AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Doctors
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maggie AAR

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Doctors Reply with quote

OK, twice in the last few weeks reading books I've expected a doctor to be a hero and it wasn't him. It got me to thinking about the last time I read a romance with doctor as hero and sadly the best I came up with was "Libby's London Merchant" by Carla Kelly. Fabulous book but I read it three years or so ago.

SO -- aside from the Harlequins, can anyone think of a book with a doctor as the hero?

Thanks,
maggie b.
Retrograde

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently read Pleasure Unbound by Larissa Ione. The hero runs an underground hospital for demons. Other than that, I can't think of anything, sorry.
Yulie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can think of heroines who are doctors - India Selwyn Jones in The Winter Rose, Claire Fraser in the Outlander books, Kelly Ashton in Brockmann's The Unsung Hero and the heroine of Lady of Skye by Patricia Cabot. The only hero I can think of who's a doctor is in Lisa Kleypas's Against All Odds (Where's My Hero anthology). I don't really read enough contemporaries to come up with any doctors - only a veterinarian (Gabe Bonner in SEP's Dream a Little Dream, and he doesn't actually work as a vet in the book).

ETA: I thought of one (which I haven't read) - Erin McCarthy's Houston, We Have a Problem.
AngieMB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hero in Patricia Gaffney's Sweet Everlasting, is a doctor. Also, the novella Christmas Angel by Kat Martin.
cheri

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor's Wife by Cheryl St. John features a very sweet Doctor as a hero. cheri
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Doctors Reply with quote

Carla Kelly has another doctor hero in The Wedding Journey. And while I haven't read them, I get the impression that many of Betty Neels' books have doctor heroes.
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AngieMB wrote:
The hero in Patricia Gaffney's Sweet Everlasting, is a doctor.

Love that book.

Okay, sticking only with hero doctors -- because I can think of a number of heroine doctors -- here are a few not already mentioned:

Historical:
Ashes in the Wind by Kathleen Woodiwiss
A Wild Yearning by Penelope Williamson
I don't know, I'm just guessing here but I also think Kate Bridges' The Surgeon features a doctor hero. Wink (But, it is a Harlequin Historical)

Contemporary:
Houston, We Have a Problem by Erin McCarthy (Both hero and heroine.)

Isn't it interesting, though, how many "heros" (or male leads) continue to be doctors on television -- from daytime to primetime, and yet romances have steered away from doctor-heros. What is the most popular occupation for heros in romance novels?
LeeB.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a Harlequin, but a Silhouette, by Katheleen Korbel. Review here: http://www.likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/bookReview.pl?BookReviewId=3795
Vellorine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't found anyone to beat Alex of Jennifer Crusie's Anyone But You yet Smile
Gail K.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My theory is doctors as heroes can't easily put wife, children front and center in their lives, which is a prerequisite for a HEA. Easier for a billiionaire.

-Gail
cheri

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandlynn wrote:
AngieMB wrote:
The hero in Patricia Gaffney's Sweet Everlasting, is a doctor.

Isn't it interesting, though, how many "heros" (or male leads) continue to be doctors on television -- from daytime to primetime, and yet romances have steered away from doctor-heros. What is the most popular occupation for heros in romance novels?

Heroes have occupations? LOL! Thanks for that I needed a good
laugh(Yes, my week has been that bad!). Does Lord, Rouge, or Rake count? cheri
Maggie AAR

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandlynn wrote:

In historicals of course it is "idle rich". Which bugs me because a Duke should be something like Bewcastle, who manages his wealth and fulfills parliamentary obligations.

In contemps I would say right now it is law enforcement of some kind. Even Roarke seems to get into it now, even though it is not his occupation :-)

So it seems to be detective, FBI, CIA, the dreaded sheriff or deputy et al for the overwhelming majority. Military. Then I would say millionaire. Sports stars. Politicians. Lawyers. Oddly, the people I know that work the most are the handful of millionaires I know. Behind them I would put lawyers and politicians. And big city police definitely work as much as doctors so yeah, it surprises me that docs don't make it in the hero department. But it's not just doctors -- engineers, accountants, dentists (OK, maybe just villain position for dentists!) -- in short, lots of careers aren't represented.

In the event of protecting the heroine, my husband the accountant is both in better physical shape and a better shot than his brother the detective, so I think a character in another one of these professions could indeed be a hero.

I did read one recently with a professor as hero (Garden Spells) so that was nice but I'd love to see some variety in the hero department.

maggie b.
KarenS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The You I Never Knew by Susan Wiggs has a most delicious hero who is a physician. It ranks in my top five favorite romances so it's one I hope you will enjoy.
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KarenS wrote:
The You I Never Knew by Susan Wiggs has a most delicious hero who is a physician. It ranks in my top five favorite romances so it's one I hope you will enjoy.

Wait a minute. It's a long time since I read that book but I thought he was a rancher. He was a doctor?

Quote:
I did read one recently with a professor as hero (Garden Spells) so that was nice but I'd love to see some variety in the hero department.

I always thought a university campus would be an excellent setting for a romance and yet I can't really think of any like that off the top of my head. The coupling possibilities are endless:

professor/student
graduate student/undergrad
two competing researchers/faculty members/students
Dean/confrontational, rebellious faculty member
Visiting, hard-nosed, learn-in-the-real-world lecturer/tenured faculty member who's totally an ivory-tower researcher (which is sort of the plot of the movie "Teacher's Pet," with Clark Gable and Doris Day).
KarenS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandlynn wrote:
KarenS wrote:

Wait a minute. It's a long time since I read that book but I thought he was a rancher. He was a doctor?

When the son is hit in the head by the horse, he is taken to the emergency room and the hero sews him up. The heroine arrives later and talks to the ER nurse thinking how nice she is and finds out later she's the hero's ex. He owns his own ranch but he's also a physician and did bronco busting or something in the beginning of the story. They meet when her son hits his truck. To pay for the damages he ends up working at his ranch and is helping to deliver a foal when he gets hit in the head.

The title is most apt for this story as they really didn't know each other very well. Since they were young they didn't get around to talking about their dreams and desires. He always wanted to be a physician and in spite of many hardships he succeeded.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: