AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seems odd to me
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gail K. wrote:
Speaking for the cover thread only, it's length could be related to my single-minded delight in poking fun at the romance genre. And if your male/female theory holds true, dick, I'm about to enter my PMS stage so that thread may lengthen even more, soon!

Please don't stop Gail, I do so enjoy it! Maybe I'm in a permanent state of PMS. *G*

Linda
dick

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PMS, huh? That's certainly a female thing, I reckon. And, hey, whatever helps.
cawm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheri wrote:
I'm with you, dick. I don't get it either. Like Tee, I might check it out once but then that's it. I'd much rather read a thread about one book than that. It pretty much makes me skip the Potpourri boards because it's always the same. cheri

I'm on Dick's side too. After the first week or so I've skipped all of these threads.
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Seems Odd to Me Reply with quote

I enjoy the list of most recent reads because it brings lots of books to my attention. I don't focus on specific grades but whether the comments are positive or negative. The vast majority of AAR reviews are new books (with a few exceptions for older DIKs). This thread is a source of both old and new books that someone else has just read, and many of these books are new to me or else ones I'd forgot. So I appreciate the reminders. While the comments may be brief, they are often longer than the ones on threads about specific books, which may be of the "I loved it" or "I agree with X; I hated it too" variety -- nothing wrong with those, they're just not particularly informative.

As for the covers, I think they're fun. I'd actually like it if people updated the beautiful covers thread too. It's another case of laughing at the bad ones, sighing over the beautiful ones, and seeing how much tastes can differ when someone puts a cover in one category that I think belongs in the other.

As for pet peeves, my interest has somewhat waned since we've covered most of the possibilities, but it's still interesting to see what gets added. Venting is good for the blood pressure.

Last edited by Susan/DC on Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gail K.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Seems Odd to Me Reply with quote

Susan/DC wrote:

I'd actually like it if people updated the beautiful covers thread too

Oh goody! I wasn't sure if people wanted *both* cover threads resurrected but I've been jotting down a few "pretty" covers too from recent trips to bookstores. Browsing is fun again!
Gail K.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dick wrote:
PMS, huh? That's certainly a female thing, I reckon. And, hey, whatever helps.

dick, I think you need to work on recruiting more male romance readers to post on this site so we can truly have a face-off about what is representative of male vs. female propensities. Cuz you and Mark, somehow, don't seem that representative of the average male to me Wink
dick

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to gailk: 'Twould be interesting, no doubt about it. For the most part, the boards slant toward the hen-house rather than the rooster's roost, understandable under the circumstances. However, I've never pushed to be representative of the average---it's so commonplace.
Allyson

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it so amusing when people try to make everything into a male/female issue! Sure, there are differences, but thread popularity on a romance novel board, where all but two or three posters are female? I don't know, it just struck me as funny. Smile

So I've gotta ask, what type of threads on this board would be more 'a male thing'?

As for me, I like all those threads, especially the covers and peeves one. The 'what book did you just read' is more one I'll occasionally check than one I really follow.

It's nice to sometimes see other topics come up, but with a lot of them, once someone's said their piece, there's not a lot more to go on. Unless it turns into a heated debate (which can be fun!) once the regular posters have had their say, the thread tends to float towards the bottom. whereas threads like 'what did you just read' or covers can have new posts all the time from whenever people finish a book or see a hilarious cover. Just makes sense to me!
dick

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to allyson: It is not the threads nor their topics that I thought expressed femaleness, so much as their longevity. Don't you find that women are more interested in the reactions of others than men are? These threads seem to me to demonstrate that interest.
Kayne

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Seems odd to me Reply with quote

dick wrote:
Anybody else puzzled by the extensiveness of the threads about grades, covers, and pet peeves?

I'm truly curious why these threads have remained at the top of the board for so long.

I stuggle with the post, The Most Recent Book You Finished, What do you Grade It. I love hearing what others are reading and their opinions but if I want to know what people are saying about a specific book it is much easier for me to see that in the post title. If I use the search function here to see if anyone has commented on a book I'm interested in (either I read it and would love to discuss it or I'm thinking about reading it). The results of the search show The Most Recent Book You Finished thread and so I have to slog through 40 pages to find what someone thought of a book.

I would prefer to see a new one start each month or something so they aren't so big.
Tee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Seems odd to me Reply with quote

Kayne wrote:
The results of the search show The Most Recent Book You Finished thread and so I have to slog through 40 pages to find what someone thought of a book. I would prefer to see a new one start each month or something so they aren't so big.

That is exactly my complaint. I don't want to go thru all those pages to find the book I thought I remembered someone may have commented on. I think your idea of beginning a new thread each month on books read sounds wonderful. Also, maybe splitting the thread after X number of replies may help.
Schola

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be okay with creating a new thread for every book I want to review. What stops me is the thought that nobody might really care to discuss the majority of them, and given how opinionated I am and how much I read, I'd just be clogging up the boards. Laughing

Another consideration is how hard it is to search the boards for threads dedicated to specific titles, series or authors. I once started a new one on Elizabeth Hoyt's Princes trilogy, not realising that there was already an old one several pages long. So there is a practical reason to have one long thread just for reviews: we know what to check regularly, even if we don't always get what we're really looking for.

It is rare that a specific title stirs up enough discussion in the Ratings/Reviews thread to merit its own "spin-off."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: