AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spanish romances?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Natalie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Spanish romances? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I'm studying Spanish and want to make my learning more interesting by reading something in favorite genre Smile So, I'd appreciate any recommendations of original Spanish romance novels, preferrably with not too difficult language.

Someone mentioned Caridad Bravo Adams, but she seems somewhat old-fashioned to me.

Maybe some YA novels? Years ago, when I was in college and learning German (well, trying to), we read a YA german novel about a Turkish girl in Germany who fell in love with a German teen and how their love had to overcome all sorts of cultural barriers and also his very evil neo nazi brother. That short book was way more interesting and useful (not to mention easier) than Im Westen nichts Neues we had to read later Laughing

Anyway, I'd appreciate any recommendations.

Gracias de antemano Smile
Rosario

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was going to suggest Corin Tellado, as her books are shortish and the language is not complicated, but she's definitely very old-fashioned. Most of her books were written in Franco's Spain, so the characters and gender roles are sometimes quite awful. Still, her books are the romance generations of women in the Spanish-speaking world grew up with, so they might be interesting to you, in a purely anthropological kind of way ;-)

I'm trying to think of YA books, but right now I'm not coming up with anything. I know there are many now, but the genre pretty much didn't exist when I was growing up (and I'm 30, so that wasn't that long ago!). Hmmm... Isabel Allende has written some YA, but those might be a bit hard to read. I think I read somewhere that there's a bit of magical realism there. Don't know your Spanish level, though; it might be fine for you.
Natalie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rosario,

what about romantic mysteries or fantasy? Spanish-speaking countries have a long tradition of good literature, I'm sure there must be some lighter or more entertaining reading?

Quote:

Don't know your Spanish level, though; it might be fine for you.

I guess it's somewhere in the intermediate level. I'm familiar with the grammar system but still need a lot of practice and also work on building vocabulary. But then, there's no better way of building vocabulary than reading, is there?
xina

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to suggest The Shadow of the Wind, but as I'm typing this I seem to remember you read it Natalie, or was that another poster. Anyway, it has a little romance in it and I know it is translated from Spanish.
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try Arturo Pérez Reverte; he writes mysteries and historicals.

I was going to suggest "People en español". It is a great way to absorb the language of popular culture, since it is published each month. The problem with literature is that its language is fixed in the time, even contemporary, in which it is written.

Are you learning Spanish to read literature or to communicate with Spanish-speakers?

Kay
(Retired high school Spanish teacher)
sandilib

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luisa Maria Linares.

I remember her books as funny, with adventure, romance (no sex though). I don't know if or where you can find her books (I read her a loooong time ago), but you might still be able to find her books, as she was well published in the 70's.

Here is an article (in spanish) about her
http://www.telepolis.com/cgi-bin/web/DISTRITODOCVIEW?url=/1004/doc/Biografias/willock@20030426@184923.htm

Anyway, thinking of her books still make me smile. Mind you, I was much younger when I read her, so I might not like them today. But I still recommend that you give her a try, if possible.

Enjoy, and if you find a source for her books, please let me know. Thanks! Razz
Natalie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
I was going to suggest The Shadow of the Wind, but as I'm typing this I seem to remember you read it Natalie, or was that another poster. Anyway, it has a little romance in it and I know it is translated from Spanish.

Yes, it was me and I loved La Sombra del Viento!

The authors has already written a sequel but I think my Spanish is not up to the task yet.
Natalie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KayWebbHarrison wrote:
You could try Arturo Pérez Reverte; he writes mysteries and historicals.

Yes, I know about him. I read most of his books but it was a few years ago so I supposed I could try reading him in Spanish now.

Quote:
I was going to suggest "People en español". It is a great way to absorb the language of popular culture, since it is published each month. The problem with literature is that its language is fixed in the time, even contemporary, in which it is written.

I agree I should learn the common language but I'd also want to read something with more substance. I found a few blogs and podcasts that cover events, traveling, culture & arts of Spain and Latinoamerica so that should help me with exposure to contemporary language.

Quote:
Are you learning Spanish to read literature or to communicate with Spanish-speakers?

Both I guess. Being able to read original text is one of the bonuses that come with learning another language!
Natalie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandilib wrote:
Luisa Maria Linares.

I remember her books as funny, with adventure, romance (no sex though). I don't know if or where you can find her books (I read her a loooong time ago), but you might still be able to find her books, as she was well published in the 70's.

Here is an article (in spanish) about her
http://www.telepolis.com/cgi-bin/web/DISTRITODOCVIEW?url=/1004/doc/Biografias/willock@20030426@184923.htm

Anyway, thinking of her books still make me smile. Mind you, I was much younger when I read her, so I might not like them today. But I still recommend that you give her a try, if possible.

Enjoy, and if you find a source for her books, please let me know. Thanks! Razz

Muchas gracias Sandy :)

Do you remember any particular titles?

Boston public library only has 2 of her books:
Un marido a precio fijo
&
Mi enemigo y yo

The former is for library use only Sad
xina

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The authors has already written a sequel but I think my Spanish is not up to the task yet.[/quote]

A sequel? How exciting! I love this author(s). Any word on when the English version will be released?
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cringe to admit that I am not familiar with most contemporary Spanish and Spanish American romances. You could check the eHarlequin.com site, but I don't know how many are translations from English or romances originally written in Spanish.

However, I just remembered Laura Esquivel. You should definitely try her Como agua para chocolate--¡Es calientísima! You should also see the film based on it. She has written other novels, but that is the only one I have read.

Que disfrutes de la lectura,
Kay
Natalie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:

The authors has already written a sequel but I think my Spanish is not up to the task yet.

A sequel? How exciting! I love this author(s). Any word on when the English version will be released?[/quote]

It's called The Angel's Game (El Juego del Angel) and it's more of a prequel as the events in it happen before Daniel from "The Shadow of the Wind" is born. It's been published a few months ago so I don't think we'll see the English edition before spring '09. If I keep on studying I'll probably be able to read it in Spanish by that time Rolling Eyes
Natalie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KayWebbHarrison wrote:
I cringe to admit that I am not familiar with most contemporary Spanish and Spanish American romances. You could check the eHarlequin.com site, but I don't know how many are translations from English or romances originally written in Spanish.

However, I just remembered Laura Esquivel. You should definitely try her Como agua para chocolate--¡Es calientísima! You should also see the film based on it. She has written other novels, but that is the only one I have read.

Que disfrutes de la lectura,
Kay

I think I saw Like Water for Chocolate a while ago... It's been added to my list. Thank you!
xina

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A sequel? How exciting! I love this author(s). Any word on when the English version will be released?[/quote]

It's called The Angel's Game (El Juego del Angel) and it's more of a prequel as the events in it happen before Daniel from "The Shadow of the Wind" is born. It's been published a few months ago so I don't think we'll see the English edition before spring '09. If I keep on studying I'll probably be able to read it in Spanish by that time Rolling Eyes[/quote]

Well, you'll have to report on it if you do read it!! I loved Shadow Of The Wind and borrowed it out many times over. In fact, I don't know who has my copy right now....hmmmm. someone who hasn't returned it yet. Spring '09 isn't that far off......
Natalie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
A sequel? How exciting! I love this author(s). Any word on when the English version will be released?

It's called The Angel's Game (El Juego del Angel) and it's more of a prequel as the events in it happen before Daniel from "The Shadow of the Wind" is born. It's been published a few months ago so I don't think we'll see the English edition before spring '09. If I keep on studying I'll probably be able to read it in Spanish by that time Rolling Eyes[/quote]

Well, you'll have to report on it if you do read it!! I loved Shadow Of The Wind and borrowed it out many times over. In fact, I don't know who has my copy right now....hmmmm. someone who hasn't returned it yet. Spring '09 isn't that far off......[/quote]

Spring might be too optimistic. According to one of the articles it's tentatively scheduled for summer 2009
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: