AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which one of these books should I read?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlandros

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Which one of these books should I read? Reply with quote

I went in a bookswapping spree and now can't decide which book to start reading...which one would you recommend?
* The Proposition by Judith Ivory
* The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever by Julia Quinn
* After the Night by Linda Howard
* Devil's Bride by Stephanie Laurens
* Secrets of a Summer Night by Lisa Kleypas
* The Raider's Bride by Kimberly Cates
* After Midnight by Teresa Medeiros
* The Vampire Who Loved Me by Teresa Medeiros
* His Every Kiss by Laura Lee Guhrke (you're right, willaful!)
* Seduced by Victoria Henley
* Midnight Rain by Ruth Wind

Last edited by dlandros on Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total
jenreads

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midnight Rain by Ruth Wind. A nice, sultry read for a summer day.
RichMissTallant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read most of those; I'm biased toward Julia Quinn, but I remember quite liking It's In His Kiss . And I found Devil's Bride to be one of the only Cynster novels worth reading... they become so repetitive!!

http://dreamingenigma.livejournal.com

Last edited by RichMissTallant on Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Trish B

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Which one of this books should I read? Reply with quote

dlandros wrote:
I went in a bookswapping spread and now can't decide which book to start reading...which one would you recommend?
* The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever by Julia Quinn
* Devil's Bride by Stephanie Laurens
* Secrets of a Summer Night by Lisa Kleypas
* The Raider's Bride by Kimberly Cates
* After Midnight by Teresa Medeiros
* The Vampire Who Loved Me by Teresa Medeiros
* It's in His Kiss by Laura Lee Guhrke
* Seduced by Victoria Henley

If you want something on the lighthearted/witty side, I'd recommend The Proposition and It's in His Kiss. I agree that Devil's Bride is likely the best Laurens ever wrote. Though I seem to recall that many didn't care for it at the time it came out, Secrets of a Summer Night now seems fairly well favored of the Wallflowers series. It's a self-made-man-pursues-aristocratic-female-who-must-marry-for-money story.
angelika

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both books Laura Lee Guhrke and Stephanie Laurens are the first in a series. I enjoyed both, not necessarilly every book in each series but overall a grade B.
athena_d

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a die-hard fan of Linda Howard's oldies. I would highly recommend "After the Night" by her and anything from Lisa Kleypas (you cant go wrong with her Very Happy)

HAPPY READING!
Athena
RichMissTallant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would highly recommend "After the Night"

This is one of my faves by Linda Howard - I like that Faith has had a crush on Gray since childhood, and woooooooo... to the OP: be prepared to fan yourself, this has some hot hot HOT love scenes.

http://dreamingenigma.livejournal.com
xina

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for the Linda Howard too. Loved this book, although you've got some very good books, I would read this one first. I remember I read the first 50 pages in a traffic jam on the freeway! Love this book. One of my favorites by this author.
Tess

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually just finished A Vampire Who Loved me, and I absolutely loved it!!! It is now one of my favorites from Medeiros. You would have to read After Midnight first though, since A Vampire Who Loved Me is the sequel.
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I went in a bookswapping spread and now can't decide which book to start reading...which one would you recommend?

I've only read these three books from your list. They're all good books. Not a bomb amongst them. I would read these three in this order and the only reason I would put Linda Howard's second is because I read it while I was traveling on vacation and I was somewhat distracted. It's a very hot, sultry book though, and I plan on re-reading it. Wind's book is so heartfelt. It's romantic and sexy, but it touches on issues about family, community, racial and social issues. It's a bit deeper, so that's why I put it first.
Nicole

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote is for the Proposition by Judith Ivory. That one was a real winner for me.
willaful

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely the Gurhke is actually titled His Every Kiss? I believe it's the second in a series, not the first, but its a very loosely connected series that can be read out of order. It's a very good book.

Unless you meant Its in His Kiss by Julia Quinn, which frankly I thought was terrible.

After the Night is terrific if you want something kinda dark and very hot.
dlandros

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks willaful for pointing out the correct title of the LLG book.

And thanks all for your opinion. I'll probably start with After The Night because I've been reading to many historicals lately and I don't think I've ever read anything by LH. I was tempted by Devil's Bride and Secrets of a Summer Night - like you, I've heard that DB is the best of the Cynster series and after suffering through a gazillion books in the series, I felt I should try this one. I've also read the rest of the Wallflowers series and want to complete it.

Somebody also recommended me The Proposition and it sounds like such a fun plot! Well, you can see why I was in trouble picking a book to read (and after I started this thread, I received Tapestry in the mail which I understand is awesome but angsty!)
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda Howard's After the Night gets my vote too. Followed by Midnight Rain
KarenS

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having read only three of the above mentioned books, I happily recommend After the Night which is hot and funny(great combination), In the Midnight Rain which is a wonderful atmospheric story of a small Southern town and Secrets of a Summers Night which is a nice historical. Howard, Wind and Kleypas are great story tellers so enjoy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: