AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seems odd to me
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dick

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Seems odd to me Reply with quote

Is it another one of those things that only females understand?

Anybody else puzzled by the extensiveness of the threads about grades, covers, and pet peeves?

Please enlighten a benighted male who just doesn't understand why one reader would care what grade another reader gives a book, why one's reactions to book covers is of interest, and the idiosyncrasies of likes and dislikes.

I'm truly curious why these threads have remained at the top of the board for so long.

And where did Kerstin go?
sandilib

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anybody else puzzled by the extensiveness of the threads about grades, covers, and pet peeves?

Dick, speaking only for myself, as a female, always willing to help a poor clueless male Wink :

- Grades: I don't know that it is specifically a female thing. Personnally, I like to "hear" what others thought of a particular book, for my own education.
- Covers: humour ! I find those hilarious. And we are poking fun at a genre that we all love. Really, some of those covers are just too much, and don't get me started on the titles !!!
- Pet peeves: mmmmmmm..... I would refer back to "grades", and since you called yourself a "benighted male", maybe I will use another cliché and say that women like to complain??? (Please don't shoot me !!!! It's a joke....)

But it is interesting that you are looking at those threads and thinking "must be a woman thing"..... I never thought of it that way, but then again, me female ............... Razz
LLB

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Grades Reply with quote

Dick -

A major inspiration and influence on AAR's creation was Entertainment Weekly, where grades are assigned for books, music, TV, movies, and theatre. Grades really supply a sort of short-hand for talking about books here. The reason, I suspect, for the topic that reads something like "What would you grade the latest book you read...NEW?" is that it allows anyone who answers to right off the bat indicate whether they loved it, liked it, was indifferent, or hated it. We posted a D- review for me today; anybody who glances at the New Reviews page will automatically see, without even linking to the review, that I really disliked this book. Some may choose not to read the review because they don't like negative reviews; others may choose to read it simply because they like the verve that goes into some of our D reviews. But your question extends far beyond simply our system of assigning grades in that it goes to what readers do. And again, it's simply another form of rating, one that is used far and wide online, from Amazon to Shelfari, and in many mainstream print publications.

I don't think this is at all a female thing; The founders of EW and Amazon were definitely not women. I DO, though, think it is kind of a bookie thing in that it's another form of classification, albeit not objective like the Dewey Decimal System.

Last edited by LLB on Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:43 am; edited 2 times in total
xina

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Seems odd to me Reply with quote

dick wrote:

Please enlighten a benighted male who just doesn't understand why one reader would care what grade another reader gives a book, why one's reactions to book covers is of interest, and the idiosyncrasies of likes and dislikes.

I'm truly curious why these threads have remained at the top of the board for so long.

And where did Kerstin go?

Grading....I hate grading books and find it hard to do so. I would rather say, LOved it, enjoyed most of it, found it quite boring, or couldn't finish it, but most people find the grading system helpful and it seems to be popular.
The cover thing is done for a shot of humor. Personally, I think a good part of the genre suffers from bad covers and to point out the really awful, ridiculous, crazy looking covers is funny. Is it a female thing? Since the board is mostly female, I suppose it is here at AAR. Laughing
jebe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really follow the covers thread too much, but when I do it's amusing fun. As far as grading and pet peeves, I don't really grade books myself, but sometimes I'll put a grade on a read if I want to qualify it somehow. Honestly, I just like to know what my fellow romance readers think of things. Even if I don't always agree, I feel a certain camaraderie hearing others' opinions and gripes.

I can't speak for everyone, but in my everyday life I don't know a lot of romance readers. Whether that's because they're in the closet, so to speak, or they just don't like the genre, I'm not having any meaningful discussions about romance novels in person. Maybe if I had the opportunity to vent in other places I wouldn't find the grades and PP threads so interesting, who knows? But keep posting readers!
Tee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with xina and jebe in their thoughts about grading books. Personally, like xina, I usually say loved, tolerated or hated it (or anything in between) and only give a grade if someone really asked for it. But I can see how it would be helpful to use a grade when a book is being reviewed, because it cuts to the chase very easily.

Initially, I thought the Covers thread was interesting, but I no longer check it. It's been months since I opened it and was surprised that it was resurrected.

Pet Peeves is another one that left the track for me months ago.

Another thread I've almost given up involves the latest book read. Usually, not enough info is given in any of the posts to really tell you about the book. And when more information is requested, it's usually not responded to and there isn't a good give and take on any one book. I much prefer separate threads for books so they can be discussed more thoroughly.
xina

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
I'm with xina and jebe in their thoughts about grading books. Personally, like xina, I usually say loved, tolerated or hated it (or anything in between) and only give a grade if someone really asked for it. But I can see how it would be helpful to use a grade when a book is being reviewed, because it cuts to the chase very easily.

Initially, I thought the Covers thread was interesting, but I no longer check it. It's been months since I opened it and was surprised that it was resurrected.

Pet Peeves is another one that left the track for me months ago.

Another thread I've almost given up involves the latest book read. Usually, not enough info is given in any of the posts to really tell you about the book. And when more information is requested, it's usually not responded to and there isn't a good give and take on any one book. I much prefer separate threads for books so they can be discussed more thoroughly.

Good points Tee. Grading....I've tried to participate in that thread, but always end up giving a book a B grade or a B-. Grading just seems too, pat to me, too carved in stone, because one person's C is another reader's A...or and F might seem like a B to someone else. I notice the A grades on the reviews here, but don't blink an eye as to a C. I read the review to get my ideas as to whether or not I might try the book. I don't pay attention to any reviewer on another website or blog where they use grades.( And sometimes, I think the reviewer has way to much power....D to you author XYZ! So there!) REally, it's a matter of opinion.
The pet peeves...heck, I have so many, it would take forever to list them. I have many issues with the romance genre, but I get around it. I really don't read that thread either.
The covers....they are funny, and let's face it. Those covers will never go away. I find it disconcerting to bring 75% of them to a check-out counter, so laughing at them and making fun of them...I can relate to that. Thank goodness for self-checkout at the library and ordering at Amazon. xina
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grades - I don't generally grade my books but I do have somewhat of an interest in what someone else may grade them - for curiosity's sake. That said, I don't check the grade threads often.

Cover - I love these threads, they are hysterical! A welcome laugh when I check in during the day. I'm not always in the mood for a serious or intense discussion, sometimes it's simply more fun to play. :)

Pet Peeves - it's interesting to see what bothers other readers and to compare my own reactions to theirs. I also think it's a nice outlet for some venting if someone wants to get it off their chest.

I do not see it as a male/female thing, perhaps more a personality thing.

Linda
KarenS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All three are interesting threads that are at least worth taking a look-see just to see what's been posted.

I actually enjoy the book thread cause it's neat to see what everyone is reading or has read and what they think of the book. If it's one I've read it's interesting to know what someone else thought of it. If it's a book I haven't read, then it might motivate me to read it. Sure, there isn't a lot of depth but at least it whets one's appetite. I think I've asked questions that have never been answered. Maybe the poster didn't read my post or didn't want to answer so that's a slight problem with it. However, I am curious as to what everyone's reading so it's like we're checking in.

The Pet Peeves is a delight! Most posters seem to be honest with this thread and it definitely runs the gamut from complaints to compliments and all in between. It's funny and irreverent. The postings are worth reading if not for the entertainment value.

If you like the Covers thread, you get to see some real classy covers--not! Most of these covers I will never see so this thread gives me a chance to view them. Whatever happened to the older books with classy covers? There were some you know! Just beautiful but I think the cheesy covers are funnier and worth commenting on.

So these three threads make my day and I would miss them if they ended.
cheri

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you, dick. I don't get it either. Like Tee, I might check it out once but then that's it. I'd much rather read a thread about one book than that. It pretty much makes me skip the Potpourri boards because it's always the same. cheri
Schola

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Seems odd to me Reply with quote

dick wrote:

+IHS+

It might be a female thing. I don't know. Very Happy Your question reminds me of a male-dominated message board for Action movies I used to frequent. There were quote threads a mile long for several movies, with suggestions of how to use witty quotes from the movies out of context, in real life, with hilarious results. Would you say that is a male thing, Dick? (I joined with gusto, though. The most quotable, hands down, was Aliens. Cool )

Anyway, I'm not puzzled by the length of these threads, being one who adds to them herself. It's because I'm someone who likes squeezing a topic for every last drop and am disappointed when others tire of it too soon--but that's just myself there.
Tee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Seems odd to me Reply with quote

Schola wrote:
Anyway, I'm not puzzled by the length of these threads, being one who adds to them herself. It's because I'm someone who likes squeezing a topic for every last drop and am disappointed when others tire of it too soon--but that's just myself there.

And that's how I feel, too, Schola. Except that the thread that mentions the latest book read doesn't really get into discussion, for the most part. It's one person mentioning a book, giving their thoughts, then it's a done deal. No discussion usually involved, except for the rare few that may elicit an additional response or two. The other threads named, after a time, just become a bit monotonous. But that's me and my opinion. Obviously, others love it and so they continue to bounce back. And so it goes.
Schola

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also less "risk" involved (assuming that this is a female thing and that males are the risk-takers). If you start a new discussion thread, nobody might reply to it. If you add a post to a longer thread, people might ignore it, but at least you're still a member of the party, so to speak.
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally prefer longer, "broader" threads than dozens of threads on one particular item. To me, the latter seems kind of wasteful. That's why, when given the opportunity, I try to broadly define my thread titles so that other board members can use the thread for their examples of similar topics rather than everyone having their own threads which may then have very few responses and clutter up the board. But, that's just my personal preference.
Gail K.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking for the cover thread only, it's length could be related to my single-minded delight in poking fun at the romance genre. And if your male/female theory holds true, dick, I'm about to enter my PMS stage so that thread may lengthen even more, soon!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: