AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feedback on Pamela Clare

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
utoeid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Feedback on Pamela Clare Reply with quote

I bought some of her books based on the reader reviews on Amazon and so far...Eeehh. She is not knocking my socks off. Too much detail on toxic waste hazard and the heroine Kara is a tad annoying.

Is anyone a fan? Does her stuff get better?
Kayne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Feedback on Pamela Clare Reply with quote

utoeid wrote:
I bought some of her books based on the reader reviews on Amazon and so far...Eeehh. She is not knocking my socks off. Too much detail on toxic waste hazard and the heroine Kara is a tad annoying.

Is anyone a fan? Does her stuff get better?

I like her historicals, especially the first one, Sweet Release very much. It got an A- review here and is listed as a colonial romance. Readers that like luscious, meaty stories (by meaty I mean with depth-LOL) might enjoy her Colonial Romances.

I was just reading an article on her in the paper last weekend and she has a new colonial romance coming out in November that is a sequal to Surrender.

I think she is still an editor of a newspaper and is interesting to listen to as she talks about her investigative reporting days. I haven't read her suspense books because I normally don't enjoy that genre. I see her suspense books have been reviewed here with a variety of ratings.
cheri

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Kayne, I like her historicals but can't comment on her other books. cheri
jebe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read Hard Evidence sometime last summer and I was a little underwhelmed myself. That book centered around a reporter investigating human trafficking and I definitely do remember a big information dump on the subject of human trafficking in general.

And, while I do find a glut of information annoying when it's presented in such an obvious manner, that wasn't my main problem. I'm a little rusty on the details, however, I remember thinking the heroine was lacking in the Better Judgement department. If I remember correctly, more than once she went out on her own to follow up some shady lead. I'm no seasoned reporter, but I would think even some rookie reporter would make sure they had someone covering their back, especially if they were looking into human trafficking!

I haven't tried Clare since then, but I did find the synopsis of Unlawful Contact interesting. I haven't ruled out reading her again.
xina

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a huge fan of her historicals. If you haven't tired them...do, she is a gifted writer of historical romance. Sweet Release is the first of her historical series. To her contemporaries, I haven't read them all, but I am more of a fan of historical romance rather than contemps, so I feel like I have more of an opinion on her historicals.
athena_d

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Pamela Clare :)

My first book by her was "Surrender", a scottish colonial romance. I agree with many of the readers that her historicals are MUCH better. Surrender is my favorite so far and DIK status. I re-read the book right after I finished it, that was how good it was for me.

I've also read Hard Evidence and Unlawful Contact. I liked them... but I dont LOVE them. They're okay books.

I must admit that her talent does wane in some books but that is expected of all authors. They have their DIKs and they have their stinkers. it's all about your own preference.

Do try her historicals and see what you think of it! Very Happy
utoeid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the feedback. I purchased Surrender to see how it will go.
Trish B

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have really enjoyed her historicals, Surrender and Ride the Fire being my faves, but I'm not wild about her contemps. Her historicals are usually set in the mid 1700's in the American Colonies which is refreshing in and of itself. They have a kind of "Last of the Mohicans" feel about them. Definitely worth checking out.

I've read her first two contemp/suspenses, Extreme Exposure and Hard Evidence and they were just okay to me. EE was not bad, but HE for me read like Shannon McKenna Lite. The hero a pale immitation of McKenna's very tortured, control-freak bad, bad boys. And her cheerleading for "journalists" is kind of puke-inducing at times what with all the "democracy would crumble without us" BS. But that's just me and my extremely jaded and often negative view of today's "journalists". I actually recall hearing good things about her most recent Unlawful Contact but I won't be reading it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: