AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Amanda Quick recs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichMissTallant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Amanda Quick recs Reply with quote

I've been reading romance for years, but there are a few authors I haven't really explored that seem to be part of the romance canon, and one of those authors is Amanda Quick. I know she writes under different names, but I really love historicals, so I'm thinking of those specifically (although JAK recs also welcome). I've gotten the impression from reading reviews and such that she favours the Big Mis, which I hate. Does she write any really good ones that avoid a Big Mis/long separation, TSTL heroine, lust-at-first-sight (as in, kiss before they even know each other), disguise, or similar frustrating plotlines? I know she must write some good romances to be so well-loved, but I'd love to avoid the ones that will give me a headache in the meantime.

http://dreamingenigma.livejournal.com
Cheryl AAR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to our poll results for favorite book by Amanda Quick, so you can see what AAR readers reccomend:
http://www.likesbooks.com/favesbyauthor4.html#quick

I like her a lot, but you have to read her sparingly, for all her books tend to all sound alike if you read too many in a row - all her heroes and heroines are similar, their vocal cadences rarely change from book to book, etc. But, if you like her stock characters - and I do - then she can be a real comfort read. My personal favorite is Ravished.
Elizabeth Rolls

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a matter of taste, Miss Tallent. I enjoy her books, but you may not if her style is not to your liking. I found Seduction particularly good fun, but the best thing to do is to try two or three and see if she works for you. I can't think of any major misunderstandings or long separations in the AQ books, although there are a few where characters either deliberately or accidentally mislead each other. None of which bothered me in the least.

To be honest, without knowing someone well it is difficult to recommend books which they might like . . . had to laugh at my hairdresser yesterday - she informed me in tones of loathing that she had just read ALL the Chronicles of Narnia and hated them. Despite the fact that I love them I wondered why she had even bothered to pick them up let alone finish since she is a committed pagan. Knowing her I would have advised her to steer well clear! A great deal of what we enjoy reading depends on what we bring to it and our expectations.

Elizabeth
Mark

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t think JAK is normally associated with big mis plots. She is better known for h/h who cooperate to solve problems. If you prefer romances with humor as I do, consider the list below with my humor ratings for Castle (futuristic), Krentz (contemporary) & Quick (historical).
castle, jayne
curtain series:
amaryllis***
zinnia***
orchid****
(** see charmed anthology)
after dark***
after glow***
ghost hunter***.5
silver master***
krentz, jayne ann
sequence:
the pirate****
the adventurer***
the cowboy**
series:
eclipse bay****
dawn in eclipse bay***
summer in eclipse bay*****
series:
light in shadow****
truth or dare***
series (see quick):
white lies***
non-series:
absolutely, positively***
all night long***.5
between the lines***
deep waters***
eye of the beholder***
falling awake****
family man***
the family way***
flash***
full bloom***
ghost of a chance***
the golden chance***
grand passion***
hidden talents***
joy***
lady's choice***
lost and found***
the main attraction***
midnight jewels***
perfect partners****
the private eye***
smoke in mirrors***
soft focus***
sharp edges***
sweet fortune***
too wild to wed?***
trust me***
uneasy alliance***
wildest hearts***
a woman's touch****
quick, amanda
series:
second sight***
the third circle**.5
series:
slightly shady****
don’t look back****
late for the wedding**.5
non-series:
affair***
dangerous***
deception****
desire***
i thee wed***
lie by moonlight***.5
mischief***
mistress***
mystique***
the paid companion****
ravished*****
reckless***
rendezvous***
the river knows***
scandal***
surrender***
wait until midnight***.5
wicked widow***
with this ring****.5
Tee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Amanda Quick recs Reply with quote

RichMissTallant wrote:
I've gotten the impression from reading reviews and such that she favours the Big Mis, which I hate.

I totally agree with Mark in that Quick is definitely not known for the Big Mis plot. In fact, when problems arise in most of her books (including all pseudonyms), the issue is usually confronted quite directly and early on by the characters.

Personally, my favorite Quick book is the first one of hers that I read and it's Rendezvouz. I loved that story and all the characters and have re-read it at least three times as comfort reads. But all of her early books are wonderful and make for a delightful read.
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystique and Desire are two Amanda Quick Medievals. The latter is set on an island, administered by the heroine, who has a thriving scent business, a precursor of Bath and Body Works.

My favorite Quick books are Seduction (the first one), Rendezvous, Ravished and With This Ring.

My favorite JAK book is The Golden Chance, Dreams 1, Dreams 2, A Woman's Touch, The Family Way, Gift of Gold, Gift of Fire, Sweet Starfire, Crystal Flame, A Coral Kiss and Midnight Jewels.

My favorite Jayne Castle books are Amaryllis, Zinnia and Orchid.

The only Amanda Glass book is Shield's Lady, a paranormal futuristic, which is also a favorite of mine.

Kay
Yuri

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Amanda Quick recs Reply with quote

RichMissTallant wrote:
Does she write any really good ones that avoid a Big Mis/long separation, TSTL heroine, lust-at-first-sight (as in, kiss before they even know each other), disguise, or similar frustrating plotlines?

While preferring the earlier books over the later ones, I would stay away from "Reckless" (slightly TSTL heroine) and "Rendevous" whose heroine is a little headstrong at times. Sometimes Quick's heroines seem heedless or foolish but they turn out not to be, and although there are sometimes misunderstandings they are sorted out very quickly. My favorites are "Ravished", "Scandal" and "Deception", although I would note in the latter two the heroes aren't exactly upfront about their motives.

To give you a reference point, my favourite Heyers are "Devil's Cub", "Venetia", "These Old Shades", and "Frederica".
RichMissTallant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the replies, especially for correcting any misunderstandings I may have had about the type of books she writes. I picked up Ravished, and I'm going to give that one a try first.

http://dreamingenigma.livejournal.com
Tee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Amanda Quick recs Reply with quote

Yuri wrote:
I would stay away from "Reckless" (slightly TSTL heroine) and "Rendevous" whose heroine is a little headstrong at times.

I think that's why I enjoyed Rendezvous so much, Yuri. She really was rather headstrong, but in a very humorous way. I liked the hero in that one, too. Ah--each to their own! Very Happy
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Amanda Quick recs Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
Yuri wrote:
I would stay away from "Reckless" (slightly TSTL heroine) and "Rendevous" whose heroine is a little headstrong at times.

I think that's why I enjoyed Rendezvous so much, Yuri. She really was rather headstrong, but in a very humorous way. I liked the hero in that one, too. Ah--each to their own! Very Happy

Oh, Rendezvous is my all time favorite Quick! I keep hoping it'll beat out some of the others when we do polls...sigh!
Tee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Amanda Quick recs Reply with quote

LinnieGayl wrote:
Oh, Rendezvous is my all time favorite Quick!

If the message boards have taught me anything, LinnieGayl, it's that the differences in personal preference sometimes just cannot be explained. I too loved that book and probably is my favorite among Quick's. But as we can see, that's not necessarily the case across the board. Vive la différence, and all that. Laughing
dick

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like them all, but I add a vote for "Mystique" as the best--and it's laugh-out-loud funny.
Tinabelle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really love JAK/AQ and she is still an auto-buy for me. People's opinions are typically all over the board no matter what book/author is named. I think the best thing for you to do is try a couple and form your own opinion. And i agree with others who recommend reading her in small doses, not all of her books right in a row. That said, these are some of my favorite Amanda Quick's:

Ravished
Deception
Reckless
Rendezvous
Surrender
Dangerous
The Paid Companion
Affair
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read MISTRESS a few months ago (for the first time, even though it was published in 1995) and thoroughly enjoyed it. The heroine pretends to be the hero's mistress in order to gain access to society so she can investigate who is blackmailing her aunt. Great plan, and it works swimmingly -- she becomes quite the thing...an Original...and she begins to compile a list of suspects. Only problem is that she's been operating from the belief that the hero is dead -- he's a bit of a recluse who never comes into town -- and, of course, he isn't.

But I loved the way Iphiginia and Marcus related to one another. Huge respect there, and a real appreciation for each other's intellect, etc. They're very much attracted to one another sexually, but you also get the sense that they're relationship is built on friendship and very real respect for one another.

Great story.
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Amanda Quick Reply with quote

My personal favorite of her books is Deception. I loved that the hero looks like a pirate and is surrounded by relatives who are pirates, yet has the soul of a Regency accountant. His relatives are sorely disappointed in him and his need for order and schedules, but his inner adventurer comes through when he meets the heroine. A fun book.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: