AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Palin and Banned Books

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jane G

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Palin and Banned Books Reply with quote

I've seen so much conflicting information about this-- I've seen it both confirmed, multiple places, by people who actually lived in Wasilla, and also refuted in multiple places.

The story is that while Palin was mayor, she attempted to ban a number of books from the town library. The librarian refused, and then several months later was fired (though she was reinstated after a lot of public outrage).

What do you think about this story? Is it legit, or more smear tactics?
Cheryl AAR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to a Slate.com article called "Sarah Palin FAQ" (which seems pretty balanced, plenty of good and bad): http://www.slate.com/id/2199362/

The paragraph on the banned books reads:

Quote:
Did she want to ban books from the public library as mayor of Wasilla?

Yes, at least according to John Stein, the town's former mayor. Stein says Palin asked the Wasilla library "how she could go about banning books" with offensive language. It's not clear whether any book was ever banned.

And they give a link to Time magazine which, in part, reads:

Quote:
Stein says that as mayor, Palin continued to inject religious beliefs into her policy at times. "She asked the library how she could go about banning books," he says, because some voters thought they had inappropriate language in them. "The librarian was aghast." That woman, Mary Ellen Baker, couldn't be reached for comment, but news reports from the time show that Palin had threatened to fire Baker for not giving "full support" to the mayor.
Jillian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Palin rumor list Reply with quote

Here is the "go to" site for all the Palin rumors.

http://explorations.chasrmartin.com/2008/09/06/palin-rumors/

They have a direct link to all their sources including the original local newspaper article about her asking the local Librarian
about how she would handle someone requesting a book be banned.

There are currently 71 rumors that have been fact-checked,

I had to laugh out loud at a few of these (ie: # 56 - no, it's not a "beehive").
Tee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to CNN this evening, this report on banned books is completely false. One of those things that spread in an email that has no truth to it.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that some of the books on the list of so called banned books hadn't even been published at the time in question. I think this is fake -- I trust CNN over Time (then again, I trusted them over the Enquirer and look where that got me. . . )

maggie b.
Cora

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find Ms. Palin and her political positions completely unlikeable (not that it's my problem, since I'm not American), but some of the rumours on that list are simply distasteful, e.g. the various rumours about Ms. Palin's youngest child. Besides, one would think that people nowadays should be well enough informed about Down syndrome to know that it's not caused by flying in an airplane while pregnant or other idiocies of that sort.

Besides, there are enough genuinely problematic points about that woman that it's really not necessary to invent false ones. If anything, all those false rumours will only discredit the true ones.
Yulie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, this rumor is for the most part false. Ms. Palin, while mayor, brought up the matter of censorship as a hypothetical question with the town librarian (interesting hypothetical, and I can certainly see why the librarian would consider it cause for concern). Ultimately, nothing was actually censored or banned. The list is just a standard-issue list of books that were banned or challenged at some point in the US. It has nothing to do with her. The conversation took place shortly after her election in 1996, and the list has the first four Harry Potter books on it, all of which were published after that time (Goblet of Fire was not published until 2000).

Jillian wrote:
Here is the "go to" site for all the Palin rumors: http://explorations.chasrmartin.com/2008/09/06/palin-rumors/

I read it too, on Pajamas Media. It's pretty funny, though he's wrong about Piper having been born before Charmed started airing (I'm pathetic).

Cora wrote:
If anything, all those false rumours will only discredit the true ones.

I agree - if I were into conspiracy theories I'm sure I'd have some ideas about who was responsible Very Happy .
Cora

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yulie wrote:
It's pretty funny, though he's wrong about Piper having been born before Charmed started airing (I'm pathetic).

Especially since no girl was ever named Piper before Charmed aired. Such as actress Piper Laurie, who was born in 1932 according to IMDB.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> The Wild Wild West Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: