AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Obsessions! (Or temporary insanities)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Obsessions! (Or temporary insanities) Reply with quote

I don't mean the serious ones, like husbands, lovers, children, and chocolate....

I'm talking about your little, fun obsessions, whether long lasting or a "temporary" fever. For instance, during the time "Lois and Clark," "The West Wing," and "Gilmore Girls" was on TV -- respectively -- I was obsessed. Watching the show, talking about it on "the boards" and making friends that have lasted long passed the show. (Lovely friends.) Or, sudoku! Yes, for a time there, when I had a free moment at work, I would click on the daily "mega sudoku" puzzle on the Washington Post site and get obsessive about finishing it. Printing it out and taking it home on the bus to work on.

(Hope the following link works. And remember, if you are new to this, you might want to start with the "Daily Sudoku" or the "Mini Sudoku". But, I love the Mega one, especially the four star ones which are doable, but hard. The five star ones are very difficult.)

http://www.uclick.com/client/wpc/wpdom/

Spider solitaire? Enough said.

And then there was taping. There was a long period -- when VCRs were king -- that I obsessively taped all the movies I loved -- especially classics -- as well as miniseries and episodes of shows, until I had hundreds of videotapes of everything I ever loved since infancy. Ugh!

Wine ... For a time there, I wanted to learn about wines. I bought books and wine and got tipsy. But that petered out when I was getting sleepy and gaining weight. '-)

Yoga! Not a compulsion but more like a low grade fever. I've taken one class a week for years, but hardly practiced. So, it's not an obsession ... really.

Used bookstores. Browsing in used bookstores and tracking down used book sales at schools, libraries, and churches are an absolute necessity. I learn of a sale and I swear to myself I won't go because of all the books I already have. BUT, I can't help myself and I go anyway. Worse yet, I buy more books! Eeee!

Last edited by Sandlynn on Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Aoife

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yeah. I've got some of those. I prefer to think of them as interesting character quirks rather than obsessions, though.

A few years ago, when I first started weaving, I was obsessed with collecting catalogues and fiber samples from all the major fiber suppliers. One of the companies would periodically buy lots of discontinued yarns, and then send out packets of samples to subscribers. I'd get one of those envelopes in the mail, and no matter how marginal the collection was, I had to order something--and we are not talking about a single skein or cone of yarn, these babies had to be ordered in terms of pounds. Fortunately, the compulsion eventually passed, but not before I had filled an entire linen closet with cones and tubs of yarn. The good news is that if I never buy another bit of yarn I should be able to supply our entire family with table linens and throws well into the next generation.

Aside from the yarn compulsion (and fabric, back when I was quilting) most of my compulsions seem to run along the lines of collecting information, and that is a quirk my husband shares. We have never bought an appliance or car that has not been exhaustively researched, so he is very tolerant of my occasional forays into costuming, or cooking, or whatever.

My most recent "thing" has been the computer game Civilization IV, which is one of the most amazing time-wasters ever invented. My family made the mistake of giving it to me for Christmas, knowing that I had played Civ III for years, and Civ IV is seriously, seriously addictive.
xina

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Aoife"]Oh, yeah. I've got some of those. I prefer to think of them as interesting character quirks rather than obsessions, though.

Exactly! Delightfully quirky is how I would refer to myself. Laughing Sadly, not everyone sees things that way!
Several years ago I used to sew a lot and was quite good at it. I have a few machines and used them all the time. I used to be obsessed with buying beautiful fabic. I have some really lovely alpaca wool and was going to make a coat out of but around that time I lost interest. Life intruded I suppose. I still have all the fabric...lovely silks too. Some beautiful stuff that sits in protective boxes. I suppose now... my obsession is books. I buy too many, take too many from the library. Books that I will never have time to read in my life time. I've been organizing more lately and weeding out a lot to sell or give away. I am trying to control it all because those books take up much needed closet space. I don't know if it's an obsession, but I love my dogs and take good care of them. Also, love to run at least 3 times a week and get antsy if I don't. I don't go far, am not fast, but it makes me feel good. One more...love to buy shoes. I have way too many and give them to my daughter many times. She wears the same size and thinks my closet is like a shoe store. I hope she thinks I'm delightfully quirky too...I don't know. Very Happy That's about it for me. xina

Last edited by xina on Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
bamagirl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm talking about your little, fun obsessions, whether long lasting or a "temporary" fever.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm currently obsessed with my iPod and with iTunes. I love it. I've never considered myself a huge music fan (I enjoy it, but not enough to spend tons and tons of money on it) because I hate to buy CD's for one or two songs. I kinda even think that maybe I'm a little too old for one (an iPod) - I don't know why, just a feeling. I look forward to this little obsession going away. Confused
Lynn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Obsessions Reply with quote

My hobby is needlework, and I've collected materials enough to last several lifetimes. I can justify that, though, because I might live to be 200 and I'll always have things to stitch. Recently, though, I've been obsessed with books about needlework and buying quite regularly. I don't even want to think about what I've spent for these books and for the most part I just enjoy seeing them on the bookshelves. I recently branched out into books on clothing of the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries. I'm putting a stop to that right now, though (or at least very soon!) Wink

Lynn
georgie Lee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: Obsessions Reply with quote

Lynn wrote:
My hobby is needlework, and I've collected materials enough to last several lifetimes. I can justify that, though, because I might live to be 200 and I'll always have things to stitch. Recently, though, I've been obsessed with books about needlework and buying quite regularly. I don't even want to think about what I've spent for these books and for the most part I just enjoy seeing them on the bookshelves. I recently branched out into books on clothing of the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries. I'm putting a stop to that right now, though (or at least very soon!) Wink

Lynn

My sister is really into needlework and crochet. She is an artist and makes very unique art pieces from needlework and crochet. Check out her website www.blalockart.com
www.georgie-lee.com
georgie Lee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamagirl wrote:
Quote:
I'm talking about your little, fun obsessions, whether long lasting or a "temporary" fever.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm currently obsessed with my iPod and with iTunes. I love it. I've never considered myself a huge music fan (I enjoy it, but not enough to spend tons and tons of money on it) because I hate to buy CD's for one or two songs. I kinda even think that maybe I'm a little too old for one (an iPod) - I don't know why, just a feeling. I look forward to this little obsession going away. Confused

I've been very into itunes lately too. I like the ability to buy one song at a time and being able to search for old song titles by typing lyrics into Google. What did we do before the internet when we heard a song on the radio and we didn't know the artist?
www.georgie-lee.com
bamagirl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've been very into itunes lately too. I like the ability to buy one song at a time and being able to search for old song titles by typing lyrics into Google. What did we do before the internet when we heard a song on the radio and we didn't know the artist?

HeHe...I don't know, but it's addictive. Youtube is almost the same way for me. I visit both sites when I should really be doing something more productive like work. Wink
kris

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sudoku and my ipod are my current obsessions. I'm planning on getting a bigger and better ipod(haven't decided which one). Oh yeah, does lusting after Sean Bean and Richard Armitage count as an obsession? Laughing
LizE

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Guitar Hero? Now THAT'S embarrassing ... and my current obsession.
georgie Lee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LizE wrote:
How about Guitar Hero? Now THAT'S embarrassing ... and my current obsession.

You're not alone. When my husband first got his PS2, we spent a whole weekend indoors playing SSX, the snowboarding game.
www.georgie-lee.com
cheri

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Books
Herbal medicine (I think this is left over from a past live)
books
my new Palm tx
books Very Happy
walking my dog and my pedometer (it used to be Yoga nad I've been rethinking this one because it made me feel great and I think the gym up the road has new classes, so this may go back on obsession list)
Keith Urban Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
cheri
LizE

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When my husband first got his PS2, we spent a whole weekend indoors playing SSX, the snowboarding game.

Georgie, that is the only other PS2 game that ever enthralled me, long past the point where my son mastered it and moved on. Hmm, maybe I'll see if I can find it again...
Lynn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Obsessions Reply with quote

Georgie, your sister's work is amazing, thanks for sharing the link. I particularly love the shadow pieces.....just fascinating!

Lynn

Lynn[/quote]

My sister is really into needlework and crochet. She is an artist and makes very unique art pieces from needlework and crochet. Check out her website www.blalockart.com[/quote]
Nicole

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knitting. I knit a lot. I have like six unfinished projects and I'm always looking for cheap yarn.

Thrift stores. I furnished my whole apartment for $300 and it doesn't look bad either.

Books. Yeah I spend most of my leisure time, reading or looking for my next one.

I LOVE guitar hero. I can do scissor kicks with out missing a note.

I used to be pretty crazy about the old school super Nintendo games. I still play with them every now and then. Tetris. I can do it for hours.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: