AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hidden Treasures
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kayne

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Hidden Treasures Reply with quote

What are your favorite Hidden Treasures so far this year? Is there a book that you enjoyed but haven't seen many people discussing? One book I enjoyed but didn't see mentioned on the boards was Three Nights of Sin by Anne Mallory. From the title and blurb of the book I thought it sounded predictable but decided to pick it up after seeing the review here and am glad I did. I agree with the B rating and review but it made me wonder how many others I might have missed out on.
xina

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Hidden Treasures Reply with quote

[quote="Kayne"]What are your favorite Hidden Treasures so far this year?

I really enjoyed Sandra Schwab's Bewitched and am now almost finished with Elizabeth's Hoyt's To Taste Temptation....and I have loved this book as well, but these books have been discussed. One book, that I loved that hasn't been discussed at all is The Boundless Deep by Kate Brallier. It is a paranormal..sort of. The heroine has dreams of a whaler and his wife from the 1800's. She travels to Hyannis MA to figure out her dreams and meets two interesting men there. Also, the dreams with the whaler and his wife are sometimes erotic and that is a love story in itself. I picked this book out of the general fiction section on a whim and was pleasantly surprised that it was indeed a romance. Very buried treasure IMO and a real find for romance novel lovers. First person delivery...if that makes a difference.
Margaret

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just Desserts by Barbara Bretton. It was a nice comfort read...kind of like Robin Carr or Janice Kay Johnson.
Trish B

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though it got some discussion here on the review board and other reader sites, I don't think it's been widely read and IMO it should be: Meredith Duran's The Duke of Shadows.
Tee

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret wrote:
Just Desserts by Barbara Bretton. It was a nice comfort read...kind of like Robin Carr or Janice Kay Johnson.

I loved Just Desserts, Margaret, but then I usually enjoy Bretton's writing. Not all of hers, mind you, but most of them. She's written a few books about family that really do remind me a bit of Robyn Carr's tales.
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a series I've been really really impressed with and haven't seen very much about at all. Although they haven't been written this year, I think they are just coming in paperback this year.
And they are The Sons of Destiny series by Jean Johnson. I've read three almost back to back to back and I'm now half-way through the fourth book. The Sabre is the first one, The Wolf the second. The Master is the third and I'm currently reading The Song, the fourth.
Often when reading books by the same author so close together, I notice a sameness about them by the third - but not so with these ones. I highly recommend them!!
Jane A

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristie(J) wrote:
There is a series I've been really really impressed with and haven't seen very much about at all. Although they haven't been written this year, I think they are just coming in paperback this year.
And they are The Sons of Destiny series by Jean Johnson. I've read three almost back to back to back and I'm now half-way through the fourth book. The Sabre is the first one, The Wolf the second. The Master is the third and I'm currently reading The Song, the fourth.
Often when reading books by the same author so close together, I notice a sameness about them by the third - but not so with these ones. I highly recommend them!!

Kristie,

I thought this series sounded interesting, but at least one review I read said that her heroine's tended to be very abrasive and obnoxious. That doesn't sound particularly appealing to me. Can you tell me what you think since you enjoy this series so much?

The fantasy setting is one I really enjoy, so I am quite tempted to give these books a go, despite the negative feedback on the heroines.

Jane
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jane: I wouldn't say her heroines are abrasive - certainly not the second, third or fourth ones. Kellie, the heroine in the The Sword, is somewhat on the bossy side - but then she is the first woman on an island with eight guys who've lived there for three years and have let things slide, so it's a pretty messy castle they live in. And they are all quite grateful to her for kicking their collective butts - and they all appreciate her efforts. So I'd say rather than abrasive, she's a take charge kind of heroine.
The heroine of the second book isn't abrasive at all! Rather she is shy and rather timid at first. But then she comes into her own once she's free of her uncle's machinations.
The heroine of the third book is a scatterbrained genius who gets caught up in her work and needs the hero to ground her. The heroine of the fourth one - which I have about 10 pages left to read is a gentle healer.
What I'm loving about these books is the relationship between all the brothers and the way they all work together whenever trouble arises. Also the love scenes are unusually realistic in some scenes. And I think they're funny -the books that is - not the love scenes, although come to think of it they are too - in a realistic, we've all been there kind of way.
The setting is kind of a magical medieval one.
Jane A

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristie(J) wrote:
Jane: I wouldn't say her heroines are abrasive - certainly not the second, third or fourth ones. Kellie, the heroine in the The Sword, is somewhat on the bossy side - but then she is the first woman on an island with eight guys who've lived there for three years and have let things slide, so it's a pretty messy castle they live in. And they are all quite grateful to her for kicking their collective butts - and they all appreciate her efforts. So I'd say rather than abrasive, she's a take charge kind of heroine.
The heroine of the second book isn't abrasive at all! Rather she is shy and rather timid at first. But then she comes into her own once she's free of her uncle's machinations.
The heroine of the third book is a scatterbrained genius who gets caught up in her work and needs the hero to ground her. The heroine of the fourth one - which I have about 10 pages left to read is a gentle healer.
What I'm loving about these books is the relationship between all the brothers and the way they all work together whenever trouble arises. Also the love scenes are unusually realistic in some scenes. And I think they're funny -the books that is - not the love scenes, although come to think of it they are too - in a realistic, we've all been there kind of way.
The setting is kind of a magical medieval one.

Kristie,
Thank you! I like a strong heroine, just not a shrewish one and the other review I read made them/her(?) out that way. She sounds fine to me, and now I'm going to give the books a try. Thanks for the rec.
Jane
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Kristie,
Thank you! I like a strong heroine, just not a shrewish one and the other review I read made them/her(?) out that way. She sounds fine to me, and now I'm going to give the books a try. Thanks for the rec.
Jane

I hope you post when you get one read so I can see if I done good for you. LOL I always feel an unreasonable sense of responsibility when some reads a book I've recommended *g*
Natalie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Sinful Alliance by Amanda McCabe

Greenwich court of King Henry VIII, French heroine, Russian hero, romance and intrigue - I love that era and I wish there were more romances set in it.
Jane A

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristie(J) wrote:
Quote:
Kristie,
Jane

I hope you post when you get one read so I can see if I done good for you. LOL I always feel an unreasonable sense of responsibility when some reads a book I've recommended *g*

I know how you feel, I always worry when I recommend a book that it will end up being a dud for the reader. But really we're all big girls and we can make decisions for ourselves. LOL
I will let you know what I think. Very Happy
Jane A

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Natalie wrote:

Greenwich court of King Henry VIII, French heroine, Russian hero, romance and intrigue - I love that era and I wish there were more romances set in it.

That sounds good, I'll look for it. I have been trying to branch out and find some different historical time periods. I must admit I am becoming quite bored with most regencies out there, with a few recent notable exceptions. I've been reading Joan Wolf's prehistoric romances, and I've loved them. They aren't new, though. They were published originally in the early 90's.
Margaret

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I loved Just Desserts, Margaret, but then I usually enjoy Bretton's writing. Not all of hers, mind you, but most of them. She's written a few books about family that really do remind me a bit of Robyn Carr's tales.
[/quote]

Tee, I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner. I still have trouble following threads! Confused Plus we have a new puppy and all I think about is house training. I can't recall having read Bretton before but liked Just Desserts so much I borrowed Just Like Heaven. Reading time is limited right now but hopefully soon. Any other of Bretton's I should focus on? Thanks!
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: McCabe's "A Sinful Alliance" Reply with quote

Natalie wrote:

I read and enjoyed this too. I thought it started out a bit slowly, but once it got going it was quite good. You got a sense of a heroine who reveled in her ability to take an active role in the world around her in a way most women of that time did not, but you also got a sense of the damage inflicted on her by the path she had taken. I liked that she wasn't sexually shy or insecure; it was a nice change of pace. And Nicolai, for all his skills in political intrigue, was a sweetie.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: