AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cosmo's Red Hot Reads

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mingqi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Cosmo's Red Hot Reads Reply with quote

Wondering what other Cosmo readers think of it.

I subscribe to Cosmopolitan and enjoy reading it for the most part (though the a lot of the sex advice seems repetitive) but am pretty uncomfortable with their Red-Hot Reads section. It's usually a selection from a romance or romance/mystery novel but it's always the sex scene. For me, it just narrows down the romance genre to just sex instead of relationship development.

I also wonder if having these snippets in the magazines really produce more readers for the novel.

I know i'm probably making a big deal out of nothing.
JJ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in answer to your question of whether the snippets produce more readers, I credit Cosmo magazine for getting me started reading romance. When I was younger I read mostly fantasy books but I read very quickly and one summer I found myself with almost nothing to read. I remembered one scene from a Cosmo I had bought and ended up getting that book from the library because I had no other ideas on what to read. I didn't even realize it was a romance. I just thought it was general fiction/suspense, but that is how I ended up reading Mr. Perfect by Linda Howard which started my multi-year obsession with romance novels (and Linda Howard).
xina

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Cosmo's Red Hot Reads Reply with quote

[quote="Mingqi"]Wondering what other Cosmo readers think of it.

I also wonder if having these snippets in the magazines really produce more readers for the novel.

I used to read Cosmo, but don't really pick it up anymore. Well, unless I'm in a waiting room, or sitting forever in that chair at a hair salon. Rolling Eyes I think that maybe they can produce more readers of romance. The messanger is Cosmo and the readers know that sex sells. Who knows, someone may pick up the book for the sex scenes and realize that they read a really good novel, complete with a few love scenes. You never know...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: