AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OT: RIP Fantasy Author Robert Jordan

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anne Marble

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: OT: RIP Fantasy Author Robert Jordan Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad

This news is huge for the fantasy field. He had a major impact and will be missed.

You can read more at Making Light:
http://nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/archives/009381.html

(I'd link to the official Robert Jordan blog, but it kept going down because of heavy traffic last night, when the announcement was made.)
CD

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugger... Did he ever finish the Wheel of Time series? Have to admit that I gave up after book 4. If he didn't, there will be a whole load of disappointed fans.
Anne Marble

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CD wrote:
Bugger... Did he ever finish the Wheel of Time series? Have to admit that I gave up after book 4. If he didn't, there will be a whole load of disappointed fans.

I've heard that he finished book 11 and was working on book 12, which was the last book. Luckily, he had told the complete story to family members and kept extensive, so I'm sure they'll hire a writer to work with them and complete the book.
Natalie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, this doesn't come as a surprize as he's been gravely ill for some time. Still sad, of course.

I was ashamed of myself, but my first thought when I heard about his condition was "Damn, now he's not going to finish it". Rolling Eyes [/list]
ladynaava

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up reading his book around book 7. Too much mary-suism for my taste. But I'm sorry he passed.

N
CD

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only just read the last entries on his blog: God, they were heartbreaking - especially the last one he wrote "Just a very quick check-in to let you know Iím still alive..." . I remember now that he got into a huge amount of trouble for writing a diatribe against George Bush in his blog. This was a number of years ago and, for a public personality then, that took guts wherever you stand on the issue.

His blog can be found here: http://www.dragonmount.com/RobertJordan/
Anne Marble

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anne Marble wrote:
I've heard that he finished book 11 and was working on book 12, which was the last book. Luckily, he had told the complete story to family members and kept extensive, so I'm sure they'll hire a writer to work with them and complete the book.

I take that back. Book 11 was published in late 2005, with the paperback out in November 2006. So I guess he had started book 12. But was unable to finish it. Poor guy. Crying or Very sad
mlg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started the series, am on book 2-The Great Hunt. Such a loss, how hard it must be for his friends and family.
Nana

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anne Marble wrote:
Anne Marble wrote:

I take that back. Book 11 was published in late 2005, with the paperback out in November 2006. So I guess he had started book 12. But was unable to finish it. Poor guy. Crying or Very sad

I bailed on the series around book 6 when I realized he was padding out the story and letting the cash register ring. know this is a horrible thing to say, but if he'd just reined it in, he might have finished.
Amairwyn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is definitely a loss to the fantasy/sci-fi world. Sad

I like the fact that the books went on for so long, I think it adds to the story, and gave him time to really develop the characters. Very Happy
To flee from my ivory tower"

Enter- Within Temptation
Yuri

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard somewhere that someone is going to be using his notes to finish the series?
JJ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Brandon Sanderson will be finishing the Wheel of Time series (thank god). I've read some of his books and he is a very talented writer, so I have fairly high hopes yet for the end of the series.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: