AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Books that are pretty
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gail K.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Books that are pretty Reply with quote

I've been surfing the online sites for upcoming releases and have decided that I need to own the next two Liz Carlyle books because of their tasteful, elegant covers and coloring. The fact that they are part of a trilogy, they sorta match, and their titles are catchy feed into my OCD. Those clever marketers! Hopefully the insides will live up to the outsides.

Who else has coveted books because of their pretty packaging?

-Gail

Last edited by Gail K. on Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Katie (kat)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gail! Very Happy I find myself being attracted to books by their covers as well. The 2 you have posted are very pretty. It's funny, but my favorite authors usually have the least appealing cover art. Laughing I work in a bookstore and I keep looking at Spirited Away by Cindy Miles and wanting to buy it for the cover, lol. I thought Elizabeth Vaughan's Warprize series was visually attractive and they are darn good books! Very Happy I hated the cover of Valdez's Passion and when and if Patience ever comes out I'll probably be cringing at the cover. I'm also kind of embarassed by Ward's BDB covers, but I've still put Lover Awakened in my employee recommends slot. Very Happy
Gail K.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kat,

Textures and other aesthetics get me too. Embossed script, indentations, the soft matte look, shininess! Don't get me started on the academic and old-style hardcovers with their leather trim, etc.

I'm jealous of you working in a bookstore! If I could, I would go around eyeing and touching and feeling books for hours. Guess that makes me a book molester Wink

I like the visual appeal of a lot of the "literary" trade paperbacks but alas, sometimes it is torture to read them.

-Gail
Katie (kat)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you just love the way old books smell. Okay, maybe that's weird, but I do. Embarassed Razz I love old library books. Trust me, you do not want to work in a bookstore. It is not a good place for biblophiles. Crying or Very sad You end up spending your whole paycheck and then some on all the enticing books you come in contact with. Laughing I only work there sporadically to keep my discount.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Books that are pretty Reply with quote

Gail, oh yes, I have bought books for their covers! But usually it's a hunk of male that draws me in. Smile I've also kept a book I really didn't care
for because I loved the cover so much that I couldn't bear to part with it.

Linda
Ereine

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my tastes might be different than the average North American romance reader's, whoever she is, at least I don't usually find romance covers pretty (though those two in the first post aren't too bad). One exception is the UK ubliher Piatkus, who have for example this nice Amanda Quick cover. I prefer covers without naked hunks Smile
I am interested in book covers and have been lucky enough to get the chance to do a few for couple of small publishers, for very non-romane books. I don't think that I could even do a romance novel cover, at least one that would be recognizable as one. I like looking at the covers in book shops and have bought one book based on the cover (Sabriel by Garth Nix, a very nice YA fantasy book with a nice romance), I might buy others if I could afford it.

Last edited by Ereine on Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gail K.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Books that are pretty Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
Gail, oh yes, I have bought books for their covers! But usually it's a hunk of male that draws me in. Smile I've also kept a book I really didn't care
for because I loved the cover so much that I couldn't bear to part with it.

Pretty men on pretty books...What more could a girl ask for?

And Kat, yes, I can clearly see the occupational hazards of working in a bookstore! Addictions must be fed.

-Gail
NoirFemme

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like pretty books like the Liz Carlyle covers. I'm one who likes clinch covers on historicals, but when they're beautifully and tastefully done. Sometimes Avon can go overboard:

But this is tastefully sexy:

What I dislike are the clinches/covers given to their authors who have step-backs. UGH.
cheri

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gail K. wrote:
Hi Kat,

Textures and other aesthetics get me too. Embossed script, indentations, the soft matte look, shininess! Don't get me started on the academic and old-style hardcovers with their leather trim, etc.

I'm jealous of you working in a bookstore! If I could, I would go around eyeing and touching and feeling books for hours. Guess that makes me a book molester Wink

I like the visual appeal of a lot of the "literary" trade paperbacks but alas, sometimes it is torture to read them.

-Gail

Me too. I love libraries and bookstores and if I'm jealous too. If I didn't love my current job, a bookstore or library would be my dream job. cheri
Tee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rarely read historicals these days, but there are a couple of authors whose books I always try. One of them is Ruth Ryan Langan. She wrote one recently whose cover just fascinated me. I don't know exactly why, but everything about it just kept me drawn to it. It's the cover of The Duchess of Fifth Avenue.

Sandlynn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really liked the hard cover art they used on "The Second Coming of Lucy Hatch." I think it was the sassiness of the drawing that drew me in and actually made me pick up the book. Too bad they changed the art for the trade paperback because it really doesn't have the same impact.

ladynaava

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh! Now this is a thread after my own heart! While slightly different than pretty, I created a list on Ammy of *hot* covers (or at least covers I think are hot).

Hot covers

http://tinyurl.com/2529jd

There is also a list of tagged duds:

Ugly covers
http://tinyurl.com/yspubj

Unfortunately, there seems to be more covers I have tagged ugly than HOT. Maybe you should make a pretty cover tag? Very Happy

N
Gail K.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
I rarely read historicals these days, but there are a couple of authors whose books I always try. One of them is Ruth Ryan Langan. She wrote one recently whose cover just fascinated me. I don't know exactly why, but everything about it just kept me drawn to it. It's the cover of The Duchess of Fifth Avenue.

Ooooh, what's not to like? The lady is dressed in a gorgeous gown (nice accessories, too!) and is stepping out of a gorgeous carriage in the middle of 5th avenue. Pretty white-on-white, too. Good choice, Tee!

-Gail
bamagirl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a sucker for book covers. Two of my favorites are the British edition of Lord of Ice by Gaelen Foley and And The He Kissed Her by Laura Lee Guhrke. I would post them here, but I can't figure out how to do it...and I've tried...repeatedly.
Tee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamagirl, when you're in reply mode, there are buttons at the top of your message. The second to the last one is "Img." When you're ready to place your graphic, put your cursor at that spot in the message. Press Img. Then either type in the URL code of that graphic or do a copy and paste, then press Img again. No spaces should be between any of this information. Then you're good to go. Practice a couple of times. You can always delete the message unless someone posts after you.

If you let your cursor hover over the the Img button, it will show an example of how the info should look typed in your message (it appears a couple of lines beneath the buttons).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 1 of 19

Jump to: