relationships and really interesting facts about church building by Ken Follett.
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are all good suggestions. I never thought I'd say this, but thank god Christmas is around the corner. (Ugh.)

That book sounds interesting, although I don't know whether my friend has already read it. I gave her a book recently that was over 700 pages long and she shrinked from it. Wink I guess that's a side effect of having a kid to run after. No time for long novels! But, she might like Follett's, even so.

The DVD is a good idea too, and if I changed my mind about it, I certainly would have no problem keeping it myself. (That's the best strategy for buying presents, in fact! Buy things you would have no problem keeping.) Rather than Jamie Oliver, though, who is yummy himself ... as well as his food, I thought about Ina Garten since she fascinates me. She's like Martha Stewart with a less intimidating persona.

But, carry on, please.... Very Happy
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Another Gift Idea Reply with quote

I had another thought about a gift for your friend: what about a set of movie DVDs? She and her husband probably aren't going out much, so it might be nice to give them 3 or so DVDs of movies they can watch together in the evening after their toddler goes to bed. I have no idea what kind of films she likes, but classics like "His Girl Friday" or "The Princess Bride" or whatever might be fun for them. I'd stick to ones that, in a few years when their son is able to play movies himself (which will happen when he wakes up at 6 AM on a Saturday and his parents are still asleep), won't be too sexual or violent for him.
Gail K.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Ina Garten, whose house and husband I want (when I am her age, of course)...I've given the following recipe card set to newlyweds, etc. Might help your friend out when planning for a romantic meal (sans toddler).

bookbug

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can you buy the Sugar Lemon Body Wash from fresh?

I would really appreciate knowing. It sounds wonderful but I don't shop much. Embarassed

Thanks!

BTW Sandlynn, what did you end up getting for your friends birthday?

TTFN
bookbug Smile
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bookbug wrote:

TTFN
bookbug Smile

I went the Ina Garten way and got her the first of the Barefoot Contessa's DVD set: Volumne One.

Barefoot Contessa Vol. 1: Passport to Paris

In the same gift bag, I placed a box of "Democrat Snacks," as this was before the election and it seemed thematic. They are key lime cookies and I bought them at "Chocolate Moose," a vanity gift store.

http://www.plumparty.com/22214/election.html

And, I got her shower gel at World Market:

THERE Thai shower gel
Kass

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give her a gift certificate to a local bookstore and let her choose her own book. I've found, at least for myself, that others are terrible at picking books for me. They either get me books I already have or books I would never choose to keep in a million years.

My blog: http://www.thoughts.com/allergywoman/blog
http://www.shelfari.com/o1517440994
Charlotte McClain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bookbug wrote:
Where can you buy the Sugar Lemon Body Wash from fresh?

I would really appreciate knowing. It sounds wonderful but I don't shop much. Embarassed

Thanks!

TTFN
bookbug Smile

You'll have to order it online unless you live near a Sephora. I finished mine off months ago and I still miss it.
bookbug

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Charlotte McClain! I'll be scoping on line after I finish here!

TTFN
bookbug Smile
monarda

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also get the sugar lemon body was on ebay for much less! There are several brand new ones, if you want to check...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: