AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Catherine Coulter
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Acorn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Catherine Coulter Reply with quote

Hello ladies and gents,

Do any of you like Catherine Coulter? Have any favorites or least favorites?
NoirFemme

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Catherine Coulter and am unashamed to admit it. Despite her proclivity for horrible deflowering scenes, many of her books make me literally LOL--something I rarely do when reading. She writes the most absurd situations and characters, and I love absurdities in romance. Too many times slapstick and broad humor translates poorly in fiction, but Coulter gets it right.

I particularly love

The Courtship
The Scottish Bride
The Hellion Bride
The Nightingale Legacy
The Valentine Legacy (my first romance novel ever!)
Calypso Magic
Midsummer Magic (hilarious)
Moonspun Magic (features a funny scene with the h/h baking bread)
Rosehaven (sorry...lol, I liked this one)
Chandra (aka Warrior's Song)
Jade Star (set in Victorian San Francisco; sweet)
Tinabelle

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoirFemme wrote:
I love Catherine Coulter and am unashamed to admit it. Despite her proclivity for horrible deflowering scenes, many of her books make me literally LOL--something I rarely do when reading. She writes the most absurd situations and characters, and I love absurdities in romance. Too many times slapstick and broad humor translates poorly in fiction, but Coulter gets it right.

I am glad to see someone else admit to being a Coulter fan. She doesn't get much respect on most of the boards. She's kind of a comfort read for me; I know what I'll be getting and can relax and enjoy it for what it is. My all time favorite of hers is The Sherbrooke Bride. I have read many of her other historicals, too, and usually have enjoyed them. And I have been reading her FBI series with FBI agents Dillion Savitch and Lacey Sherlock. Again, some of the stories are a bit "out there" but I have enjoyed them. I have her latest Tailspin on my wish list while I wait patiently for it to be released in a Kindle format.
HeatherB

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catherine Coulter is a guilty pleasure for me. I absolutely hate some of her characters, but I have to admit to rereading those books countless times and I really don't know why. My favorite are The Sherbrooke Bride and Warrior's Song. Watch out for the use of "cream" though. Rolling Eyes
willaful

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find her best in small doses, but do really enjoy some of her books. _The Wyndham Legacy_ and _The Sherbrooke Bride_, _the Hellion Bride_ and _Pendragon_ as well as some of the "Star" books are on my keeper shelf and I have a ton more on my TBR pile. _The Rebel Bride_ was too much for me and I don't dare try _Devil's Embrace_ from all I've read about it.
Mingqi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only read two Catherine Coulter books. One of them is The Sherbrooke Bride- which was wonderful! loved it loved it loved it! The Alex x Douglas couple is one of my favorites! I love how Douglas liked her sister and thought Alex unattractive. Then after they got married- though still resentful of Alex, he couldn't help his attraction to her either and it drives him nuts (one of my fave plots). Alex isn't beautiful but she is level-headed and likable.

The other Catherine Coulter book I read was Midsummer Magic, which I hated. It should have been my kind of book-with the guy underestimating the heroine and the heroine shows him up. But I hated the guy- he didn't give a damn about her before he found out she was beautiful. Then suddenly he was all like "you lied to me". And in a heartbeat, he proceeded to be all over her like hot cakes and paw at her like some randy drunk on the streets in the middle of the night . I wish he had felt at least a few twinges of attraction for her before he saw her beautiful self. And what's with the "I've lubed up, so it's not rape" thing. Not only does it make me go "duh. you moron, it's still rape!", it also makes me go "uh. is that hygenic? what if it gives her yeast infection? this IS the 1800s and i don't think they monitor such products back then".

I've always heard Catherine Coulter's books are a guilty pleasure and I mean to try out some other ones- like the other Sherbrooke ones. It's just that the library copies are so big! When it comes down checking books out, I end up tossing the Coulter ones away because I already have too much to lug.

Last edited by Mingqi on Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
graceC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make sure you stay away from 'Rosehaven'. There are a few of her other books that involve rape scenes, but Rosehaven takes the cake as a book that features the most horrible male lead character I've read, bar none. I wouldn't even call the lead male character a 'hero'.
willaful

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

graceC wrote:
Just make sure you stay away from 'Rosehaven'. There are a few of her other books that involve rape scenes, but Rosehaven takes the cake as a book that features the most horrible male lead character I've read, bar none. I wouldn't even call the lead male character a 'hero'.

Oh rats, I just got that one. Luckily cheap at a library sale - which is how I've gotten most of her books.

Another truly awful one... I think it's called _the Inheritance_? Very brutal, and once again the "lube as excuse for rape" scenario.
NoirFemme

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

willaful wrote:
graceC wrote:

Oh rats, I just got that one. Luckily cheap at a library sale - which is how I've gotten most of her books.

Another truly awful one... I think it's called _the Inheritance_? Very brutal, and once again the "lube as excuse for rape" scenario.

Laughing Rosehaven was like...the second Coulter I read, so I count it as enjoyable. The hero was absolutely horrible, but somehow I liked it.
xina

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hated Rosehaven, but I read a lot of Coulter in my first year of reading romance. The hero was something new to me and I was horrified at what a complete ass he was. I did enjoy some Coulter though...very much. here are my favorites....The Wild Baron (fun book), The Valentine Legacy, Earth Song, The Heiress Bride. Careful when you pick a historical by her....in my experience the hero can be awful beyond words. I can't remember the book where he had his little jar of cream because the heroine...obviously, wasn't into him...at all, because he was such a jerk. Beware!
graceC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, to be fair, I also enjoyed several of Coulter's books although the only one I can think of right now is "The Sherbrook Twins". The plot is about a girl who's been in love with her neighbor for a long time but the neighbor only sees her as an irritating child who follows him around incessantly, and the love doesn't happen until she's grown into a young woman. It's my favorite plot Smile
PatW

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've enjoyed a few of Coulter's books some years ago although none have remained on my current keeper shelf. A word of warning about some of the "new" releases; as noted in a forward or afterward Coulter has "revised and updated" or "re-written" some of her older works. Unfortunately I can't recall the title of the one I tried - I was very disappointed because I was sucked into the story by the beginning (presumably the new stuff) and then dropped into something that read so much differently it could have been a different author. I'm assuming it was a not so good effort at melding a current style of writing with an older one...
willaful

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I skimmed _Rosehaven_ and it looked like it fell into my "acceptably awful Coulter" catagory, as opposed to my "unbelievably awful Coulter" category. Wink YMMV.
Lily

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like "The Sherbrooke Bride", "The Hellion Bride" and "The Scottish Bride" from the Bride Series.

Also I like very much "Night Fire". It has a different kind of hero from the usual Coulter hero.

My guilty pleasure is "Fire Song". The hero is the ultimate bad boy, and I wouldn't remain married to him if I were the heroine, but the heroine is so special that I like the book because of her.

I like the absurdity of Coulter's dialog and situations. Where else do you have a viscount having to bake bread and make soup? Cat races?

I don't care for her suspense books. I prefer Linda Howard's
Acorn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lily wrote:
Also I like very much "Night Fire". It has a different kind of hero from the usual Coulter hero.

That's my third favorite romance of all time. I sent my copy to Ms. Coulter to be autographed years ago, along with a few others.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: