AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What changes would you most like to see the next President?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maggie AAR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: What changes would you most like to see the next President? Reply with quote

Leaving off the economy, which everyone wants fixed, what changes would you most like to see the next president bring?

Here are mine:

*Every president since (and including) Carter has promised to end our dependence on foreign oil. I want a president who makes actual inroads on dealing with that problem.

*Health care reform. Even with health insurance many pay thousands for procedures (or tests) etc. to fix their health. I have no solution but I would like to hear one that helps those of us who have insurance pay a bit less and most especially one that helps those who don't have it have at least some.

*I have no problem with war as needed. I have more of a problem with war when not. I would like to see us define "needed" much less liberally. Our troops, imo, should not be involved in other people's civil wars. This has nothing to do with Iraq. I just think that with the exception of Korea it makes for bad policy. It is also just too huge a temptation. Many governments who went in under the guise of "help" stayed as the rule of empire.

Those are the quickies on my wish list. What about everyone else?

maggie b.
LeeB.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I don't think it's the president that matters as much as how he (or she) works with Congress.

I would like to see an end to pork barrel politics but that's never going to happen. Sad

I would like to see more centrists nominated as federal judges.
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd actually really like for us to quit poking our nose into other countries' business. I realize that supposedly we do this to protect our own best interests, but in the long-term it so often seems to bite us on the fanny. Not to mention the fact that it doesn't seem to do our reputation much good at all. I think we have need of our own resources and need to keep our money and attention focused domestically for a while. I'm okay with our continuing to offer support for humanitarian reasons -- AIDS research, or help when a natural disaster devastates another country -- but I think we need to tend to our own house for a while.

I really, really want the government to get out of bed with the car companies and the oil companies. I want the government to insist on exploring and creating new energy solutions. In fact, I think the technology is already there and has been there for decades, but the corrupt relationship among the government, the car companies, and big oil has prevented our taking these energy alternatives mainstream. I want the government to insist on radical changes that will require car companies to produce DRAMATICALLY more fuel-efficient vehicles. There's no reason that our cars should be getting 25 miles to the gallon when the technology is there for cars to be getting 75-100 miles to the gallon. Drilling for more and more oil is NOT a long-term solution.

I want our government to follow the lead of other countries in the world -- Norway, the Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Canada, South Africa -- and legalize same-sex marriage, or at the very least civil unions. I'm not homosexual, but I find it deeply offensive and outrageous that our country denies a certain segment of our citizenry a basic human right which we afford the majority of our population, merely because they happen to love within their own gender.
Kass

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Not a conservative.
2. Not absurdly secretive.
3. Basically the antithesis of this administration would do nicely.

My blog: http://www.thoughts.com/allergywoman/blog
http://www.shelfari.com/o1517440994
Jane G

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see the president appoint judges to create a more progressive Supreme Court.
KarenS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The caring and nurturing of America should be the priority of our next President. Basically, our country and our people have been neglected and we need to focus on rebuilding America. He along with Congress needs to help us out by improving wages, providing educational grants and creating a decent health care system. We also need to take money and place it back in the infrastructure. There are too many crumbling bridges and highways that need our attention. Without a decent infrastructure America will not progress forward.

Wages have taken a hit in this country. Basically, people are earning 40% less than they were seven years ago. Rising prices of everything is hurting most Americans. Most can't keep up with expenses. To have decent wages we need business that looks after its employees and doesn't seem them as a liability. Employees are the greatest asset of any company. Why don't they see it? Health care is needed in this country as most people are literally one illness away from medical bankruptcy. Most companies should embrace health care in this country as this would be one less benefit for them to pay. Improving education for everyone is a win-win situation. Give workers a chance to find new skills so they can work and support their families. As long as we strengthen the middle class in this country, our country will do well. Leave the middle class behind or lose the middle class and we become another third world country. I do see America on the brink. Either we take care of America or we lose everything we have ever stood for.
LizE

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeB. wrote:
Personally I don't think it's the president that matters as much as how he (or she) works with Congress.

I've lost faith in the congress. And I don't know how any president can stand against the military-industrial complex that has hijacked our foreign policy.

KarenS. wrote:
Either we take care of America or we lose everything we have ever stood for.

I think that's already happening, KarenS. As long as we're locked into our two party system, I don't see much hope for this country.

Our current deficit is $10.6 trillion. And yet, from the Associated Press:

"Bowing to President Bush's demands, the House passed a mammoth package for the Pentagon on Wednesday that contains a pay raise for troops, billions of dollars for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and some political protection for lawmakers during a tense election season. The 392-39 vote sent the $612 billion defense authorization bill to the Senate, which was expected to clear it this week."

I'm all for paying the troops fairly, but I'd rather bring them home. Think either of the candidates will agree to that? Somehow I doubt it.
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What changes would I like to see in the new president?

A different party would be nice.

Quote:
I would like to see an end to pork barrel politics but that's never going to happen

Whose pork would you like to eliminate first? Yours or mine? Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> The Wild Wild West Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: