AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TV Talk, Generally
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: TV Talk, Generally Reply with quote

I didn't want to create a thread for the particular thing I wanted to bring up so I decided to create one that everyone could use for topics not quite rising to the level of continuous conversation....

In other words, one-off TV observations and GUILTY PLEASURES!

YEA!

Okay, here's my guilty TV pleasure that I couldn't quite see rising to "thread level": WIPEOUT!!!!!

I am so very embarrassed to say that I find this "prat fall" - like competition to be irresistably laugh inducing. I'm sure that the insurance this show carries and the waivers these contestants sign must be tome-like. But, I don't care. It's sophomoric. It's three stooges in the 21st century. It's jaw dropping.

For those who have been missing out. Here are a few highlights courtesy of Youtube.

Funny moments ... but how can one choose? They're all funny. In addition, I offer three favorite contestants. (By the way, all of these highlights come from the first half hour of the hour long show, during the preliminary eliminations. The first half is the funniest part. As we get further into the hour, the best contestants are left and their attempts to get through an exceedingly difficult obstacle course gets more serious ... to an extent. Laughing (Okay, it's still somewhat funny.)

Funny Moments:
Funny Moments

"Never Been Kissed" Ariel Tweto
Ariel Tweto

Wipeout: A Love Story, with Ben Kronberg
Ben Kronberg

The Unmanning of Jacob Mann (Go to 6:05 on this video for Jacob.)
Jacob Mann
JanceeSP

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone see those commercials on Fox for the show where people have to jump through huge cutouts? The game is basically a huge wall of foam(?) that has a cutout shape in it, and the contestant has to jump through it without getting stuck or breaking the foam or falling in the water.

Who thinks of this stuff?!?!
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think this rose to the level of a separate thread, but I just had to ask if anyone was following the "Friday Night Lights" episodes on NBC? I don't love the show, but I definitely think it's good TV -- good acting, writing, not too soap opera-y.

Anyway, did anyone watch last night and catch the very short preview for next week? I don't want to spoil anything for anyone who didn't see it, but...

I cannot wait to see how Coach handles finding his daughter in bed with her boyfriend and how Tami reacts to the news.

That preview was one of those types that had me gasping with excitement and anticipation. And I love those types of previews. I felt the same way a few years back, watching "Gilmore Girls", when they showed a preview where Rory said "I love you" to her boyfriend. SO unexpected in the context of the characters of that show who could never seem to say those words to anyone, and I couldn't wait for the following week to see how it played out.

How about you? Any previews of a show you follow that was so juicy they had you greatly anticipating the next episode?
Margaret

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

How about you? Any previews of a show you follow that was so juicy they had you greatly anticipating the next episode?

I used to feel this way when X-Files was on, and BSG, but not so much the last couple of seasons. And add Bones to the I used feel that way list. I love TV, but there are only a few shows I follow. The Amazing Race, Flashpoint, Canada's Next Top Model(eagerly waiting for the new season), Dancing With the Stars, 30 Rock, Big Bang Theory, and Life on Mars (US version, just cancelled).

I have developed a love for TV series released on DVD. Some I fell in love with and can't believe I didn't watch when they were on TV...Veronica Mars (please let the movie rumors be true, altho I'm not a Logan lover), Freaks and Geeks, Eureka, Wonderfalls, Firefly and I've just started watching Arrested Development (what a cheeky show). I'm hoping to get season 1 of 30 Rock...I missed most of it.
cheri

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm heavily into reality shows right now and I don't know why. Everything from The Bravo ones , Millionaire Matchmaker, Top Chef, when it was on, Housewifes of everywhere to American Idol and Survivor. The only one I can think of that I'm not watching is Dancing with the Stars. Anyone have this pull towards watching reality more than anything else? cheri
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the opposite mode right now. I stopped watching American Idol. Once in a while, I will check in on Dancing with the Stars. I will probably watch all of So You Think You Can Dance. Are What Not to Wear and Antiques Roadshow reality shows? At present I want to watch "fiction" or current events--news, commentary, etc.

I go through cycles with my TV viewing, just as I do with my reading.

Kay
Tee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KayWebbHarrison wrote:
I stopped watching American Idol.

Interesting about this year's crop of contestants in American Idol, Kay. If you thought last year's group was good, this one, IMO, is even more talented. I think from now on to the end, it will be difficult to see anyone leave the show. I have my favorites, but they're all great.

Last edited by Tee on Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Retrograde

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment, I'm really enjoying How I Met Your Mother, Desperate Housewives, Dollhouse, The Sarah Connor Chronicles, The Office, and Lost. I'm waiting for Prison Break to come back too, even though I'm over it. It's the last season, so I just want closure at this point.

Some new shows that I think have promise are Kings, Party Down (featuring practically every single Veronica Mars alum--WOO!), and United States of Tara. I need to check out Castle some time too, but I keep forgetting.

As for reality TV (whatever that means nowadays), American Idol and Hell's Kitchen are pretty much it for me. Oh, and the new season of The Apprentice (UK) is starting this week! Can't wait.

Shows I've given up on are Smallville, Heroes, and Supernatural. The quality of writing has deteriorated so badly on these shows, it's unreal. I've stopped watching 30 Rock too, mainly because I never enjoyed it much in the first place. I think it's a decent show, but I guess it wasn't on the same level as a show like The Office IMO.

--Wow, I watch a lot of TV. Laughing No wonder I never get any work done.
Margaret

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Party Down

Retrograde, I think our viewing interests are very different, but I'm looking forward to this one, too. I think it's on tonight.
xina

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheri wrote:
I'm heavily into reality shows right now and I don't know why. Everything from The Bravo ones , Millionaire Matchmaker, Top Chef, when it was on, Housewifes of everywhere to American Idol and Survivor. The only one I can think of that I'm not watching is Dancing with the Stars. Anyone have this pull towards watching reality more than anything else? cheri

cheri, I watch Millionaire Matchmaker too. I don't watch as faithfully as I do American Idol, but I catch it when I can. Some of those guys she tries to match up are, well.....clueless. That one guy with the stripper pole in his house. What An Idiot!!
cheri

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
cheri wrote:

cheri, I watch Millionaire Matchmaker too. I don't watch as faithfully as I do American Idol, but I catch it when I can. Some of those guys she tries to match up are, well.....clueless. That one guy with the stripper pole in his house. What An Idiot!!

This past week was hilarious because he was all talk about wanting someone adventerous and willing to swing Rolling Eyes and then when she fixed him up with that kind of girl he was backtracking. very funny. cheri
jebe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheri wrote:
Anyone have this pull towards watching reality more than anything else? cheri

I'm not watching so much reality right now, other that DWTS and ANTM, but I do notice that Bravo usually has certain shows that are in rotation together. Last time around, I diligently watched The Rachel Zoe Project, Flipping Out and the one w/the young real estate guys. I think I just got hooked on them b/c they were the shows playing during the summer when not much first-run action was on, ya know?

I'm still wondering when Project Runway's coming back, if ever... Rolling Eyes
xina

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebe wrote:

I'm still wondering when Project Runway's coming back, if ever... Rolling Eyes

Me too. I think the show is in litigation between Lifetime and Bravo channels. I saw an interview with Tim Gunn on Leno or somewhere..(can't remember) and the show has already been filmed. They are just waiting to show it on whatever channel wins...apparently. Personally, I would love it stay on the Bravo channel...Lifetime doesn't seem the place for Project Runway...but I'll take whatever I can get!
cheri

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking about reality shows, both AI and Survivor are on Wednesday night due to sports and the president. Aagh, I'm going to be doing a lot of flipping. And PR should really stay on at Bravo, love that show too. cheri
xina

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheri wrote:
[ ,

This past week was hilarious because he was all talk about wanting someone adventerous and willing to swing Rolling Eyes and then when she fixed him up with that kind of girl he was backtracking. very funny. cheri

Wasn't that funny cheri? They found the most wild girl they could find. He wasn't quite as "experienced" as he claimed to be. He almost seemed afraid of her. Was that the 3rd time this guy has been on? How about that hairdresser from Minneapolils that told Patti she shouldn't wear bangs? She wanted to date young guy. Those guys were so much younger than she was. She looked like she could be their mother. She looked like Susan Lucci....and not in a good way. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: