AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Other Boleyn Girl...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kspears

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: The Other Boleyn Girl... Reply with quote

Just watched The Other Boleyn Girl on DVD over the weekend and I have to ask...What was that? I read the book that the movie was supposedly based upon. I enjoyed the book and found Philippa Gregory's take on the Boleyn sisters interesting, although I don't aggree with it. But, did I miss something? What was the movie based upon, I think the only thing that made it's way to the movie intact was the title.
xina

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen it, but intend to one of these days. When I first heard there would be a movie, I was excited because I loved, loved the book. However, I saw an interview with Natalie Portman on Letterman, and she stated that the movie was mostly about the competition between the 2 sisters...and the sex. I was tipped off with that statement because I thought that is not what the book represented to me. To me, it was about Anne and her Mary digging themselves deeper and deeper into Henry's sort of twisted idea of a love affair...then finding themselves in trouble, and that does not sound at all what I've heard of the movie.
kspears

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's been a long time since I read the book and I remember all of the intrigue and none of that was in the movie. George Boleyn was hardly in the movie and if I remember the book correctly, he played an enormous part in it. And Eric Bana (loved him in Munich) was no Henry VIII. My recommendation, if you want to see a movie about Henry the VIII and his wives, stick with the really old one from Masterpiece theater starring Keith Mitchell. Sure the sets are sparse, but the story is good and Keith Mitchell makes a better Henry VIII then Eric Bana or Jonathan Rhys Meyers. Also, Mary Boleyn had two children while she was married to her first husband, the first child was a girl, in the movie it's a boy (I don't remember what it was in the book). It's rumored that both of these children were Henry's, which means that their affair would have had to have lasted a couple of years.

Also, Mary Boleyn's daughter Catherine Carey (had 15 children) was the mother of Lettice Knollys and Lettice Knollys gave Elizabeth I all kinds of headaches. Lettice married Elizabeth's favourite Robert Dudley and was the mother of Robert Devereux. History is so interesting without rewrites.
xina

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kspears wrote:
Well, it's been a long time since I read the book and I remember all of the intrigue and none of that was in the movie. George Boleyn was hardly in the movie and if I remember the book correctly, he played an enormous part in it. And Eric Bana (loved him in Munich) was no Henry VIII. My recommendation, if you want to see a movie about Henry the VIII and his wives, stick with the really old one from Masterpiece theater starring Keith Mitchell. Sure the sets are sparse, but the story is good and Keith Mitchell makes a better Henry VIII then Eric Bana or Jonathan Rhys Meyers. Also, Mary Boleyn had two children while she was married to her first husband, the first child was a girl, in the movie it's a boy (I don't remember what it was in the book). It's rumored that both of these children were Henry's, which means that their affair would have had to have lasted a couple of years.

Also, Mary Boleyn's daughter Catherine Carey (had 15 children) was the mother of Lettice Knollys and Lettice Knollys gave Elizabeth I all kinds of headaches. Lettice married Elizabeth's favourite Robert Dudley and was the mother of Robert Devereux. History is so interesting without rewrites.

I like the Richard Burton/ Genevieve Bujold...Anne Of A THousand Days, but that movie makes Anne the victim and not schemer. Phillipa Gregory had a different take on it and almost pointed at the incest as being real. It's odd that George wasn't in the movie much because I thought that was an eye-opener, or at least different than the usual take on Anne Boleyn. Interesting about Lettice. Now that you mention it, I do remember her marriage to Robert Dudley.
kspears

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Richard Burton/Genevieve Bujold one also. You know what I think is interesting about the whole thing, is what must they (Anne and Henry) really have been like. Since we don't really know her exact date of birth, she was either 18 or 24 when a much older Henry became so enamored with her that he just had to have her, divorce/annulled his first wife, made other countries his enemy, changed the religion of Great Britain, and killed a number of his friends and enemies. What does that say about them?

And on Lettice Knollys (another interesting woman) there is an old historical fiction book about her by Victoria Holt "My Enemy the Queen" that I remember reading years and years ago that I really liked.
LeeB.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best things about The Other Boleyn Girl movie were the scenery and the costumes. How did they think they could condense a huge book into two hours is beyond me.

Eric Bana was awful. Scarlett Johansson was pretty good but I don't think Natalie Portman had it in her to play Anne Boleyn. That part was way over her head.
Jane G

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read the book, but for me, the movie was ruined by the fact that I'd been watched most of the first season of The Tudors. That show just went so much more in depth on certain issues that the movie skimmed over, or completely ignored, and just generally wasn't as good.
LeeB.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jane G wrote:
I haven't read the book, but for me, the movie was ruined by the fact that I'd been watched most of the first season of The Tudors. That show just went so much more in depth on certain issues that the movie skimmed over, or completely ignored, and just generally wasn't as good.

Jane: You hit the nail on the head for me. I've seen both seasons of The Tudors. It covered most of the same story in the movie. So, 20 episodes of about 50 minutes each vs. a 2 hour movie really explains why the film was not very well done.
xina

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeB. wrote:
Jane G wrote:

Jane: You hit the nail on the head for me. I've seen both seasons of The Tudors. It covered most of the same story in the movie. So, 20 episodes of about 50 minutes each vs. a 2 hour movie really explains why the film was not very well done.

I haven't seen any of The Tudors or the movie...The Other Boleyn Girl, but I have read the Phillipa Gregory book. Greogory's version of Anne and her sister is just that...her version. She really pushes the incest between Anne and her brother and also, her version is somewhat twisted at times, so maybe that is why the TV version and movie version tend not to resemble each other. I think it may be like comparing apples and oranges.
LeeB.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
I haven't seen any of The Tudors or the movie...The Other Boleyn Girl, but I have read the Phillipa Gregory book. Greogory's version of Anne and her sister is just that...her version. She really pushes the incest between Anne and her brother and also, her version is somewhat twisted at times, so maybe that is why the TV version and movie version tend not to resemble each other. I think it may be like comparing apples and oranges.

xina: The incest issue in the BBC version and movie weren't a huge part of the story, at least in my opinion. But it's interesting to note that Ms. Gregory "pushed" it in her book.
xina

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeB. wrote:
xina wrote:

xina: The incest issue in the BBC version and movie weren't a huge part of the story, at least in my opinion. But it's interesting to note that Ms. Gregory "pushed" it in her book.

Lee, I'm not an historical expert but I always thought that Henry made that trumped-up charge against Anne to get rid of her. I was fairly surprised when Gregory took it and ran with it in her book. Also, she made Anne far more conniving than any movie or book version. I always felt sorry for poor Anne and in this book I didn't like her very much at all let alone feel sorry for her.
Amairwyn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched The Other Boleyn Girl and didn't like it. I haven't read the book yet, since I didn't really like the last of Philippa Gregory's books I read, and the movie certainly didn't encourage me to do so. Confused

And I too thought that the incest charge was made up against Anne, along with the adultery charges also, just because Henry wanted to get rid of her.

Also, Anne is one of my favorite historical heroines, so the way she was portrayed probably has to do with my dislike of the movie. Laughing I see her as a strong-willed women who knew what she wanted.
To flee from my ivory tower"

Enter- Within Temptation
xina

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amairwyn wrote:
I watched The Other Boleyn Girl and didn't like it. I haven't read the book yet, since I didn't really like the last of Philippa Gregory's books I read, and the movie certainly didn't encourage me to do so. Confused

And I too thought that the incest charge was made up against Anne, along with the adultery charges also, just because Henry wanted to get rid of her.

Also, Anne is one of my favorite historical heroines, so the way she was portrayed probably has to do with my dislike of the movie. Laughing I see her as a strong-willed women who knew what she wanted.

I haven't seen the movie, but enjoyed the book. From what I've heard though, I take it that the book is better. However, if you don't like Gregory's style, you may not like the book. The author wrote her own interpretation of Anne and Henry. Personally, my favorite movie on this subject is still Anne of a Thousand Days with Richard Burton (seems more like Henry) and Genevieve Bujold. I did like Gregory's book though, but not much of a romance novel, but an enjoyable book for me.
Cora

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amairwyn wrote:

As far as I know, historians agree that the incest charge was made up, unless new documents have come to light. Though portraying Anne Boleyn as an evil and amoral bitch seems to be the new fashion - that Tudors miniseries also went in that direction.

Sometimes, I wonder whether there is not some religious agenda at work there, since a few Catholics still hate Anne more than 500 years after the fact.
Karaa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the BBC's TV adaptation with Jodhi May as Anne and Natascha McElhone as Mary better than the Johansson/Portman movie. Probably because Jodhi May is such a terrific, intense actress and she always seems to get her characters right.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: