AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Re-reading
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: rereading Reply with quote

Kayne wrote:
I also read for comfort, especially Amanda Quick, JAK, and Lynne Graham. Many of my comfort reads are not necessarily my top favorite books. Sometimes those can be emotionally draining or require concentration that I don't have the time or energy for. I like rereading because I tend to speed read new books to find out what happens in the story but with rereading I already know the outcome so I can take it slower and savor the writing and mood.

Kayne, that sounds so like me! I agree about generally not rereading emotionally draining books. Although sometimes I'm in the need of a good cry, so will read sections of some books (One Perfect Rose comes to mind).

I too tend to speed read new books, so it's on the second read (or listen on audio book) that I catch all the details....(but I promise I don't speed read through books I read for review.).
Schola

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent last night and this morning rereading Worth Any Price by Lisa Kleypas, a novel I didn't like the first time around. (Personal reasons: any hint of Tantric sex is a big turnoff.)

This time, I saw something that I hadn't noticed before: Lottie withholds her kisses from Nick until a crucial point late in the novel. They've been married for months, having the kind of sex every night that makes her a little embarrassed to face him the next morning, and yet since before they were married they haven't pressed their lips together!

I wonder why this fact didn't register during my first reading.
RichMissTallant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been in a bit of a romance funk lately, not really finishing books, so I decided to go back and re-read not only old favourites, but books I had read only once yet remembered liking a lot. I just finished Duke of Sin by Adele Ashworth, which falls into the latter category.

This time around, a few things annoyed me that didn't the first time - like the change in identity, which I didn't think was carried off that well due to earlier scenes such as Elinor visiting "Gilbert" in the pub. And even though the Big Mis was cleared up pretty quickly, any hint of a misunderstanding bothers me in romance novels.

That being said, I remembered why I enjoyed it so much the first time. I think Will is a great hero; there's something so sweet and, well, vulnerable about him. And of course, it's always nice to have an older heroine with a bit of sense. It's one of the only instances where the virgin widow plot device didn't bother me because I thought her backstory with her impotent, opium-addicted husband gave sufficient reason. And the love scenes ? Wow. I forgot how well Ashworth can write a love scene. I feel like a lot of authors can write a pretty decent love scene, but she manages to makes really erotic at the same time.
Cyl

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the last week, I've been re-reading the Patricia Briggs short story in On the Prowl & the third book in her Mercy Thompson series, as well as Stephenie Meyer's Twilight books. And Yes, they are still good.

The week before that, I read the new Loretta Chase - enjoyed it; Karen Templeton's Baby, I'm Yours - enjoyed it too; and I started Tasha Alexander's series featuring Lady Emily Ashton - very good book.
kspears

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I belong to a romance discussion group and recently we decided to read a few authors that we would classify as the "mothers" of romance. We had a list of about 7, among them Barbara Cartland, Katherine Woodiwiss, Georgette Heyer, Jane Austin, Anya Seton, Mary Steward, Phyllis Whitney. It's been interesting, one member in the group tried to read one of Woodiwiss's later books and couldn't make it through. I tried one of Mary Stewart's, discovered it was in first person and couldn't read it. So, now I'm reading Anya Seton's Dragonwyck (1941). So far, it's quite good, but the writing style is not what I'm used to, so even that one is a little harder to read than what I expected. So far, the whole experiment as been interesting.
Audrey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to reread quite a bit but in the last year and a half, can't even keep up with my new reads and am developing quite a TBR pile. Even so, things were so hectic before Christmas, I pulled out an old favorite so I could still read a little before bed each night but didn't have to concentrate so much on it. I picked Dara Joy's Knight of a Trillion Stars which I hadn't read in a long time. Big mistake. It was terrible. Or was it me? Did the book suffer by my inattention and reading in such short little bursts? I can't bring myself to throw it in the DNK bag just yet so am going to try it again when things are a little more peaceful. This is the only time it's happened to me. Usually when I reread, I like the book just as much if not more than I did the first time.

Edited to add: I forgot I was also going to say that when I reread, it's quite often because I want to read a whole series before a new one comes out, especially if it's the last one.
Sheila

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-reading old favorites is like a nice hot plate of mac & cheese--a real comfort when your brain is too tired to think about unfamiliar characters, or you need to be comforted. Confused

Mine are Susan E. Phillips later books, Julie Garwood medievals,
certain Linda Howard's, Madeline Hunter early medievals, all Georgette Heyer, some Catherine Coulter, early Joan Smith (writes like Georgette Heyer), and sigh...too many to list.
Schola

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shiela wrote:
Re-reading old favorites is like a nice hot plate of mac & cheese--a real comfort when your brain is too tired to think about unfamiliar characters, or you need to be comforted.

In that case, rereading books you didn't like the first time around is like giving a second chance to a dish that once gave you heartburn! Wink

That was what I did two nights ago with Loretta Chase's Miss Wonderful. I hated it the first time around; and since it was my first Chase, I almost gave up on her completely.

I gave it a second chance and . . . was unexpectedly charmed! Very Happy I still think it's the weakest of the first three Carsington books, but it's not half as bad as I had originally thought. My guess is that I had a negative reaction to a new writing style and not the writer herself.
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re-reading Reply with quote

Schola wrote:

That was what I did two nights ago with Loretta Chase's Miss Wonderful. I hated it the first time around; and since it was my first Chase, I almost gave up on her completely.

I gave it a second chance and . . . was unexpectedly charmed! Very Happy I still think it's the weakest of the first three Carsington books, but it's not half as bad as I had originally thought. My guess is that I had a negative reaction to a new writing style and not the writer herself.

I'm so glad you enjoyed Miss Wonderful on your second attempt. I know it's flawed, but I think charming is a perfect word to describe both the story and the hero, and I'm a sucker for charming.
lizabeth24seven

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone i am new here. I have been a lover of romance novels since my teens.So happy to find this site with avid readers like myself.
With the economy being what it is i have put myself on a book allowance Laughing
So i am reading all my old favorites right now.Julie Garwood,Judith McNaught and Johanna Lindsey to name a few .
WandaSue

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently re-reading "The Bronze Horseman."

Ah ... Alexander - ! He is at the top of my list of gorgeous, tormented, flawed, and yet truly heroic heroes.

This second reading of this very long book is opening my eyes to details and themes that I hadn't caught the first time around. It makes for a very rich reading experience...
Tess

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished re-reading Johanna Lindsey's Tender Rebel. I have read this book so many times It looks like I picked it up off the street after getting run over by a truck. I usually take care of my books, but this one has travelled in my purse on and off for years.
I love the first 3 Mallory books, but Anthony Mallory is one of my favorite Lindsey heroes.

My other favorite re-read is Man of My Dreams. My #2 favorite comfort read. Also featuring one of my favorite heroes, Ambrose St. James. This one is missing the front part of the cover Embarassed LOL
Mingqi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the few books i always reread- like every few months- are Match Me if you can by Susan Elizabeth Phillips, This Heart of Mine by Susan Elizabeth Phillips, The Viscount who Loved Me by Julia Quinn, and Bridal Favors by Connie Brockway, Something about Emmaline by Elizabeth Boyle, and That Scandalous Evening by Christina Dodd- they're the lightest romance novels that I own and I love reading them when I don't have new titles on me or in the bathroom doing the number two (i seriously can't be the only one who reads in the bathroom!). They're my comfort reads and I like them just the same each time I've read it- sometimes even more. I thought That Scandalous Evening was even funnier on the second read.

There were a few other books that I tried rereading and found them not as wonderful as I thought before- mostly the Johanna Lindsey ones-which is sort of sad because I had bought them for the purpose of rereading them- after having read a library copy first. I haven't encountered many romance books that I disliked at first but read better on the second try- but there were authors who I didn't like at first but years later, tried out again and discovered that their writing style didn't irk me as it used to.

Last edited by Mingqi on Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
xina

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WandaSue wrote:
I am currently re-reading "The Bronze Horseman."

Ah ... Alexander - ! He is at the top of my list of gorgeous, tormented, flawed, and yet truly heroic heroes.

This second reading of this very long book is opening my eyes to details and themes that I hadn't caught the first time around. It makes for a very rich reading experience...

Oh, me too! I'm not rereading this book right now, but I have read it at least 3 times...and I am not a big rereader (too many non read books in my extensive pile(s)) But you mentioned exactly why I have enjoyed it so much...the story is rich and full of life. Love Alexander too from the moment he spots her on the bench eating ice cream in her most-loved dress. I have, in fact, read the whole series several times. I just think this couple is very real to me.
Schola

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently only rereading old books. It's surprising which novels I found only average during the first try that I consider comfort reads today!

Who would have guessed that Leigh Greenwood's Texas Tender would end up the proverbial chicken soup for my soul? His prose isn't much to write home about, but the very sweet romance in this novel really hits the spot. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: