AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just read SEP's Natural Born Charmer and LOVED IT!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Claire

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Just read SEP's Natural Born Charmer and LOVED IT! Reply with quote

Oh how I love Susan Eliz. Phillips! She always writes the best characters and snappy dialogue like nobody's business. Here's a description of the book:
After her ex-boyfriend Monty insists that she is the only person he ever loved, Blue Bailey packs up everything she has (which isn't much) and moves from Seattle to Colorado to be with him. But once Blue arrives, she discovers Monty has found love again with a younger, blonder new girlfriend. With few job options and practically no money, Blue thought she might be stuck in Colorado for a long time, until Dean Robillard drives through on his way to Tennessee. The last person Blue wants to ask for a favor is a way-too-gorgeous-for-his-own-good stranger who annoys her to no end. And who turns out to be the quarterback for the Chicago Stars. But Dean is Blue's only ticket out, even if it means she is stuck with him all the way to Tennessee. RITA Award-winner Phillips creates yet another classic romance in her loosely connected Chicago Stars series with this splendidly satisfying tale of love, family, and redemption. Generously seasoned with plenty of tart humor and snappy dialogue, and graced with a delightfully amusing pair of protagonists trying desperately not to fall in love, Natural Born Charmer is simply irresistible.

There was a character in it I found oddly endearing and that was the town's mean and I mean mean, old rich woman Nita who literally owned the town. I don't know, maybe its bc I have seen so many battle axes around just like her, and I don't want to give a bit of the plot away so I'll just say I loved her. The heroine knew exactly how to handle her and they had some great back and forths. So many good characters in here.
I couldn't put this one down and its been a while since I've read a book like that.
Jane A

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, SEP is fabulous. I would never want to disturb her muse, but I sure wish she wrote more than one book every two years!
sanalayla

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think I've never been disappointed by her, yet. (Although I haven't read some of her older titles.)

I also wish that she would publish more frequently. But, I guess, if she needs time to write quality stuff than it's better to have that over quantity.
GraindeBeaute

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have four of SEP's books on my TBR list. I have Match Me If You Can, Kiss an Angel, Nobody's Baby But Mine, and This Heart of Mine. I'll be buying Natural Born Charmer next. Very Happy
Sissy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GraindeBeaute wrote:
I have four of SEP's books on my TBR list. I have Match Me If You Can, Kiss an Angel, Nobody's Baby But Mine, and This Heart of Mine. I'll be buying Natural Born Charmer next. Very Happy

My suggestion would be to pull out Kiss An Angel and read it first. This is a really good stand alone of SEP's. The others are part of the Chicago Stars series. Smile
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GraindeBeaute wrote:

You should try to pick up "It Had to Be You". That's the start of the Chicago Star series and it's one of her best, if not the best.

That being said, in my own discovery of Susan Eliza. Phillips, I didn't follow my own advice and read "Nobody's Baby But Mine" first. I would recommend that, especially for the story behind the hero's parents' courtship. I would give anything if SEP would take a trip back in time and write THEIR story. I was so moved by the little snippets she supplied in NBBM. Just so touching.
Tee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandlynn wrote:
...and read "Nobody's Baby But Mine" first.

That's still my favorite one of hers, with First Lady being a very close second!
GraindeBeaute

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sissy wrote:
GraindeBeaute wrote:

My suggestion would be to pull out Kiss An Angel and read it first. This is a really good stand alone of SEP's. The others are part of the Chicago Stars series. Smile

Thanks Sissy! I only just discovered that the three other books were part of the Chicago series. I'm planning to read them in order so I'll be reading Kiss of an Angel first. Thanks! Very Happy
GraindeBeaute

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandlynn wrote:
GraindeBeaute wrote:

You should try to pick up "It Had to Be You". That's the start of the Chicago Star series and it's one of her best, if not the best.

That being said, in my own discovery of Susan Eliza. Phillips, I didn't follow my own advice and read "Nobody's Baby But Mine" first. I would recommend that, especially for the story behind the hero's parents' courtship. I would give anything if SEP would take a trip back in time and write THEIR story. I was so moved by the little snippets she supplied in NBBM. Just so touching.

Thanks Sandlynn! I'll be looking for It Had to Be You so I can start reading SEP's series. I'm still looking for the first books so I can start reading them in order. Laughing
Diana

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't leave out Dream a Little Dream! It's connected to the Stars as well by hero Gabe who is Cal's (Nobody's Baby But Mine) brother.

Another great standalone is Ain't She Sweet.

SEP is wonderful. I reread her books for comfort and laughs and to reconnect with her vivid characters. I'd call her a Wise Woman. Wink
GraindeBeaute

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diana wrote:
Don't leave out Dream a Little Dream! It's connected to the Stars as well by hero Gabe who is Cal's (Nobody's Baby But Mine) brother.

Another great standalone is Ain't She Sweet.

SEP is wonderful. I reread her books for comfort and laughs and to reconnect with her vivid characters. I'd call her a Wise Woman. Wink

I'll take note of that Diana. Very Happy Thanks!
Yulie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GraindeBeaute, I feel compelled to add a note of caution. I find SEP to be very hit and miss. When she's on, she is really, really good - one of the best writers of contemporary romance, IMHO. However, I've found some of her books to be extremely disappointing. So if you experience something similar, please don't give up on her before trying another book.

In my case, I would put It Had to be You, Nobody's Baby but Mine (if you can get past the first few chapters, which are pretty awful), This Heart of Mine and Ain't She Sweet in the good category, though I have some reservations about the last one; Hot Shot, Natural Born Charmer and Dream a Little Dream in the "I kind of liked them" category; and Heaven, Texas, First Lady, Breating Room and Lady be Good in the "straight to the UBS" category. Of course, everybody else seems to loooove Heaven, Texas. Match Me If You Can didn't work for me, but I didn't actively dislike it :)

It Had To be You is my favorite SEP - I think you're in for a real treat.
Rosie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that SEP can be very hit or miss. She does seem to have her fans that love every single thing she writes, and I kind of envy them. But for me, I love some, hate some and DNF some.

For what it's worth, my favorite SEP novel is Match Me If You Can. I'd put it in my top five romance favorites of all time, I loved it that much.
RichMissTallant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the opening of Natural Born Charmer was absolutely hilarious - I was literally laughing out loud with the description of the 'headless beaver'.

I haven't read her entire backlist but I especially love Match Me If You Can.

I think when she's on her game, she's the absolute funniest writer of contemporary romance novels. She's my contemporary JQ, if you will.

http://dreamingenigma.livejournal.com
GraindeBeaute

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yulie wrote:
GraindeBeaute, I feel compelled to add a note of caution. I find SEP to be very hit and miss. When she's on, she is really, really good - one of the best writers of contemporary romance, IMHO. However, I've found some of her books to be extremely disappointing. So if you experience something similar, please don't give up on her before trying another book.

In my case, I would put It Had to be You, Nobody's Baby but Mine (if you can get past the first few chapters, which are pretty awful), This Heart of Mine and Ain't She Sweet in the good category, though I have some reservations about the last one; Hot Shot, Natural Born Charmer and Dream a Little Dream in the "I kind of liked them" category; and Heaven, Texas, First Lady, Breating Room and Lady be Good in the "straight to the UBS" category. Of course, everybody else seems to loooove Heaven, Texas. Match Me If You Can didn't work for me, but I didn't actively dislike it :)

It Had To be You is my favorite SEP - I think you're in for a real treat.

Thanks for the info Yulie. I have experienced the Hit and Miss thing with some authors I know. But I still read their stories. Very Happy Thanks for informing me. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: