AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shadow Music by Garwood

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terese

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Shadow Music by Garwood Reply with quote

I know this has been discussed alreeady, but the thread is too far downfor me to locate so I'm startign fresh.

I read this at last just last night. Julie Garwood's historicals are fun for me. I like the strong masculin heroes who think they have neither the time nor the inclination for love, and the sweet heroines who bring them to their knees. Normally a stickler for historical accuracy, I toss all my nitpicks away when I open a Garwood. In the last year I re-read the Bride, the Secret, Saving Grace and Ransom and found them all very enjoyable. Garwood is still my favorite comfort read.

So why didn't I like this one? It fell flat for me. The treasure was simply too obvious. We didn't get to know the heroine until chpater 6. I found myself simply not caring. The story could nave ended a lot sooner. Too many mini-climaxes.

SPOILERS

For heaven sake, why did Gabrielle think it was necessary to keep it a secret that she was the one to find and help Liam? So that her reputation could be smeared? For the frist time when reading this author it bothered me immensely that Gabrielle was portrayed as being "banished" and shamed like that. And I NEVER care about historical accuracy in a Garwood. In reality, a highborn wealthy heiress may have been shamed but she would have been too valuable to throw away like that. It just jarred me enough to make me think outside of the story instead of going with it. I'm glad I got this one from the library.

I liked Liam's charm. Maybe a book about him would be fun. Just because Garwood wrote one medieval that I thoguht was a dud doens't mean that her next one will be. At the beginning Ithought Ransom was going to be a dud but i ended up enjoying it. I have hopes for the next historical from Garwood.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: