AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Supporting Animal!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tetua5617

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schola wrote:
Does anyone know this title?

I read a Contemporary Romance--probably RomSuspense--several years ago (maybe even ten years ago!) with a cat named Puff. The heroine is an author who dedicates a book to the cat, calling him her "Magic Dragon." .........

I remember that book !!! It's an old Karen Robards. Will try to remember the title.....
tetua5617

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tetua5617 wrote:
Schola wrote:
Does anyone know this title?

I read a Contemporary Romance--probably RomSuspense--several years ago (maybe even ten years ago!) with a cat named Puff. The heroine is an author who dedicates a book to the cat, calling him her "Magic Dragon." .........

I remember that book !!! It's an old Karen Robards. Will try to remember the title.....

I thought the title was Wild Orchids, but after checking Karen Robards' website (yes, I cheated Embarassed ) it turns out that it is Night Magic, published in 1987.
Elaine S

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many (if not most) of Barbara Metzger's books have delightful animal characters who add a great comic touch.
Carla Kelly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: best supporting animals Reply with quote

Without question for me: The Baluchistan Hound from Frederika, by Georgette Heyer.

C Kelly
Mark

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don’t foget Miss Piggy in the Emily Carmichael series (an ugly dog with a transmigrated human soul).
And Metzger’s A Loyal Companion is partially *narrated* by the dog.
MarianneM

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Hairy and Harry Reply with quote

Aside from Hairy, the Chinese Crested in Take a Chance on Me, I think my favorite book animals are Rita Mae BRown's Mrs. Murphy series. In the books, Mrs. Murphy is a cat, belonging to Harry, the heroine of the mystery series by Rita and her own cat Sneaky Pie, whom she rescued from the pound.

This sounds rather 'twee' as the British cousins say, but the books are written well, and have the kind of leisurely pace that Robyn Carr's have. When I want to read something comfortable and well written, I choose a Mrs. Murphy.

MarianneM
Schola

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just read My Sweet Folly by Laura Kinsale. It has some fabulous supporting animals! Very Happy

There's Folly the "homing elephant," Toot the ferret, and Skip and Skipper the dogs. Some of them don't even appear "on stage," as it were, but all of them have significant roles.

I see that none of them made either the Top 10 or the Top 20, but that pets from three other Kinsale novels did! If those books are as good as this one, then I have a great glom ahead of me.
LLB

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Sam's Breed Reply with quote

Sam's Breed, which I just read and reviewed, features a mongrel dog. He's not a scene stealer, but he plays an important part in the story, so I thought I'd mention him.
Yulie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished My Lord and Spymaster and thought Jess's ferret, Kedger, was very entertaining (though often absent). I really like this line: "Kedger started up a long, impassioned aria about the previous evening, full of squeaks and snarls and threats of ferret vendetta." That reads like very accurate pet behavior - I've heard similar monologues from my parents' cats. Very Happy

(If only Rex the hamster let Stephanie Plum feel his wrath on occasion, maybe she'd do something interesting for a change Cool )
kazb0t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just finished Tribute, Nora Roberts newest, and I HAD to add Spock, the hero's weirdly big-headed adorable dog. He chases invisible cats in the yard AND has his own ratty old teddy bear he carts around!
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kazb0t wrote:
I have just finished Tribute, Nora Roberts newest, and I HAD to add Spock, the hero's weirdly big-headed adorable dog. He chases invisible cats in the yard AND has his own ratty old teddy bear he carts around!

Spock was wonderful! A very vivid doggie. And, he does a happy dance.
Schola

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit off on a tangent now . . .

I reread Lisa Kleypas' Scandal in Spring a few days ago. It's full of animals (I've counted a goose, a wild pig, a frog . . . and there's one more that I know I've forgotten), but I don't think there were deep and meaningful ties between the animals and the story. Confused Oh, well . . . I still like the book! Very Happy
Suzanna

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rather liked Coquette the Papillon dog in Jo Beverley's "A lady's secret".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: