AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your ideal heroine
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maysa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Maturity, a sense of humour, and being a Reasonable Person.

This is exactly what I like, too. In addition, I tend to like a heroine who's been kicked around a little by life, but who retains her ability to laugh and her sense of self. Emma Hotchkiss in Judith Ivory's Untie My Heart is my all-time favorite heroine.
athena_d

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a fun question!

Hrmm, it takes me awhile to answer this question because there are a lot of heroines Ive read so far that I've liked. To sum it up though, I love reading about heroines who are independent and strong (who doesnt? Smile) Cliche answer I know but I like her to be feminine yet at the same time as strong as our male lead.

I like to read about a heroine who grows as a person throughout the book and makes the hero work for her love after he's been an ass. Something along the lines of: she loves him, but she can live without him. That makes me feel as though both H/H are equals, and our hero doesnt take advantage of our heroine. But because I read a lot of historicals, there arent many of those heroines.

Still, once in a while I do get lucky and pick up a book like that. Smile
panthercrawl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading a lot of historicals, I find that I can usually love a hero (there are always exceptions) but not necessarily the heroine. Either she is TSTL (thank you) or she is capable of directing the 20th century feminist movement from her sitting room. There is a fine line between these two and rarely does a heroine (or the author) achieve the balance.

An exception, I can think of off the top of my head is Evie from Devil in Winter (Lisa Kleypas). She knows what she need to do. She makes it happen. She falls in love in the process.

Someone also mentioned Robyn Carr. I think Mel from the Virgin River series may be one of my fave contemporary heroines. Even though she is emotionally a mess, she somehow has her sh_t together enough to go about her day. I can appreciate that. (Plus she makes Jack follow her around like a puppy, inadvertantly)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: