AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Republican Ticket
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: The Republican Ticket Reply with quote

Feel free to create a thread titled, The Democratic Ticket. I just have nothing to say about them at the moment. Sarah Palin, however, is the gift who keeps on giving.

Sarah Palin has been a member of the Alaskan Independence Party in the 1990s, and had attended the state party's convention.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaskan_Independence_Party

According to Wikipedia:
Quote:
The Alaskan Independence Party is a political party in the U.S. state of Alaska. Its best-known policy is its call for a United Nations vote, which they claim should have been offered as an option in the plebiscite on statehood under international law. Ideologically a constitutional foundation, the party also calls for increased Alaskan control of Alaskan land, gun rights, privatization, home schooling, and reduction of governmental intrusion in the private lives of its citizens with adherence to the founding documents of the United States. The party has appeared on the ballot in Alaska in all state elections since 1970.

At other times, party members have also proposed that the state explore the possibility of joining Canada. Other members have expressed opposition to joining Canada in its present form but are open to the possibility of joining an independent Western Canadian state in the event one should be established. Neither of these scenarios form part of the party's current platform.
Kelly B

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She really is the gift that keeps on giving. I also enjoy that one part of the AIP's platform calls for infiltrating the other parties at all levels to push the AIP agenda. Not saying that Palin is doing this, just that there is a lot of baggage. Between this and the trooper investigation, changing statements about the "Bridge to Nowhere" and hiring a lobbying firm to get earmarks for her town, I can't wait to see what's next.

Every day, we just get more evidence of the McCain campaign thinking "Well, women voters are easily manipulated into thinking are that one vagina is the same as the next. Let's go for it.!"
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, truth in advertising, I heard yesterday that the Chairman of this Alaskan Independence Party now says that Sarah Palin was never a member, although it wasn't addressed whether she attended their convention.

A friend sent me the following message from an Alaskan who is a friend of someone with whom she is acquainted. (Okay, that's a bit convoluted.) This Alaskan also submitted it to a comment blog run by the Seattle Times. His signed comment appears on Saturday, August 30, at 12:01 a.m.

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com:80/reader_feedback/public/display.php?id=806&offset=650

Quote:
Good evening, lots of friends and relatives have been asking me (as an Alaskan) what I think of Sarah Palin, our Governor, and new choice for McCain as a VP candidate.

Here it goes:

This pick floored me. Sarah Palin is a nice person. I've met her, I've even talked to her for a few minutes at a principal's conference a couple of years ago. She has lots going for her superficially. She speaks from the heart, like a spitfire mother; she can even be sort of funny sometimes. She is quite beautiful; athletic, and has that radiant glow of someone who actually spends time doing things outside. Unlike many politicians, she has lived a "real life" and done things that few living and working in DC could ever do....like dipnettin' fish, shootin' stuff and eating it out on the tundra, and having' 5 kids.

Personally, I'd never vote for her. She has an extremely simple view of the world. I don't even think she has ever been abroad. As governor she has repeatedly shown us that she is unable to grasp the demands of leadership. She is very prone to cronyism of the worst kind. Every cabinet level political appointment she has made she has over-ridden suggestions of our state advisory boards, and instead promoted those who had granted her direct political favors. Not that other politicians don't do this, they do, but most of them are able to balance their appointments to ensure that at least a few people with real skill and experience are running big state agencies.

She also has been unable to pay attention to her Alaskan constituency. Personally, I've written several of our previous gov's and been asked to comment publicly on education policy. All the previous gov's have always acknowledged that contribution, criticism or comment; sometimes by direct reply, or at least by that of a staff member. Palin's office has been a zone of silence. Not I, nor one person I know commenting has ever gotten any sort of reply. Her claim of running an open or transparent government is totally false; the public simply has no role in her administration.

Her previous claim to fame was being mayor of Wasilla, a growing town about 40 minutes from Anchorage of about 15,000 people. Wasilla is a hellhole, even by Alaskan standards, where there are plenty of hellhole towns and villages. Wasilla is an ugly place that shows a complete absence of planning, design, or sense of public vision. Gov't agencies and services are completely overrun in this town; things are so bad that they can't even track their population or build schools in the right place, because most parts of the town don't require building permits, so the only clue about where people are settling are utility receipts. Imagine trying to be an emergency responder in this kind of place: Houses don't just catch on fire in Wasilla, they burn to the ground, because by the time the fire department has figured out which road to take (no signs) or whose house it is (no directory), the place is done for. Palin was mayor this town for at least 2 terms before being elected gov. a year and a half ago.

Her moral sense is simplistic and not inclusive. She is the sort of person who is used to using their "faith" to divide and isolate minority groups of human beings instead of uniting them. To her credit as Gov. she has kept out of this arena pretty well, but when in comfortable company (i.e. the Matanuska Valley Republican Women's Club), she lets her moral cat out of the bag.
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, brother. The Obama campaign will be lapping this up:

Peggy Noonan, Mike Murphy Caught On Tape Disparaging Palin Choice: "It's Over," "Political Bullshit," "Gimmicky"

Both, here, with transcript at the Huffington Post:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/03/peggy-noonan-mike-murphy_n_123647.html

And on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com:80/watch?v=CrG8w4bb3kg
LLB

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the link... Reply with quote

Sandlynn wrote:
Oh, brother. The Obama campaign will be lapping this up:

Peggy Noonan, Mike Murphy Caught On Tape Disparaging Palin Choice: "It's Over," "Political Bullshit," "Gimmicky"

Both, here, with transcript at the Huffington Post:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/03/peggy-noonan-mike-murphy_n_123647.html

And on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com:80/watch?v=CrG8w4bb3kg

Thanks for the link. I rarely, if ever, agree with Peggy Noonan on politics, but she is a talented writer. It says a lot to me that not everyone on the Republican team has accepted the talking points as the gospel, pardon my pun. And yet, Noonan seems to be talking out of both sides of her mouth today, as evidenced by her WSJ editorial. If I could, I'd ask Noonan, "So, which is it? A transformative choice or total bullshit?"
LisaW

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kelly B wrote:
She really is the gift that keeps on giving. I also enjoy that one part of the AIP's platform calls for infiltrating the other parties at all levels to push the AIP agenda. Not saying that Palin is doing this, just that there is a lot of baggage. Between this and the trooper investigation, changing statements about the "Bridge to Nowhere" and hiring a lobbying firm to get earmarks for her town, I can't wait to see what's next.

Every day, we just get more evidence of the McCain campaign thinking "Well, women voters are easily manipulated into thinking are that one vagina is the same as the next. Let's go for it.!"

Uh, that "trooper investigation" -- would that be where she wanted a trooper, who was a former b-i-l, fired? Anyone bother to check and find out why? Like he used is Tazer on his own 10 year old son?

And, I'm quite sure, the Dems never gave one thought to having Hill as VP candidate but decided having a woman wasn't worth getting Bill again; and I'm sure no mind was given that Obama was definitely going to pull the african american vote.
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LisaW wrote:
Uh, that "trooper investigation" -- would that be where she wanted a trooper, who was a former b-i-l, fired? Anyone bother to check and find out why? Like he used is Tazer on his own 10 year old son?

That's an issue for the law. If he assaulted his son, he should've been arrested and charged legally, through the proper channels. The job situation would've taken care of itself. Why go to this backdoor method of handling him? Surely, if arrested for assault, he would've immediately been put on leave, suspended or even fired.

Quote:
And, I'm quite sure, the Dems never gave one thought to having Hill as VP candidate but decided having a woman wasn't worth getting Bill again; and I'm sure no mind was given that Obama was definitely going to pull the african american vote.

I'm not sure I'm understanding your second point.

As for the first, I was a Hillary Clinton supporter and I would've liked seeing her on the ticket. Biden, actually, was my second choice. But, not choosing Clinton wasn't about not choosing a woman *at all.* It was obviously about not choosing Hillary for whatever reason. Probably to do with some bad blood, but I don't know. You're right that Bill Clinton is like the 800lb. gorilla. If Hillary was chosen, you would've had to deal with him much more and risk being 1) overshadowed and 2) being accused of not looking forward but backward, even if Bill's presidency was so much more successful than either Bush's and is something to be proud of. However, the campaign is no doubt going to use Bill. He is still greatly admired by a lot of Democratic voters. I can't believe the Obama campaign will be as stupid as Gore and run from the ex-Prez, when he can really gin up the base.
tyakoffs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: A non-American question Reply with quote

I've been wondering if the term hockey mom has all of the same meanings in the U.S. as here in Canada. My nephew and brother played hockey and my son played lacrosse so I've spent years at the hockey arena and with hockey parents. In some cases "the hockey mom" was not just involved in her child's life going to early practices ect., but over involved in everyone's life. Shouting at the ref., complaining about the coaches, shouting at the kids and trying to organize everyone else's life as well as commenting on everyone else's kids and parenting. I know that I've moved seats sometimes so as not to be close to 'hockey' moms who drove me crazy.

I'm guessing in the context of the speech that hockey mom means something like soccer mom. Just a good involved parent. I'm wondering if Canadian 'hockey moms' are different from American. By the way the pitbull line has been around for a while. Please don't misunderstand me I think most hockey parents were great, but some are really quite scary.
SH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, but I won't be surprised if the term has the same meanings in the US as well. Afterall, Palin herself said the difference between a hockey mom and a pitbull is lipstick.
xina

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: A non-American question Reply with quote

tyakoffs wrote:
I've been wondering if the term hockey mom has all of the same meanings in the U.S. as here in Canada. My nephew and brother played hockey and my son played lacrosse so I've spent years at the hockey arena and with hockey parents. In some cases "the hockey mom" was not just involved in her child's life going to early practices ect., but over involved in everyone's life. Shouting at the ref., complaining about the coaches, shouting at the kids and trying to organize everyone else's life as well as commenting on everyone else's kids and parenting. I know that I've moved seats sometimes so as not to be close to 'hockey' moms who drove me crazy.

I'm guessing in the context of the speech that hockey mom means something like soccer mom. Just a good involved parent. I'm wondering if Canadian 'hockey moms' are different from American. By the way the pitbull line has been around for a while. Please don't misunderstand me I think most hockey parents were great, but some are really quite scary.

I think over zealous parents in any sport are scary...and that goes for Dads too. So many parents long for that sports scholarship for their kid, and those are just so rare, but parents have that hope and push their kids and become....ridiculous in what they call support. My son played 3 sports in high school and I'd attend most games, just for support. One of his friends/teammates once told my son he wished his mom was like Matt's mom (me), because he could hear his mother screaming throughout the game and what came out of me was an occasional....nice hit, nice play...good job...(whatever). I'm not a screamer and have a quiet voice so yes, those people scared me and I suspect they thought I should show more enthusiasm. Oh well.
As for the term Soccer Mom and all that, that term came out after my son was out of high school and in college. I found it quite offensive, really. I had the picture of the mother who did nothing but drive her mini van around attending games. Hey, my daughter played a couple years of soccer in elementary school, but hated it with a passion. She'd be the first to tell you she's not much of an athlete, but for a couple years...yeah, I was a soccer mom (sitting quietly in the stands just waiting for the game to come to an end so we could go to The Dairy Queen...the most fave part of playing soccer for my daughter...and mine Smile )
LisaW

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: A non-American question Reply with quote

tyakoffs wrote:

The "Hockey Moms" I've known are the ones who make sure they have enough vacations days left during hockey season to drive their kids (and other kids) to games all over. They are the ones who make sure the kids get to practice and away games; find a way to buy the best equipment to both keep their kids safe and make them more competitive; make sure all the kids have appropriate snack and drinks for practice and away. It doesn't mean one of those over reactors. But, then, most here will like your first definition better in this situation.
Margaret

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: A non-American question Reply with quote

Quote:
LisaW wrote... But, then, most here will like your first definition better in this situation.

It was Palin who compared herself to a pitbull...all but the lipstick of course.
Tee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: A non-American question Reply with quote

xina wrote:
...yeah, I was a soccer mom (sitting quietly in the stands just waiting for the game to come to an end so we could go to The Dairy Queen...the most fave part of playing soccer for my daughter...and mine Smile )

Not very pit-bullish of you, xina, was it? Laughing One of my daughters played basketball for a couple of years in high school. I would skip lunch at work and leave early to be at her games, if possible. I just couldn't get into all the hoopin' and hollerin' that some of the mothers did. I felt out of step. But then, that's me, and I was just as happy when she decided to not continue playing and go on to other stuff.
tyakoffs

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: differences between Canada and the U.S. Reply with quote

Quote:
The "Hockey Moms" I've known are the ones who make sure they have enough vacations days left during hockey season to drive their kids (and other kids) to games all over. They are the ones who make sure the kids get to practice and away games; find a way to buy the best equipment to both keep their kids safe and make them more competitive; make sure all the kids have appropriate snack and drinks for practice and away. It doesn't mean one of those over reactors. But, then, most here will like your first definition better in this situation

I've certainly done all that you describe when my son played lacrosse and now that my daughter is really into soccer. Which is played here mostly in the rain, though games are cancelled for snow. Is hockey ias important a kids sport in the U.S. as it has traditionally been here?

There has been a really concern here about parental behaviour particularly but not exclusively around hockey. At the worst it has involved the police being called to games and parents being banned from games. Generalizing is always dangerous, but overally the soccer parents are seen as less competitive and controlling perhaps partly because there is no equivalent to the NHL in soccer or to Wayne Gretzky. In fact the participation rate in minor hockey has declined and there definately seems to be a preference based on cost, time of practices, and perception of the sport towards soccer at least in my community.

That's why Palin's comment struck me as very interesting because it seemed to invoke that over reacting type of parent that I hear some people cite as one of the reasons for putting their kids in soccer as opposed to hocky.

I was actually trying to ask if Palin's comment would be understood differently in the U.S. as social and sports culture may differ between the two countries.

Now I've thought about the issue I have to say that it appears that the term may be a political code in the U.S. that doesn't translate well to our Canadian context. It's actually fascinating in several ways, because while I hear the term soccer mom occasionally or hockey mom, I know other mothers who spend equal time around their children's dance or theatre activities. But I've never heard the term dance mom.

On a different note, it was interesting to hear the CNN reporters talking about "Alaskan" culture. I wondered if the Alaskan's would recognize themselves in the discussion and would be offended by the sterotyping, especially the suggestion that one reporter made that teenage pregnancy might be one of those Alaskan cultural things.

I'm sure our election will not be nearly as interesting as yours. The Republican convention and Palin's speech were the top subject for discussion at work this week.

Thanks
xina

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: A non-American question Reply with quote

Not very pit-bullish of you, xina, was it? Laughing One of my daughters played basketball for a couple of years in high school. I would skip lunch at work and leave early to be at her games, if possible. I just couldn't get into all the hoopin' and hollerin' that some of the mothers did. I felt out of step. But then, that's me, and I was just as happy when she decided to not continue playing and go on to other stuff.[/quote]

LOL..No, not a pitbull in that way Tee. I'm not a screamer...never have been, never will be...although I can be a strong, silent advocate for my children, my loved ones. Anway...with soccer...I became a great fan of the Mocha Blizzard at the DQ. Not sure if they make it anymore but it was made with coffee ice cream, fudge sauce and oreo cookies. That was enough to pile half the team in my Rolling Eyes adorable (not) mini van and take them out for a treat after the game.
On the other side of the coin, my son was very much into baseball and played from kindergarten through college. My daughter had been to so many games (they are 9 years apart) that she asked her soccer coach, when she was in the 1st grade, what inning they were in. Her coach, who was her best friend's father ( a big 6'5" teddy bear of man who was wrapped around every one of those little girl's fingers) said, "Katie, I think you've watched one too many baseball games." Hee...it was funny and very cute.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> The Wild Wild West Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: