AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is the worse romance you ever read?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marilyn.K

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cowboy Trouble by Joanne Kennedy. AWFUL. Questionable plot; ill defined characters; amateurish writing. All her good stars seem to come from her fellow writer's club members. There can't be too many members in Cheyenne, Wyoming without them being your friends as well.
Yulie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamiSings wrote:
I only saw a couple of the latter episodes, admittedly, but she was too tough. Only Buffy I like is the whiny cheerleader from the comedy movie version.

I can't stand the movie version; Buffy is just ridiculous in it. The later seasons did have a darker vibe and a tougher Buffy, which is understandable considering all that the character goes through.
AM78

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forget the name of this book. I still have in a storage bin.

Anyway, it was a harlequin presents from the early 80's. The first three chapters gave me the ideal the herione was Mirianne. The chapters, while not in first person, described Miranne's observations of her cousin, Caro, and Miranne's feelings. I honestly thought Miranne was the herione.

Sometime in the first 3 chapters, Miranne and Caro meet two cousins. Earlier, Caro said all she needed was a rich man. Caro's family was going to loose their home if they didn't get some money fast.

From the first 3 chapters, I thought Miranne was the herione, and the book was going to be about Mirannan's romance with one of the cousins. Then the book shifted to Caro. I wish I had the notes I made on this book. It was so bad. I had no sympathy for Caro. I hated her. I saw her as scheming and basically taking away Miranne's only chance at happiness. Miranne had fallen in love with the 'hero' and Caro knew. But yet, when Miranne went away for teachers conference, Caro sneaks into her room and 'borrows' some of Miranne's perfume to impress the hero. The whole time Miranne is away, Caro tries to make the hero more interested in her. Caro has also been portrayed as not very responsible.

The last page is Miranne's inner thoughts. Miranne has decided to go away to France. She thinks what a 'good' aunt she'll be to Caro and the hero's children. Ugh.
I hated that book.
JamiSings

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yulie wrote:
JamiSings wrote:
I only saw a couple of the latter episodes, admittedly, but she was too tough. Only Buffy I like is the whiny cheerleader from the comedy movie version.

I can't stand the movie version; Buffy is just ridiculous in it. The later seasons did have a darker vibe and a tougher Buffy, which is understandable considering all that the character goes through.

Well, I prefer the movie version to the tv version. To each their own.

In the meantime does anyone know the name of the worse romance novel I ever read?
iluvarake

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yulie wrote:

Also, I loved Spike, who may be love's bitch but is man enough to admit it. I just wanted to add that. Very Happy

This cannot be said enough. Laughing

I nominate any book that features rape cream as a prop.

I just read To Love a Princess by Patricia Grasso after seeing it mentioned here and thought it was pretty pitiful. The plot is crazy over the top (and I can be really forgiving of this if a book has other things going for it.) The hero was a self-pitying mope and the heroine was one of those fey, too good beautiful and forgiving to be true types. It was all tell and no show and quite repetitive with the added detraction of ridiculous and too convenient plot devices. As just one example the heroine is hurt because the hero has three former mistresses who somehow without consulting each other all write to the hero and then come to see him on the same day in one hour increments like ghosts of harlots past, present and future. There was lots more like this but it's quickly fading from my memory and I'm not willing to revisit it to make this post more complete. I can't believe it got 4 stars on Amazon.
Susanna Kearsley

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamiSings wrote:
In the meantime does anyone know the name of the worse romance novel I ever read?

It wasn't Whitefire, by Fern Michaels, by any chance? That takes place in Russia, and the heroine gets raped right at the beginning by the hero, who's a Mongol prince...
Vol Fan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't add too much to this thread, because I won't finish a book if it's bad. However, I can add a couple.

"He's No Prince" by LuAnn McLane. Occasional pratfalls and silliness can be funny. Over and over and over, it becomes stupid. This book was filled with stupid scenes and silliness, repeating the same format again and again a few pages later, plus dreadfully boring characters too. I was totally unimpressed with her previous book "Redneck Cinderella" also. But as I had really enjoyed her earlier books, and hoping that RC was a fluke, I decided to give her the benefit of the doubt, hoping she would return to form so I read "He's No Prince". "Prince" was the worst I've read and finished anyway.

I read the "Twilight" books too and while I didn't think they were the worst, they certainly were the worst in examples for teenage girls. Could Bella have been anymore dependant? I thought the fact she had no life or existance without Edward was sick.

Last edited by Vol Fan on Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
JamiSings

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susanna Kearsley wrote:
JamiSings wrote:

It wasn't Whitefire, by Fern Michaels, by any chance? That takes place in Russia, and the heroine gets raped right at the beginning by the hero, who's a Mongol prince...

Yep, that's it! After googling I finally found a picture of the cover. Truly awful book.
Susanna Kearsley

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamiSings wrote:
Yep, that's it!

Glad to be of service...I think... Smile
Antz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost Perfect by Susan Mallery

The so called hero was the pride and joy and family member of the the town's founding family.

The heroine was from the wrong side of the track, while in high school the H convinces the h to date him in secret, she worked at the diner where all the kids hung out and he would come in with the in crowd and ignore her while there.

She gets pregnant by him and goes to tell him and finds him in bed with the "beauty queen" she leaves town, writes to him telling him she is pregnant by this time the hero has married the 'beauty queen" because she was pregnant and she intercepts the letter reads it and sends a reply stating that he wants nothing to do with the kid or her.

When she does come back to town because her brother is in jail and she needs to care for her nieces the hero finds out, the heroine thought he knew and was finally coming to see his son, when he does finds out he is livid and blames the heroine.

She shows him the letter in which his now dead wife was the author of and he still blames her and threatens to take his son from her.

His mother (what a bitch) encourages him on his quest to sue for custody, oh yeah the heroine is a quite famous author now, while he just owns and runs the family business.

All the town folks stare daggers at the heroine and makes snarky comments to her about keeping the hero's son away from him.

Both the h and H were unlikeable, nothing about that story screamed of a happy ending.
Lea AAR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to the number of posts within this thread, it's time to close this one and start another. If you want to keep the discussion going, please start a new thread. Anyone can start the thread.

Once the new thread is started, this thread will be locked to new posts but will still be available for viewing.

Thanks!

Audiobooks Bookshelf at Goodreads http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/4403718
CryingRaven

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I'm new and I hope you dont mind me jumping into this great thread.

Ok the worst books I have read? Well they aren’t as bad as some of the ones you people have posted about, but given that they were from best selling authors, they should have been better!

Ok first one that comes to mind. Lacy by Nora Hess: I read this a long time ago.
Utter crap! Set somewhere in the west I think. Girl (Lacy)lives selling snake oil with her old father. Father dies and of course girl is alone. I can’t think of the Hero’s name at all, it could have been Colt, or Buck, or Blaze, or something of the kind. Anywho, he comes upon the girl and thinks “”Ohhh a whore, I’ll marry her to piss off my old man.” <~~~~ not sure where the logic was in this.

So Lacy agrees because she doesn’t want to be alone. After a rape for a wedding night he takes her and drops her off at some dead guy’s farm. Leaves her there for months only going to see her so that he can lift her skirt a few times. All the while he is seeing another woman on the side.

So then somehow he moves her in with him. His girl on the side starts sleeping with his dad and then he drops her. Lacy of corse is prego so now everything is ok with her husband because he loves her now?

It ended with the dad and the side girl being trampled by cattle in the end.

It just never got around to a plot at all. It was just tacked together.

To tell the truth I’m shocked no one else has posted about Nora Hess. Maybe you all were just old enough to know a bad book when you seen one?

The next I want to talk about was a Diana Palmer book. Now I have to say as far as an easy read I like her books. I cut my teeth on her books. And in a way they are comfortable for me to read.
But even I have to say she has not wrote anything in the last 10 years worth reading.

One book by her is, True Colors.

This book had some good makings. This girl was taken advantage buy incredibly sexy and more experienced guy. She is engaged to the guy but his meddling mother with only a few lies get’s him to believe the girl is a thief and sleeping with another guy. So he quickly drops the girl not knowing she is with child. The girl runs to NY where she is hit by a car and the owner (Henry) is a very nice, handsome, wealthy guy, who loves her on sight. Takes her home, takes care of her every need, and marries her. He doesn’t ask her anything in return. He even puts her through school and treats her kid like his own. She says at that time that she fell in love with him. And how much she grew up and became an independent woman

But Henry dies in a crash and so she takes over his huge business. She then decides to take over the business of her boy’s father as a way to get revenge. But as soon as she sees him she loses all spine and ohhh suddenly she is in bed again with him. Then he finds out about the boy and wants to make amends.

In short the guy never really owned up to the fact that he had been a huge ass. Though he did admit that he got engaged to her just to sleep with her. As if that would win him any brownie points in my BOOK! She then while they were having sex told him “Ohhh you are my only love.” WTH about Henry?! She had clearly said that she loved him while he was with her. So she only loves the guy she is having sex with?

The book made me so mad because in my mind it could have been so much better to show that the nice guy is a better choice by far! Who needs a jerk when you can have a guy who loves you no matter what. And one that helps you better yourself.

In real life this girl would have been so over the daddy of her baby she wouldn’t have even given him the time of day.

I have more but that’s all for now.
Lea AAR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like I didn't lock this thread as planned.

I wanted others to have the opportunity to respond to CryingRaven. I'll be locking it in a few days. In the meantime, can someone else start a new thread on this subject if you want the discussion to continue?

Thanks.

Audiobooks Bookshelf at Goodreads http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/4403718
ungcl

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Worsr romances I've read Reply with quote

styles31 wrote:
As someone who was born in the late 70's, I must confess on not having read many of the romances that were published in the 80's. (Judging from some of your comments, it sounds like I didn't miss much)
Anyway, some of the books that stand out in my mind as books that I will NEVER read again are:
"A Knight in Shining Armor" by Jude Deveraux. I hated, hated, HATED the ending except for the part where the heroine finally stands up for herself. Also, I found her constant weepiness to be a bit annoying.
"To love again" by Beatrice Small. I liked the time period and the main characters were decent. I couldn't handle the graphic love scenes, though, and the one where she had just had a baby and was still nursing when the villian shuts her up in a tower or something and drinks some of her breast milk. Shocked THAT pretty much killed it for me right then and there.
"Devil's Embrace" by Catherine Coulter.I was curious about it, so I decided to read the reissue version in Borders. I am very glad I didn't buy it as I thought the hero was a jerk and I could NOT get past the infamous gang-rape scene, and then her losing her baby b/c of it. That scene alone burned in my memory for many days afterward. Exclamation
"Ride the fire" by Pamela Clare. At first, I really liked it and liked Nicholas, the hero of the story. But, then I read it again several months later, and while I still like Nicholas, I now think that it is a book that is pretty dark and depressing in many places; a little TOO dark and depressing for me.
"Delacey's Angel" by Monique Ellis. Too many secondary characters, including the hero's best friend who had a major chip on his shoulder and a nasty attitude to go with it. I could never figure out what was up with him. And too many big words in it. I spent so much time tying to understand what she was trying to say that it pretty much killed it for me.

I adore A knight in shining armor... it's my first Romance novel ever, this book got me hooked on romance novels.
Leena

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I would name Christina Dodd´s "Rules of Surrender" as worst romance novel.
I liked the premise and the first pages were quite wonderful, but I have never, never disliked a romance "hero" as much as the guy in that novel. He bullies the heroine, is arrogant and a total jerk. He also tells her what´s right for her and what she likes and there is also the issue of forced seduction. I remember how appalled I was that this was considered to be "romantic". The worst thing was that it put me in a historical romance funk for a long time.

I think I read a couple of books that were worse written and had a sillier plot, but I doubt I´ve ever been so angry with a hero (and the heroine for sticking with such a jerk)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 21 of 22

Jump to: