AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you keep track of books that are coming out?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinkbubble

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: How do you keep track of books that are coming out? Reply with quote

How do you all keep track of the books coming out that you want to read?

Post it notes? Those little pamphlets from waldenbooks? Does someone go all high tech and use a spreadsheet?

I have used all of the above (minus the spreadsheet) and can not find a system that works for me. Then WHAM I see a book that I have been wanting to read on a shelf at walmart and it has been out for 6 weeks. That really ticks me off Very Happy

So what do you all do and can I shamelessly steal a good idea?
Mark

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep my tbb (to be bought) lists at the end of the Word document with my lists of romances & mysteries owned. Current month & a few months forward & back organized by date, anything older organized by genre or sub-genre. I add to the tbb lists based on mentions on message boards & mailing lists and go through the upcoming month lists here at AAR looking for the names of many autobuy authors.
Audrey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty much the same as Mark although I can guarantee my lists are probably smaller! I have a Word document that lists the books I own to prevent me from duplicate buying. At the end is a list of to be bought that I compile from the AAR upcoming releases lists. I scan them looking for authors I enjoy, then if I hear a lot of buzz on the net, I add that to the lists. This is in my purse always so even if I run into a rummage sale or something, it's always on me.
Cyl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put them in my shopping cart on Amazon. Of course, I have to check to see what is coming out when, but this way I don't forget to check.
Tinabelle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still a paper day-planner user. I have a section for books where I have a page for each month where I list upcoming books I want to read. I also have a section for books I want to get from the library, and a 3rd section for older, UBS books. Plus I have the proverbial post-it notes and little slips of paper laying around, too, that I try to enter into my planner eventually. I take it with me to the bookstore if I don't order online and also to the library.

I am trying to make the switch to a more high-tech version and have started using a word document, but I find myself constantly falling back to my paper habit. I own a Kindle now so I am also noting which books are available in that format, too.
Rosario

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm VERY organised in other aspects of my reading (I've been keeping a spreadsheet tracking my reads for years and years, with graphs and all kinds of bells and whistles), but I'm really bad with upcoming reads. I just trust that one of the many romance blogs and websites I visit will mention the book when it comes out, and at that point I add it to my wish list email, which is one I keep on my webmail and keep emailing back to myself as I update it.
Yulie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for the Amazon cart. Though it must be said, mine tends to be rather empty. There are few authors I enjoy, and I've cut my orders down to two books at a time so as not to run out of things to buy.
Rosie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Amazon's Wish List. Then as the books are released, I delete them out of there.

But the ones I really want to read, I'm usually so anxious for that I don't need a reminder.
Tee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
I keep my tbb (to be bought) lists at the end of the Word document with my lists of romances & mysteries owned. Current month & a few months forward & back organized by date, anything older organized by genre or sub-genre. I add to the tbb lists based on mentions on message boards & mailing lists and go through the upcoming month lists here at AAR looking for the names of many autobuy authors.

Mark's system appears pretty much to be mine also. I'm not a list-keeper of books as others on the site are, but I do keep a few small ones. One is a list of authors whom I enjoy reading. The other is a list of upcoming books in a Pagemaker document. Just as with Mark, it's by current month, with a month back and about three months forward. I too get my heads-up here on the AAR link for upcoming books compiled by Bessie Makris (thank you). Another site I visit is FictionDB.com, which offers new releases for the whole year. I also pay close attention to the message boards and note any books that readers suggest that may also be to my liking.

This list of mine is updated monthly, usually on the first of the month. It's a really simple operation and I keep it close at hand near the computer to note changes and/or additions by hand. I do only print it out once a month, though.
MaryK

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Book Collector to organized my books and use a "wanted" designation for books I'm looking for. I export the database file to my PDA which I use almost exclusively for book tracking.

For keeping track of new releases, I use my PDA's calendar and put alerts on the days the books come out. Sometimes I miss one, but the next time I open the calendar a reminder pops up, kind of like an Outlook reminder.
Maggi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, do I feel low tech!! I just use a pocket-sized daily planner I bought at Hallmark. I enter the author or title in the appropriate month and date of release (always in pencil as release dates often change). That way I can see what's coming out in any given month and plan my purchases to take advantage of free shipping. I keep my planner in the credenza of my computer desk in easy reach so whenever I hear or read of something coming out that I want, it's very easy to make an entry.
Anne Marble

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maggi wrote:
Boy, do I feel low tech!! I just use a pocket-sized daily planner I bought at Hallmark. ...

Heck, at least you do something organized. I feel stone age by comparison. I dog ear reviews in my copy of Romantic Times, making sure the dog ears point toward the book that looked interesting. Usually, I wind up forgetting why they looked interesting. Razz
pinkbubble

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH WOW you guys are good!

About the amazon wish list how many can you list? I tried using barnes and noble but they only let you list 25 and I run out of room (yes you read that right - sigh)

But sometime you know 6 or 9 months ahead of time that a book is coming out and I want to keep track of it and those can add up fast.

Is anyone else saying in their head 'i'm not addicted I can quit anytime'?
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I check out the Romances on Sale feature at AAR each month. I then make a note of any books I think I might like, and check out Amazon (or authors' websites) to get the release date. Then, I make a note of the date in my PDA.

http://www.likesbooks.com/coming.html
LeeB.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since my library sometimes orders new books six months out, I have a Word document (in alpha order by author last name), of books that I want to read and/or buy. If the library orders the book, I move the title up to the top of the page in a separate part of my list. I also type in the release date of the book next to the title to make sure if the library doesn't order it, I will have to buy it.

Like LinnieGayl, I also make use of AAR's Romances on Sale feature. I click on a title, read Amazon's synopsis (or whatever is provided there), and then open another browswer to check my library's catalog to see if the book is on order.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: