AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for title and author of a well loved book

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
byn63

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Looking for title and author of a well loved book Reply with quote

Embarassed I hate that I cannot remember the title or author for a book I thoroughly enjoyed reading a few years back. I am hoping other romance novel lovers will remember it and let me know.

The story line:
youngest child is a daughter. her father has waited for her to "mature" before marrying her off. Her nursemade had convinced her she was abnormally formed because she was well endowed and had therefore made her keep her breasts bound.

Girl falls for a fierce looking man (I believe they were Scottish) with a scar across his face that she sees as a "little nick". He was previously married and lost his wife in child birth and was terrified of having any such thing happen again and fights being married. However, the King decrees the marriage.

Girl decides to reveal her "deformity" prior to the wedding and they get caught in bed together. Man insists that he will not get her pregnant and provides crude birth control of vinegar and sponges.

Once she realizes he cannot tell if she has the sponges "in place" she stops using them and gets pregnant. Husband is terrified naturally, but she is a strong girl who sits for some time while in labor not making a sound until others convince her she must retire and bring forth the child.

So, the above is a synopsis of the plot/story line. I remember it as being well written, and the girl was a very special fiesty girl. I remember laughing out loud as I read parts of the story. Anyone recognize it?

I am sure it was a historical romance and I believe it was set in Scotland but it could have been England. The scar on the mans face was described I believe as ghastly or something similar. Publishing dates would have been sometime in the 1990s.

thanks in advance for your help. Very Happy
Jenny

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the second book in a trilogy by Hannah Howell. HH wrote the third book in this trilogy under the name of Anna Jennet.

The book you are looking for is PROMISED PASSION by Hannah Howell - second in the trilogy

Raised among eleven brawny, boisterous brothers, beautiful Islaen MacRoth knew nothing of the tricks a maiden uses to trap a husband. Instead, her desperate father had arranged a match at court -- with a man who had sworn never to wed again.

But from the moment Islaen crept into his darkened bedchamber and innocently bared her charms to his hungry gaze, Ian knew he could not deny her promise of passion. Throbbing with desire, he made her his woman -- but would she ever be the wife of his heart?

AMBER FLAME/ HIS BONNIE BRIDE by hannah Howell is the first in a trilogy

BELOVED ENEMY

Captured in a border raid and held for ransom by the fierce Scottish clansmen who were her ancestral enemies, bewitchingly beautiful Storm Eldon knew her fate only too well. Tavis Maclagan would not harm her-the arrogant knight had given his word on that-but he would stop at nothing to get her into his bed. Undeterred by her fiery temper, he swept her into his strong arms, silenced her sharp tongue with honeyed kisses, raking her to the edge of rapture...and beyond.

There is also a third book which she wrote under another name ANNA JENNET and the title is RECKLESS.

RECKLESS by Anna Jennet aka Hannah Howell - third in a trilogy

NO MAN AND WOMAN HAD EVER HATED SO
FIERCELY ... AND LOVED SO RECKLESSLY...

AILIS... As wild and beautiful as her fiery Scottish heritage, she faced the torment of marriage to a man she despised. Then, without warning, she was kidnapped by her worst enemy...

ALEXANDER... As strong and brutally handsome as he was arrogant, he plotted against her beloved family. Now Ailis was his to use for revenge ... to ravish with his eyes .... to inflame with his touch.

Their hatred was passionate. Their desire was dangerous. Their surrender to a forbidden love was Reckless.

Enjoy.

Jenny Very Happy

Last edited by Jenny on Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total
byn63

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy thanks that is indeed the book; I recognize the description now.

I love to read and sometimes the memory of a book will make me want to re-read special stories. Thank goodness I read fast so I have time to do the rereading!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: