AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any recs for free email accounts?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyl

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Any recs for free email accounts? Reply with quote

Do any of you use a free email account? If so, do you mind sharing who and why?

I need a new account and don't know what services are available, plus it's good to know what works for others and why. For instance, I have/had a Yahoo account but the spam is terrible. I have the filter on, but a ton of spam gets through anyway.

Any advice you can give is welcomed.
Schola

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+IHS+

My favourite is Gmail. I like how messages are organised into conversations, so that I see my original message, the replies to it, and my replies to those all grouped together. I also like the search engine, which lets me search all saved messages for a single word.

However, I do miss the way I could organise my messages into folders, the way I did with my old Yahoo account. (Well, it's actually still active; but I only use it for the messenger on Beta these days.) Everything is just clumped together and I think I'm a trifle more disorganised because of that.

(In fairness, I haven't bothered to figure out what Gmail's new "archiving" feature is. It may be the same thing as those Yahoo Mail folders.)
Rosario

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love gmail as well. The conversation view and the extremely easy-to-use search capabilities Schola mentions are two of the reasons, and I also love that you get a ton of space (almost 7 GB at last count... and it keeps growing. No need to delete anything). Not to mention having the little instant messaging window right there without having to open Messenger or AIM (very distracting, but you can always sign out of the chat). Oh, and I get very little spam, and 99.9% of what I do get is automatically filtered into the Spam folder.

Re: folders: the way I understand it, gmail uses labels to serve the same purpose that folders do in other email accounts. You just "tag" the email in question with a certain label, and then by clicking that label in the label list you see all the messages tagged in the same way. Just as if you'd moved them to a folder and were looking inside that folder.

The advantage is that you can actually tag a message with more than one label, so in effect, it's in several "folders" at the same time. This combines with the search engine in that you can easily search only among messages tagged in a certain way (even, for instance, among messages tagged "X" and "Y" at the same time, should you wish).

I don't use archiving, but I think it's basically just to clear messages out of your inbox. You then would need to click on All Mail to see them.
Tacilija

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Yahoo and Hotmail accounts, but I use Gmail as my primary email account, precisely for the reasons others already stated Smile
Tee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of Yahoo email accounts, but only to use when I'm accessing some sites where I don't want my primary email address used. For instance, at Photobucket and sites such as those. Otherwise, I use my cable provider's email address and access it through Outlook Express.

I've never used AOL, but I've heard horror stories from people who have accounts there. I don't know exactly why, but those that use AOL appear to have more difficulties on a somewhat consistent basis. Thanks for the tips on Gmail. I'm going to look into that one as an on-the-side one.
LLB

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Gmail minority Reply with quote

I'm in a minority when it comes to gmail. Although I use it as my primary download email account using Outlook, when it comes to gmail as webmail, it confuses the hell out of me. And a bigger problem is one that I think they've only begun to deal with; until very, very recently, you couldn't copy yourself on email. That seems to have been resolved, but not where googlegroups mail is concerned. AAR's internal email loop is run through googlegroups, and the emails *I* send through the loop are ones that don't arrive in my in-box. It's disconcerting, to say the least.
LeeB.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have email accounts at Comcast, Yahoo and HotMail, but Yahoo is my primary account.

I've used Gmail but it's very complicated, especially when you want to make folders.
Cyl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. I've never seen or used gmail, so I'll check it out.
Schola

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyl, I don't know if this is still the case, but when I started using Gmail, I first had to be "invited" by another Gmail user. If it's still so, let me know and I can send you an invite. Smile
Cyl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Schola. I'm travelling right now, so it may be a few days before I get to check it out.
Yulie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Invites were required to sign up for Gmail for the first year or two. They are no longer needed, you can just go to the website and sign up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: