AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone use Readerware or BookCat?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
texas_nightowl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Anyone use Readerware or BookCat? Reply with quote

I am looking at moving in 6 months and I'm trying to start preparing a little earlier than usual...like now instead of 2 weeks before moving. I know I want to thin out my collection a little bit and I'd like to keep track of what I'm keeping vs. what I am donating/giving away.

I've looked at Shelfari, GoodReads, and Fictiondb and though they each have nice features I'm just not that enthused about them. I'd prefer something that I keep locally on my computer. I thought about setting up my own Access database, but I like the ability of Readerware and BookCat to take an ISBN an download book data for me. In anticipation of this, I just bought a CueCat scanner from ebay and the plan is to scan barcodes as I either box them to keep or box them to give away.

So, any feedback on these products or other similar?
LLB

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone use Readerware or BookCat? Reply with quote

texas_nightowl wrote:
I am looking at moving in 6 months and I'm trying to start preparing a little earlier than usual...like now instead of 2 weeks before moving. I know I want to thin out my collection a little bit and I'd like to keep track of what I'm keeping vs. what I am donating/giving away.

I've looked at Shelfari, GoodReads, and Fictiondb and though they each have nice features I'm just not that enthused about them. I'd prefer something that I keep locally on my computer. I thought about setting up my own Access database, but I like the ability of Readerware and BookCat to take an ISBN an download book data for me. In anticipation of this, I just bought a CueCat scanner from ebay and the plan is to scan barcodes as I either box them to keep or box them to give away.

So, any feedback on these products or other similar?

No, but I'm fascinated by the concept. Please report back once you've used the CueCat!
texas_nightowl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I will. The cuecat is supposed to ship today and not from too far away, so hopefully I will have by this weekend. I guess I will try the trials of both bookcat and readerware and see how it goes!
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Question Reply with quote

So does the Cuecat then upload the data to either Bookcat or Readerware?

Byron is another system that provides information on your desktop and can be updated periodically if you subscribe. However, since I don't have it I don't know if it has the scanning functionality you mention. Perhaps another poster can tell you.
texas_nightowl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susan -

Actually, all the CueCat does is send the barcode to the computer like you were typing the barcode in by keyboard. So then the programs (either BookCat or Readerware) connect to the internet and search and download the book data into the program. The CueCat connects to your computer via USB just like a keyboard or mouse. I hopefully will receive the CueCat today or tomorrow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: