AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Today's Maureen Dowd

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LLB

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Today's Maureen Dowd Reply with quote

Today's NYT is filled with op-ed pieces by columnists I love, like Thomas Friedman and Maureen Dowd. Dowd's piece today was particularly clever...click here if you'd like to read the imaginary conversation between The West Wing's Jed Bartlet and Barak Obama. My favorite segment?

Quote:
...the idea of American exceptionalism doesn’t extend to Americans being exceptional. If you excelled academically and are able to casually use 690 SAT words then you might as well have the press shoot video of you giving the finger to the Statue of Liberty while the Dixie Chicks sing the University of the Taliban fight song. The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it.

Jane G

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed that column. I love the speech Barlett says, about being more angry. It was so true.

Here's another good quote from a NYT column today, this time Nicholas Kristoff...

Quote:
Just imagine for a moment if it were the black candidate in this election, rather than the white candidate, who was born in Central America, was an indifferent churchgoer, had graduated near the bottom of his university class, had dumped his first wife, had regularly displayed an explosive and profane temper, and had referred to the Pakistani-Iraqi border ...

LLB

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Yeah...I saw that Reply with quote

Jane G wrote:
I enjoyed that column. I love the speech Barlett says, about being more angry. It was so true.

Here's another good quote from a NYT column today, this time Nicholas Kristoff...

Quote:
Just imagine for a moment if it were the black candidate in this election, rather than the white candidate, who was born in Central America, was an indifferent churchgoer, had graduated near the bottom of his university class, had dumped his first wife, had regularly displayed an explosive and profane temper, and had referred to the Pakistani-Iraqi border ...

Jane -

I saw that, and there is also an interesting column in this week's Entertainment Weekly, of all places, by Mark Harris, who is one of their media critics. It's very good.
tyakoffs

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LLB and Jane,

As a Canadian following your election, I really found those articles you quoted interesting and informative. Unfortunately, I found the reference to McCain somewhat unclear, because of a lack of knowledge on my part. Could you point me in the right direction. Clearly there is a discussion of McCain's temper in the media that I've missed. The coverage I've seen of the election focuses more on McCain's Vietnam experience and I've seen very little about his personality.

You may be interested in knowing that the rumours of about Obama's not beening a Christain are circulating up here. I've had several rather heated conversations with people who appear convinced that he's muslim.

Thanks,
Shaun
LLB

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Temper, temper Reply with quote

tyakoffs wrote:
LLB and Jane,

As a Canadian following your election, I really found those articles you quoted interesting and informative. Unfortunately, I found the reference to McCain somewhat unclear, because of a lack of knowledge on my part. Could you point me in the right direction. Clearly there is a discussion of McCain's temper in the media that I've missed. The coverage I've seen of the election focuses more on McCain's Vietnam experience and I've seen very little about his personality.

You may be interested in knowing that the rumours of about Obama's not beening a Christain are circulating up here. I've had several rather heated conversations with people who appear convinced that he's muslim.

Thanks,
Shaun

McCain has been viewed as a hothead since the first time he ran for president. There are numerous articles I've read since the 2000 election about it - one in the Washington Post dates back to 1999. What's less well known is his policy on decision-making. He says he makes his decision based on his gut reaction, and if it's wrong, he is willing to live with it. Sounds like deja vu all over again.

As for the Obama/Muslim thing, if you repeat a lie often enough, people begin to believe it's true. That's a page from the Lee Atwater playbook, who was Karl Rove before there was a Karl Rove.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> The Wild Wild West Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: