AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I guess it's all been said?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoirFemme

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Ivory, but I have to be in a certain mood to want to re-read her books. I'm not a fan of Kinsale. I just find way too many holes in her plotting, and the few books I have read have ended so freakin bizarrely, to this day I have no clue what the heck was going on at the end of The Shadow and the Star (the Chinese ninjas or whatever... Question Question Question ). She has an engaging style of writing, but I never connect with the characters and am left scratching my head, wondering if I the book had ended or not.
Skrabs

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I'm a long time lurker who has posted once or twice. I guess the best way of describing why I don't post more often is because it can feel a little intimidating (you guys all seem to know each other fairly well - the best way I can put it is kinda like being the new girlfriend at the family reunion). I'm sure you're all friendly etc. but it feels like breaking into the circle might be a little hard. And that's only my personal take on my situation. Also, I'm not up with blogs and boards much so this is really my first attempt.
As for Ivory - I find her writing interesting but yes, overblown. As an aspiring writer I tend to dog-ear pages where there are certain paragraphs, sentences, scenes that I like and she tends to get a few. As to losing myself - it happens but I tend to just read on and go with it. The first few times I read Dunnett I had half a clue as to what was going on but it gets better each time. The thing I like about Ivory is that she tackles plots or characters in a different way. It's usually very unlike everything else on the market, therefore I'll read it purely for the chance to get away from the paint-by-numbers feel. I may not always like the characters (Submit, urgh!) but I find them drawn very realistically. I guess that even if I don't like a book I can always admire the attempt to create something new.
Kinsale I don't tend to appreciate as much though I loved Flowers from the Storm.
NoirFemme

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Skrabs! Don't feel afraid to jump in: we don't bite. In fact, it is great when new voices chime in, as it gets rather stale listening to the same people over again. Very Happy
Gail K.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Skrabs,

Your points are well taken. Next time you see us being ultra-chummy, just type out "GET A ROOM!" That's what I feel like doing sometimes. :lol:

-Gail
Tee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gail K. wrote:
Next time you see us being ultra-chummy, just type out "GET A ROOM!" That's what I feel like doing sometimes.

Why?
Gail K.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because, according to my own instinctive etiquette of internet posting on message boards, I guess if you have something to say to 1 other poster only (or a whole chain of personal replies not addressed to the topic at hand), you should use the "private message" function. The other board where I also post a lot, about TV/film, has a similar function. Of course, I don't always abide by this principle myself. In fact I violate it quite a bit. So I'm a hypocrite. I freely admit it. Cool
Tee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gail K. wrote:
Of course, I don't always abide by this principle myself. In fact I violate it quite a bit. So I'm a hypocrite. I freely admit it. Cool

Gotcha. When I think about it, I usually stick to what the thread is about. The operative word here is usually. I also believe that after X number of years chatting back and forth on various topics, there is a certain rapport that comes about just because of the familiarity of names. I really don't think there's anything wrong with getting chummy occasionally, as long as it's kept in check. Otherwise, I agree with you, Gail. That's what the private message feature is for. Quite frankly, although I have used the PM option in the past, it's been very, very infrequent. What I have to say is pretty up front.

So, now that we've totally gone OT, it's probably time to return the thread to the original subject (which was?). Laughing
jebe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skrabs wrote:
but it feels like breaking into the circle might be a little hard. And that's only my personal take on my situation.

Yay, Skrabs for joining in! I know exactly how you feel. Back when the old format was around I felt like the kid sister that nobody wanted to talk to Crying or Very sad , I'd comment and it just felt like it echoed w/no responses! Once the new format began, I just jumped in whenever I could and now I feel more welcome. I do think it's intimidating if you've never posted.

Quote:
Also, I'm not up with blogs and boards much so this is really my first attempt.

I don't read blogs either. I'd tell you my opinion of them, but then I think I'd pretty much alienate more people than I care to take on! My dilemma w/commenting regularly is that I'm not as well-read as others. I really only like contemporaries so that really narrows the conversations I can partake in. Every once in a while, I read an historical, usually b/c of some chatter here on the boards, but they're few and far between.
Kerstin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: I guess it's all been said? Reply with quote

dick wrote:
Maybe it's the time of year; September always seems to bring on melancholia of some sort. Just check out country-western music.

Maybe it's the sameness of romance fiction; after all, it's nearly impossible to find something new to get whipped up about when the recipe's so circumscribed. That's never stopped readers from commenting, though--until lately.

I took a long hiatus from posting on the Internet in general and kept a low profile. It wasn't a conscious decision, it just happened. First it started with my disenchantment with the romance genre (I don't read that many romances nowadays and need weeks to finish one) but I was also disenchanted with the sameness of discussions on the Internet in general, the flame wars, the way people boast about themselves, attack each other, try to provoke a reaction at all costs...I notice it not so much here though but on other, less monitored boards.

Besides I generally don't write the kind of posts that people like to read about-I never get many responses, if any (unlike others). I have found out that my communications skills obviously work far better in real life. Which is good probably because having friends you can actually see and talk to is much more satisfying emotionally for me. You cannot make real friends on the Internet-it just is an illusion that you get really connected to people (at least for me it is an illusion, maybe others feel differently about it). People whose voice you really liked drop from the face of Internet and you have no idea what happened to them. But I sort of cared for them-which is frustrating. Let's take you for example, dick. One day, you might stop posting and I never will know why. The Internet is so impersonal. It is more an exchange of information. I still lurk though but I spend much less time on the Internet than I used to and I don't get connected every day. So it is not so much about these boards for me but about the Internet in general. But of course my disinterest in romances add to the dilemma. I tried to switch to historical novels but they always seem to favor the very young heroines. I don't like to read about the trials and tribulations of mere teenagers.

Kerstin
xina

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: I guess it's all been said? Reply with quote

Kerstin wrote:
[

Besides I generally don't write the kind of posts that people like to read about-I never get many responses, if any (unlike others). I have found out that my communications skills obviously work far better in real life. Which is good probably because having friends you can actually see and talk to is much more satisfying emotionally for me.

Kerstin[/quote]

Really? I'm surprised you think that your posts are uninteresting because I think they are thoughtful and informative. I guess I can relate to your feeling that way. I don't always get a response either, but I don't always post to get one and don't expect to. And I too am a better communicator in real life, and I think that's probably true for many people on message boards. I am good at picking up emotions from people when I see them and can read faces and body language. It would be a lonely life for me if I only talked to people online. As for blogs and all, I find women on blogs...at least romance blogs, sometimes come off like little girls on a playground...even though they want to be taken seriously. It's as if making up several versions of a swear word and using bad language while ganging up on posters when they don't agree with a response is going to make the blog more clever and creative. Some of the best blogs don't use those tactics. Ultimately, they come off like 6th grade girls in an exclusive group. I'm not sure men act like that. Lucky them.
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: I guess it's all been said? Reply with quote

Kerstin wrote:

Besides I generally don't write the kind of posts that people like to read about-I never get many responses, if any (unlike others). I have found out that my communications skills obviously work far better in real life. Which is good probably because having friends you can actually see and talk to is much more satisfying emotionally for me. You cannot make real friends on the Internet-it just is an illusion that you get really connected to people (at least for me it is an illusion, maybe others feel differently about it). People whose voice you really liked drop from the face of Internet and you have no idea what happened to them. But I sort of cared for them-which is frustrating. Let's take you for example, dick. One day, you might stop posting and I never will know why. The Internet is so impersonal. It is more an exchange of information. I still lurk though but I spend much less time on the Internet than I used to and I don't get connected every day. So it is not so much about these boards for me but about the Internet in general. But of course my disinterest in romances add to the dilemma. I tried to switch to historical novels but they always seem to favor the very young heroines. I don't like to read about the trials and tribulations of mere teenagers.

Kerstin

Kerstin, it may make you feel a bit better to know that your absence on these boards was noted and even inquired about.

As for the coldness of Internet relationships, I certainly agree that I prefer to interact with live people in 3 dimensions and real time. However, none of my friends read Romances, so if I want to have any discussion whatsoever about one of my favorite reading genres, I must do it online. Somehow, despite the time and distance, I've found that many of those who post here do develop distinct personalities and become quite real to me. I too miss some former posters and wonder what happened to them (sherryfair and Shinjinee come to mind), but over time there have been many new contributors to these boards. Some people think more like me than others and have similar tastes (I definitely agree with you about preferring heroines for whom acne is not a potential issue), but I've learned much from many of all stripes and opinions. So please do not be discouraged and feel free to post whatever and whenever you like.
Gwen G

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, everyone.

Gail K Thanks for remembering me. I'm going through some difficult times in my life at present and have reverted back to lurking as a result. I was happy to see your funny, informative, unique posts were back, though. You always make me laugh! You are never afraid of being yourself. Welcome back.

Kerstin - I'm sure I speak for many when I say I've missed your voice on these boards. I understand feeling unsure of the response your posts are receiving - if anyone is interested or not. I've often felt the same. I'm sure thats a common fear. But after a while it is a matter of having something to say or share and just needing to get it out. No one in my life reads Romance , so for me this site is invaluable, in that it connects me with others who have taken this genre to their hearts, really care about it, think about it seriously and are generous enough to share their ideas with others. I know there is a detachment inherent in this form of Internet Community but there is much that is good here. It is much friendlier and less liable to break out into real nastiness then elsewhere on the Web. Even when we fight with each other - I never really think it is truly malicious. I think back on our "hot and heavy" debates as kind of fun and exciting. Anyway, I want to say that I always enjoyed your thoughtful and intelligent posts.

I just finished "The Price Of Desire" by Jo Goodman. What a well written, solid Romance. I read it primarily because of Dick's enthusiam for it and he was right.

By the way, I am a big fan of Laura Kinsale and Judith Ivory but I found the discussion by those less enthusiastic about their writing fascinating.
dick

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Kerstin! As a prior post stated, many asked where you'd got to while you were away. Good to have you back.
Gail K.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerstin: I've always enjoyed reading your posts and thought they added great value to the AAR community. Especially since your background is so different from many of ours. Please consider adding your perspectives again.

Gwen G: Thank you for your kind words. Embarassed I post to entertain myself, mostly, and am glad when others are amused as well. I hope things stabilize soon in your life.

Susan K: Shinjinee, ohmygosh, what a blast from the past. Yes, she and sherryfair were so smart & articulate! (as were many others).

dick: I think you need to include in your last will & testament that one of your children must take up your AAR posting duties. To please the hundreds of women on this board.
Kerstin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gail K. wrote:

[Susan K: Shinjinee, ohmygosh, what a blast from the past. Yes, she and sherryfair were so smart & articulate! (as were many others).

dick: I think you need to include in your last will & testament that one of your children must take up your AAR posting duties. To please the hundreds of women on this board.

I second the above post. Thanks for all the kind words to all of you. It is soothing to hear that some people missed me. Makes my day. Sometimes my ego needs to be fed and pampered Wink

The tone is a lot friendlier here than elsewhere. I'm still surprised to see how at IMDB for example and other big message boards the smallest things and observations can turn into a nasty flamewar. While a little controversy every now and then can spice up things, mindless hurtling of insults just gets really tiresome very quickly. My impression is that very young bored men and fanatic adolescent fan girls like to stir up the pot and we lack those here. Though sometimes it is funny to see those insults going back and forth, especially those which aim at looks, style and age of people-as if they actually could see who's talking to them. Weird!

Coming back to the original topic, I'm somewhat surprised that so many people seem to share my (current) disinterest in the genre. For to say the truth, I cannot exactly pinpoint why I'm not so keen on romances at the moment. It is not as if all these books were badly written or unoriginal.

Kerstin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: