AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tall Tales and Wedding Veils
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jenreads

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Tall Tales and Wedding Veils Reply with quote

I'm in total agreement of the "A" review of Jane Graves' Tall Tales and Wedding Veils. It's the perfect romance for a summer afternoon and is full of great dialogue, fun sex and a really cute couple. I loved it and look forward to reading it again too.
Tinabelle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been hearing a lot of good buzz about Tall Tales and Wedding Veils. I have ever read anything by this author, but it sounds like a fun summer read. I put a lot of faith in AAR reviews and reader comments, so thanks for the recommendation for this book. It is definitely going on my TBR shelf. Very Happy
bexmer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: It's a great book to recommend during the summer months Reply with quote

Summer, and wedding season is pretty much here and this is a book that should definitely be included on everyone's summer reading list.

The main characters were fully developed and as the book was winding down I found myself caring about how the characters would resolve the "conflict" the author had created for them and still manage to stay "true" to the characters.....a little too neatly tied up( conveniently, almost with a deus ex machina moment ),but still an enjoyable read and worth the price of the book.
Rosie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed it, too. It was nice to read a straight contemporary with no one running for their lives and no one finding out their loved one has fangs.

Quote:
a little too neatly tied up

I agree with that, and it's one of the reasons it gets a B+ for me and not true keeper status.
jenreads

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did do a little eye rolling in the last chapter, but I'd been so charmed throughout I gave the end a little more leeway. If an author builds up enough goodwill with me in the first 300 pages, I'm always willing to go with the flow for the last few. Anyway, I was smiling so much I wanted everyone to have a super, duper happy ending.
Rike

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just read it in one sitting and really enjoyed it. I agree about the ending being perhaps a tad too happy, but on the other hand I adored what Jane Graves did with Regina. Perhaps she might get her own novel? Now that she has rebelled, she might be an interesting character. Anyway, this is a great book, both funny and sweet.

Rike
clutterconqueror

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to toss my 2 cents in.

I thought this was one of the best contemporaries I've read in ages. A story about two nice people who fall in love with a great "meet-cute" and little tortured hero thrown in.

What's not to love.

Joyce O.
Jane A

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've liked Jane Graves in the past, but her last book Hot Wheels And High Heels was a bit meh for me. Has anyone read both who'd like to compare them for me?

Thanks!
RF

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked this book as well, I can't say it was exactly an A for me, but I will say it seemed refreshing. I;m used to Alpha heros who can do everything, so it was sort of nice to see a hero who needed a little help, but maintained his sexyness. I was by no means blown away, but I got a laugh and didn't get annoyed and that's good enough for me.
LeeB.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jane A wrote:
I've liked Jane Graves in the past, but her last book Hot Wheels And High Heels was a bit meh for me. Has anyone read both who'd like to compare them for me?

Thanks!

Jane: I've read both and I think Tall Tales and Wedding Veils was better than her previous book.
Jane A

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeB. wrote:
Jane A wrote:

Thanks!

Jane: I've read both and I think Tall Tales and Wedding Veils was better than her previous book.

Thanks, Lee. I'll give it a try, seems like people really liked it. Very Happy
jenreads

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This book is miles better than Graves' previous book "Hot Wheels". I think I scanned most of that one, but I read every word of this new one. Just a great contemporary romance. We don't see enough of those these days.
Lynda X

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm clearly in a minority here, but I was disappointed with "Tall Tales and Wedding Veils," mainly in the first half of the book. Faced with his friend's backing out of his loan, Tony's desperate decision to try to win $20,000 in Vegas seemed thoughtless and immature. And why would Heather, who's living with her parents to save for a condo, GIVE $20,000 to a stranger to buy a bar? Tony's cheerful acceptance of her money, not even offering to pay her back later or to make her a silent partner, is a character issue for me, as was his angry stomping away when she previously lost at the craps table. Why would he even accept this money? Just because he needs it is not a good enough answer. An honorable hero safeguards the heroine's best interests, even before he falls in love with her. I know that Jane Graves' plot of the two of them getting drunk and getting married in Vegas hinges on this plot contrivance, but I think she could have come up with a more attractive plot device.

I think Graves does a fair job in showing Tony's transformation from a player into a thoughtful, loving man, but his blow up at the end over Heather's invitation seemed sophomoric. I am not wild about him as a hero because he is not as strong and resolute as I had wished: too many temper tantrums for my taste.

I know that we are supposed to see Heather as stodgy with a yearning to be more fun loving, but her serious and mature handling of difficult situations--whether it's a crisis in the bar or being pressured by her cousin--make Tony seem even more immature. She acts as if she's 40 to his 22, not a good combination.

What I did like about the novel: the tension between Heather and her snarky cousin was fun. Heather's attempt to present herself as more experienced than she really is sexually as she tries to seduce Tony was human and sympathetic, allowing him to shine in his kind and sexy response to her. I loved Tony's rescuing Heather from embarrassment from her family and his staunch support during her cousin's wedding was endearing. However, Graves did not convince me that five years down the road that this couple was well paired. Instead, I could see Tony reverting to a whiner who blames Heather for difficulties and Heather who just stoically accepts his abuse.[/i]
Tee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynda X wrote:
I know I'm clearly in a minority here, but I was disappointed with "Tall Tales and Wedding Veils," mainly in the first half of the book. Faced with his friend's backing out of his loan, Tony's desperate decision to try to win $20,000 in Vegas seemed thoughtless and immature. And why would Heather, who's living with her parents to save for a condo, GIVE $20,000 to a stranger to buy a bar? Tony's cheerful acceptance of her money, not even offering to pay her back later or to make her a silent partner, is a character issue for me, as was his angry stomping away when she previously lost at the craps table.

First off, Lynda X, if you're in the minority, so am I. Those questions you raised about the $20,000 were also questions that I had wandering about my mind. Why, why, why? Really, she didn't even know him as a friend. And as you implied, she herself didn't have a pot to p--- in trying to save for a condo.

Quote:
Why would he even accept this money? Just because he needs it is not a good enough answer.

That totally got to me. What person would actually do that to someone whom they didn't know? Only in fiction, I guess.

Quote:
I know that Jane Graves' plot of the two of them getting drunk and getting married in Vegas hinges on this plot contrivance, but I think she could have come up with a more attractive plot device.

When you had a chance to totally look at that scenario, there were holes all thru it.

Quote:
I am not wild about him as a hero because he is not as strong and resolute as I had wished: too many temper tantrums for my taste.

I didn't like him from the beginning, but then he grew on me. Unfortunately, as the story went on, he "un-grew" on me. Despite the reasons stated for his behavior with women and other social issues, due to childhood circumstances, I wasn't convinced enough. He appeared to be quite selfish, all of this IMO only.

Quote:
What I did like about the novel: the tension between Heather and her snarky cousin was fun.

I loved that relationship, along with the mothers of these girls. Graves drew them well.

Quote:
However, Graves did not convince me that five years down the road that this couple was well paired. Instead, I could see Tony reverting to a whiner who blames Heather for difficulties and Heather who just stoically accepts his abuse.

Interesting, but these again were some of my first thoughts as the story was winding down. I was almost hoping for Heather to walk out and tell him to "grow up" and then maybe she'd be back. But then I wasn't sure I wanted them together after all. Especially with the scene with Babette. I had true reservations after a few years down the road and enduring some of the trials of marriage, whether Tony could keep it together.

Some extra notes. In spite of all that I said above and agreed with, I enjoyed the story enough to keep wanting to go back to it. But I did find myself talking back to Heather many times and "telling" her what to do (which she didn't). I found Graves' style of writing to be easy and flowing and had absolutely no problem in visualizing scenes. Her humor is wonderful. These things kept me glued to the pages. Now maybe she can work on the actual details a bit better in her next one.
lynno

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, I had some of the same problems with this book. I kept waiting for the hero to make her a silent partner. What kind of doormat would just give some quasi-stranger 20K, just because he's hot? And why is a hot Himbo someone who needs understanding but a hot bimbo is of little human value

I read the last 1/3 about a week after the first 2/3, and liked it a lot better that way. He seemed to genuinely like and enjoy her, something that did not come through in the first 2/3. In the first part, he lusts after her organizational skills, she was an employee, not a potential love interest. She gives him money, runs his business all while holding down a job. I could buy this kind of story if he really enjoyed her and being with her despite her lack of being the perfect 10. But he couldn't care less about anyone but himself until well into the second half.

My biggest gripe is how this heroine can only be attractive and get the hot guy by demeaning beautiful women. Well, I didn't like the father subplot -trite and cliche.

The heroine is sooooo much better than those hot, selfish, bimbo, self absorbed beautiful women. Shees, while, I'm a little pudgy (and that's honest almost within my bmi) and average or below average in looks, I have value and can have value without believing that beautiful women are dumb or unworthy.

I was very skeptical, but in the end liked all the characters. So, I give it solid C-. And sorry, the relationship is too unequal to have a HEA.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: