AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1001 Romance Novels . . .
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: 1001 Romance Novels . . . Reply with quote

I don't know how many AAR regulars read the Romantic Times message boards, but there is a project over there to compile a list of the "1001 Romance Novels to read before you die . . ." It was inspired by a blog about a 2006 book called 1001 Books to read before you die (or something like that). Many posters were so unhappy with the books listed that some decided to solicit nominees for a romance list, one book per post, not lists.

If you want to add your favorites, go here:

http://romantictimes.com/

Click on "From the Message Boards"; click on "Readers' Roundtable"; click on thread "1001 Romance Novels . . ." You may have to register in order to post.

I'm using my AAR 100 Top Romances as of 2007 as my starting point. Note the compiled list is NOT ranked.

Kay
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh, Patricia Gaffney and Marsha Moyer aren't on it. Neither is Anya Seton's Katherine.

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand!? That's a romance?!
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandlynn wrote:
Huh, Patricia Gaffney and Marsha Moyer aren't on it. Neither is Anya Seton's Katherine.

If you don't see a book you think should be there, please add it, or as many as you want. 1001 is a lot of books. I think that the idea is to include all posters suggestions; then discuss "appropriateness" of the choices later.

Kay
Lucia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be a nattering nabob of negativity here, but zounds! A 1001 romance novels to read before we shuffle off? Sounds hopelessly optimistic to me.
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am pretty sure that I have already read close to that number. I spent many hours entering the books I have read on my Fiction DataBase Archives.

Someone listed the 1001 books from the 2006 compilation. I, voracious reader that I am, couldn't even claim to have read 100 of them. The Romance Novel list was reader generated as a challenge to the books that are on that first list, of which the RT posters had read relatively few.

Kay
LeeB.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandlynn wrote:

Well, the heroine does have three affairs throughout the story. Wink

But you're right; I'm surprised it made the list.
NoirFemme

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeB. wrote:
Sandlynn wrote:

*gasp* The romance between Dagny and Hank is smoking hot. Sure, you have to wade through Rand's objectivist philosophy to get to it, but the romance is really good.
Schola

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet she dumps Hank for John, doesn't she?

I personally preferred Francisco, the one she loved when she was young.

Those three affairs just freaked me out, though. I remember the scene when Dagny, Hank and Francisco are in Dagny's apartment (or some other place) and Hank finds out for the first time that Francisco and Dagny slept together in the past. He punches Francisco, who struggles not to hit him back; and as soon as his rival leaves, he has possessive alpha sex with Dagny. Rolling Eyes I still recall this because it's told from Dagny's point of view and says that she feels she is somehow surrendering to both men during sex with Hank.

That just really turned me off. Lusting after an ex-boyfriend while having sex witht he current boyfriend. I hope she never had those thoughts with John! :evil:

ETA: Atlas Shrugged made it but The Fountainhead didn't? I know that Dominique also has three different husbands, but she clearly loves only Roark.
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schola wrote:

ETA: Atlas Shrugged made it but The Fountainhead didn't? I know that Dominique also has three different husbands, but she clearly loves only Roark.

Again, if you feel that a book should be on the RT list, please add it.

Kay
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Well, I registered to that board just to do that. My main romance posting is here, though.

But, it's not so much my favorites -- although certainly those I post, I like -- but to fill in obvious gaps and to offer authors who have fallen by the wayside, but who have contributed some good books in the past.

I still have at least six I'd like to add but I don't want to hog things up.
LeeB.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoirFemme wrote:
LeeB. wrote:
Sandlynn wrote:

*gasp* The romance between Dagny and Hank is smoking hot. Sure, you have to wade through Rand's objectivist philosophy to get to it, but the romance is really good.

You know the 20-30 page speech John Galt made near the end of the book? I've skipped it both times I've read the book. Embarassed

Schola wrote:
I still recall this because it's told from Dagny's point of view and says that she feels she is somehow surrendering to both men during sex with Hank.

That just really turned me off. Lusting after an ex-boyfriend while having sex witht he current boyfriend. I hope she never had those thoughts with John! Evil or Very Mad

Laughing Laughing Laughing
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandlynn wrote:
Quote:

But, it's not so much my favorites -- although certainly those I post, I like -- but to fill in obvious gaps and to offer authors who have fallen by the wayside, but who have contributed some good books in the past.

I have the impression that a good number of posters are new to romance and/or are fairly young. They may not know about great authors from our past. I think that those who started the list want as many readers as possible to contribute suggestions that will result in 1001 Romance Novels that will truly encompass all that is the romance genre.

I am trying to add my choices only after at least one other person has posted, but it is hard to wait my turn.

Kay
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am trying to add my choices only after at least one other person has posted, but it is hard to wait my turn.

I thought that was a rule but then I saw other people making multiple posts and decided to go ahead. I had a list of books scribbled down and was getting impatient to get it posted so that I could move on.
Schola

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KayWebbHarrison wrote:
Schola wrote:

Again, if you feel that a book should be on the RT list, please add it.

Kay

I was just surprised that Atlas Shrugged was mentioned while The Fountainhead, which has more romantic ground to stand on, apparently was not. I wouldn't recommend either of them, though.

One book I may just go over and add to the list is Jack Finney's Time and Again. The romance takes a backseat to the time travel mystery, but it lingers over the whole story like the scent of flowers wafting in from the next room.
Jenny

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandlynn wrote:

I haven't read ATLAS SHRUGGED by Ayn Rand. Would you please explain why you wouldn't include it on the list?

Jenny
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: