AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your favorite older titles by Nora Roberts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lindareads

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Your favorite older titles by Nora Roberts Reply with quote

I have a lot of catching up to do, not having read Nora Roberts in the past. So far, I've really enjoyed Nothern Lights, the "Born in"series, Carnal Innocence, and I'm now reading Honest Illusions, thanks to someone here who mentioned it. I started Montana Sky, and while I liked the storyline and the characters, I was quite put off by the animal killings. I don't do any kind of animal abuse or killings in my reading.

I'd love to hear your favorites of her older titles. Too much suspense and not enought romance turns me off too. I may be the only one here that is not a huge fan of her JB Robb books, too much blood and gore for me. Just give me a really good story and throw in some romance too. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and opinions.

Linda
melann

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read all of her backlist, but I can make a few suggestions from what I have read. It sounds like you're only interested in her single titles, not the categories she wrote. If you're willing to take a chance on those and don't mind a paranormal element (magic/psychic, not vampire or shape-shifter), I can recommend the Donovan Legacy books. I really haven't read many of the other categories.

From her single titles, Hidden Riches is good. It has the added benefit of being one of her funnier books (IMO), although I don't remember it as being a comedy.

For trilogies, I also recommend the Irish Trilogy (Gallagher family) books: Jewels of the Sun, Tears of the Moon, and Heart of the Sea.
Diana

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the ones Melann listed. Additionally, the Chesapeake series is one of my favorites. I don't know if I'm getting the order right: Rising Tides, Sea Swept, Inner Harbor, and Chesapeake Blue. I also liked the Dream trilogy, although I imagine they might read as dated now. Carnal Innocence, Three Fates, Midnight Bayou, The Villa, and Carolina Moon are singles that are pretty good -- most of those were hardcover releases. Angels Fall is my favorite of her recent books.
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second what Melann and Diana have said, but add in the Born In trilogy (also set in Ireland). Born in Fire, Born in Ice, and Born in Shame (didn't like the third quite as much, but since it featured a great deal of the characters from the first two books, I still liked it).
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True Betrayals is an excellent family "saga" romance; it also features thoroughbred horse breeding, training & racing. The "In the Garden" trilogy has a ghostly element in all three books, but the story of each heroine is excellent: Blue Dahlia, Black Rose, and Red Lily.

Kay
Natalie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed "True Betrayals", "Carnal Innocence", "Carolina Moon", "Hidden Riches" from Nora's backlist.
xina

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two titles....Sea Swept. Love the heroine, Anna Spinelli. She has stayed with me as one of my top favorite heroines in the romance genre. Also, Heart Of Devin MacKade. Hero has loved the heroine for years, even after she married another who turns out to be an abusive husband . Hero is the sheriff who ends up protecting her. Great book.
I don't read this author anymore for various reasons, but these books are gems.
Tinabelle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoy most all of Nora Roberts' books. Some of my favorite older NR tiles are: the Chesapeake Bay series, the Born In series, the Gallaghers of Ardmore (Jewels of the Sun, Tears of the Moon, Heart of the Sea), the In the Garden trilogy (Blue Dahlia, Black Rose, Red Lily,) the Key trilogy (Key of Knowledge, Key of Light, Key of Valor), the Three Sisters Island trilogy, the Stars of Mithra series, Montana Sky, Northern Lights, and Hidden Riches.
Diana

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
Two titles....Sea Swept. Love the heroine, Anna Spinelli. She has stayed with me as one of my top favorite heroines in the romance genre. Also, Heart Of Devin MacKade. Hero has loved the heroine for years, even after she married another who turns out to be an abusive husband . Hero is the sheriff who ends up protecting her. Great book.
I don't read this author anymore for various reasons, but these books are gems.

I don't know if the four McKade books have been reissued, but they sure should be. I loved that series! My copies are very old and tattered and one is signed by Nora. Both the McKade and Chesapeake series are set in the area where Nora lives and her love for the bay and the life and people of the small towns of coastal Maryland shines through. Awkward sentence, but I hope you know what I mean.
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diana, wow to a signed Mckade brother book. I thought I'd seen them in the jumbo (two books combined) releases a few years ago. I just checked Amazon, and the McKade brother books are available in two separate books. One for Devin and Shane, the other for Rafe and Jared.
Acorn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My top favorites are DIVINE EVIL and CARNAL INNOCENCE.
Rosie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For trilogies, I also recommend the Irish Trilogy (Gallagher family) books: Jewels of the Sun, Tears of the Moon, and Heart of the Sea.

I liked that trilogy, too. Tears of the Moon is my favorite Nora Roberts novel, and among my all-time favorite romances.
Kayne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: good noras Reply with quote

Nora books that are older favs of mine:
1)Honest Illusions is magical (1992)
2)Summer Pleasures is a duet with Second Nature (horror writer and celebrity mag writer go camping) and One Summer (photojournalist and Celebrity photographer travel the country together on assignment)(1986).
3)Playing the Odds and Winning Hand are my fav of the McGregor Series from 1985. I really liked the entire series.
4)The Villa was a favorite about 2 wine families but I can't remember much of the story now (2001)
Juliette

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also playing catch up with her books. I've liked all that I've read except Northern Lights and Heaven and Earth (sisters trilogy).

Honest Illusions was my first and it's just amazing, I couldn't believe how good a writer she is. Angels Fall was my second and I'd have to say, so far, it's probably my favorite. I also loved Rivers End & Carolina Moon. I just finished Sea Swept, the first in that series and I'm itching to start the second one, Rising Tides.

An older title, but very good is Carnal Innocence.

I enjoyed the first of the sisters trilogy, Dance on Air, but couldn't stomach the second one, Heaven and Earth. A lot of readers here liked it but I couldn't relate to the female lead.

Also, like you, I'm not in love with the In Death books. I liked the first one, the second I didn't finish by the time it was due back to the library. I'm not a big fan of all the cop shows and that whole craze. I'll probably throw one in now and again in between the historicals and contemporaries because I'm curious to see how Eve and Roarke develop, but, so far, not into the futuristic books so much.
Carac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really liked the older books in the MacGregor series. Also love, love, loved Angels Fall, though it is fairly new. I listened to both AF and Northern Lights on unabridged CD in the car (I commute two hours, roundtrip, each day), and they had a fabulous reader!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: